View Full Version : Abilify + Strattera (or an Antidepressant)

SubtletyIsKey
05-22-14, 12:44 AM
Hey there. I have been taking Abilify for about 2.5 years. I was diagnosed with ADD prior to taking this anti-psychotic. I know psychotic symptoms are generally worsened by stimulant medicines (adderall, etc.). At the same time, before the adderall I had been taking made me feel on edge and eventually ill, it had calming effect on my social anxiety as well as made my depression slip away.

Now, I'm at a point where the Abilify has quelled my mind, and I think it's time to address my lack of focus and general tiredness. I sort of feel like I'm in a whole because of anxiety (mainly social) at this point.

I have heard good things about Strattera from others in similar situations as me. Does anyone have a good experience with Strattera + an anti-psychotic? Also, my psychologist mentioned that an antidepressant could also work for me. I am going to address all of this with psychiatrist in the near future.

If anyone has been in a similar situation or cares to input anything related to my post, feel free.

Thanks for reading :)

peripatetic
05-22-14, 11:38 AM
I've not taken strattera because it's supposed to be potentially activating given its antidepressant properties, which for me would be harder to navigate than stimulants being potentially activating. I do know others who've taken strattera with antipsychotics successfully though and suspect it has to do with what your situation is. Abilify itself can be a more potentially activating antipsychotic, for example, and so I can't take it, but that you take it successfully could make you more/less likely to be able to tolerate strattera.

Glad you're planning on broaching the subject with your psychiatrist and best wishes for continued stability x

SubtletyIsKey
05-22-14, 03:27 PM
I've not taken strattera because it's supposed to be potentially activating given its antidepressant properties, which for me would be harder to navigate than stimulants being potentially activating. I do know others who've taken strattera with antipsychotics successfully though and suspect it has to do with what your situation is. Abilify itself can be a more potentially activating antipsychotic, for example, and so I can't take it, but that you take it successfully could make you more/less likely to be able to tolerate strattera.

Glad you're planning on broaching the subject with your psychiatrist and best wishes for continued stability x

Thanks for the quick response. What exactly do you mean by potentially activating? Does that have to do with the neurotransmitters in the brain?

peripatetic
05-23-14, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the quick response. What exactly do you mean by potentially activating? Does that have to do with the neurotransmitters in the brain?

um...i don't know anything about transmitters and i probably would do best not to be thinking about them or any other brain devices and so forth.

what i mean by "potentially activitating" is...in whatever way it is that you lost your **** and ended up on antipsychotics...that has potential to be aggravated/exacerbated by certain things, chief among them would be antidepressants for me. abilify also is a weird medication insofar as it has some antidepressant properties or something that can increase agitation in certain people.

does that make more sense, i hope?

embarkamood
12-26-15, 09:19 PM
I was on Strattera for 2 yrs which was working great, but then they put me on abilify maintana and my strattera stopped working.

maysarieltiff
08-03-16, 11:01 PM
Strattera made me feel withdrawn and gave me the shakes, but I was on it with the abilify and lamotrigine. I feel it might have helped my ADD symptoms slightly, which I am having difficulty finding something that does but, that is one drug I had side effects from, and honestly I never have side effects from like anything.

Fluppets
09-14-17, 05:26 AM
Hi,

I have ADD-Primarily Inattentive (no hyperactivity).
I am currently on a combination of 5 mg of Aripiprazole (Abilify) and 200 mg of Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (Serlain/Sertraline).

This combination has been working well for me; reduces my anxiety (SSRI) and depressive symptoms and reduces the Impulsive and compulsive symptoms (Abilify). However I still have trouble keeping a long-term focus and finishing longer tasks aswell as a generall sensibility to addiction/obsession.

All in all I would recommend this combination for its limited side-effects and ease-of use (they only work on one neurotransmitter at a time, while some drugs affect multiple at a time, making it impossible evaluate a drug's effect).

I am thinking of adding some form of Guanfacine (α2A adrenergic receptor), but I always do my research first.

Tom-Tom
10-16-17, 05:13 PM
I took Focalin[40mg, 2yrs] + Welbutrin[3oomg,25yrs] mixture a couple of years with very good rsults. [Many people only take one or the other.] Was looking for ''new experiences/kicks'' and a clinical soc. worker thought I was depressed. She thought I should try a low dose add-on antidepressant. Researched the idea and gave a list of maybe's to my shrink[of last 20yrs]. The shrink picked out, not an antidepressant, but the only antipsychotic the list --Abilify[2mg]. Only a week so far... maybe I >was< depressed?! -I've even had some minor physical problems get better! [I know what Abilify does, but I don't understand the biochemistry yet.] By-the-way, the cost of brand name Abilify is outrageous. Generic is quite reasonable. BTW I'm 71 years old but getting younger! [Hope you have good luck with Strattera. Some people do okay with it.] Bye...