View Full Version : Insight - A question for the bipolars

BellaVita
05-20-14, 04:50 AM
I'm writing this on impulse so it may not make sense

So bipolars -

How do you, when in an episode, catch yourself when you begin to lose insight? Can you? (It may not be even possible...depending on severity and stage if episode)

If so, how?

Any tricks or ideas?

Ways to stay grounded and rational when in an episode?

I mean, basically ways to not mess everything up. I know it's silly to say "how to be rational when manic." :p

Abi
05-20-14, 05:05 AM
Hard question.

Experience. MANY years of experience. And that's while being medicated.

I don't really know how good at it I am, after 6 years with the dx.

Abi
05-20-14, 05:07 AM
I usually take extra sedatives (Klonopin, Depakote, Haldol, Antihistamines, Opioids) and avoid stressful work and people. Try to get as much sleep as possible - easier said than done.

BellaVita
05-20-14, 05:25 AM
Okay, thanks.

Klonis are a good thing.

It's just....once I lose insight then that's when things start spinning out of control

Cuz then I'm not in control

Well, I don't realize I'm not at the time....

Ya know?

Abi
05-20-14, 05:28 AM
Yes.

xx

BellaVita
05-20-14, 05:29 AM
I hate when I realize how stupid I was being and out-of-character when the episode is over......

Fuzzy12
05-20-14, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure I actually lose insight (well, actually I'm not sure I really am bipolar :rolleyes:), but what happens is usually that I'm well aware of my actions and their possible consequences but I still can't stop myself. Often I keep telling myself (or screaming at and begging myself) that what I'm doing is a really, really bad idea but then I continue doing it anyway.

By actions I mean everything, thoughts, emotions, speech, activities, posting (:rolleyes:), etc. Often I know that my thinking is flawed or just plain wrong but my emotions and my actions based on these emotions don't change.

I don't think that's what you are talking about though. I think, Abi's suggestions are really good ones, i.e. staying away from stressful situations or people, getting adequate sleep and in general, just taking care of yourself (in whatever way you can)

Maybe also writing down your thoughts helps or if possible trying to pause before EVERY action and questioning yourself if what you are about to do is a good idea (if that is possible at all).

phantasm
05-20-14, 03:53 PM
I can give you an example of what I think you may be getting at...

Last week I got in an argument with my husband. We both thought we were right, and wouldn't budge from our opinion. I got triggered, big time, and was beyond irritated with him and everything else in my life. :mad:

A few days into these bad feelings I started to wonder if I was being over-emotional. But I also felt justified :eyebrow:, so I knew I wasn't going to snap out of it until I could think rationally, somehow.

The only thing that made sense for me to do was to avoid my husband at all costs until I stabilized. There has been times when I KNOW that I am being over-emotional, and I will actually tell him that I can't be around him until I calm down. It could take a couple days. And he respects when I tell him that.

But honestly, I feel justified in my feelings about 80% of the time. So it's hard for me to take control of my emotions, when I feel justified. So I have to wait until my emotions lift and think clearly again.

sarahsweets
05-21-14, 04:24 AM
The path of destruction I leave isnt realized until the episode has passed. Usually I have to ride it out and hope for the best.

InvitroCanibal
08-20-14, 12:19 PM
I'm writing this on impulse so it may not make sense

So bipolars -

How do you, when in an episode, catch yourself when you begin to lose insight? Can you? (It may not be even possible...depending on severity and stage if episode)

If so, how?

Any tricks or ideas?

Ways to stay grounded and rational when in an episode?

I mean, basically ways to not mess everything up. I know it's silly to say "how to be rational when manic." :p

I judge by my sleeping habits. The less I sleep, the more manic or depressed I am or will be. Often sleep issues come before any changes in states. If my sleep is off I address it quickly by temporarily taking more lithium at night to rebalance my sleep. That does the trick and generally halts hypomania/depression.

It was really really hard to get out of a manic state when I was in one earlier this year and I had to take quite a bit of lithium to calm it down. When I came out of it, I slept like I hadn't slept in years. I don't actually take lithium anymore, I take lamictal at 200mgs and lurasidone at 20 mgs a day. It's been months and so far so good. There were a few close calls related to pulling all nighters for studying but over all I feel fine.

fracturedstory
08-20-14, 11:39 PM
Self-talk. Wait, are you sure this isn't a delusion? Cease all thoughts around it at once. Run away! Trust me, you'll thank me when you come down from this.

Sincerely, your brain.

Speaking of sleep, I haven't been sleeping too well lately. Not anxious, not depressed, just can't sleep, active brain etc. Sometimes I wonder why I even go to bed at all.