View Full Version : do i exercise too much?

peripatetic
05-22-14, 06:23 PM
does anyone else? or has anyone been told this in the context of being told you're suspected of having an eating disorder?

i think it's a god damned filthy lie, but i think that about labels applied to me more generally, at least at first. or for years , as the case may be. that's not really the point though. what is the point is this:

my being chronically underweight has come under a lens all of a sudden and i know it looks bad that i am a slimmer sort BUT i run to sort my head. it's not now and never has been for weight loss and i started running with my father as an early teen. plus my whole family is and i should be much heavier in light of meds and such so i really think i just have a ridiculous metabolism.

but then how much exercise IS too much?
has anyone else been told they might/have "exercise bulimia" was the term that came out of her lying mouth.

(and yes i realize that i am not being very gracious about it; it's a long day for me of late and to have that cap it off is a colossal "**** you peri" that i didn't need. better i vent here and was much kinder to her then :))

cheers for any insight/perspective on this x

Nicksgonefishin
05-22-14, 06:34 PM
(((peri)))

You need more bacon!

Flory
05-22-14, 07:52 PM
I used to over exercise when I was sick with eating problems but provided you're balancing your calories and having a rest day here and there monitoring your heart health as far as running goes I don't think you can over do it

dvdnvwls
05-22-14, 08:20 PM
Balance between the exercise and the food is the key. The indicator of successful balance is maintaining stable normal healthy weight over a period of years. All other factors (such as metabolism, heredity, medication, reasons for exercising, anything else) are subordinate to maintaining normal healthy weight.

If you exercise a lot, whether by running or other methods, that's usually fine (with exceptions when it begins to cause disruption of or neglect of other normal activities); but with more exercise you need to provide more food (and often better food in terms of nutritional value) in order to maintain a healthy body. You yourself acknowledge chronic underweight; it's apparent from this person's comments that your already-low weight has decreased further; the inescapable conclusion is that you truly must gain and keep some weight, either by a considerable decrease in exercise (let's say half) or a considerable increase in food (let's say double).

Doctors and other professionals universally look approvingly on anyone who truly merits the term "a slimmer sort". There is a qualitative difference between simply being "a slimmer sort" and having compromised health due to a severe imbalance between exercise and food. Calling oneself "a slimmer sort" under these circumstances is... well, at best it's equivocation, wouldn't you agree?

The person you're talking about may already know that in fact (for whatever reason) you are simply not going to double or triple your food intake at short notice, and may therefore have concluded that sharply reducing exercise is the only practicable method right now for allowing you to maintain health; or may have reason to believe that exercise is disrupting or eliminating other activities from your life (in which case it would be some kind of disorder in its own right, regardless of weight or physical health).

Having a ridiculous metabolism is fine - but the person with a ridiculous metabolism has only two choices: to eat a (proportionally) ridiculously large amount of food each day, or to sharply reduce their exercise, or both. High metabolism doesn't make severe underweight somehow magically acceptable.

Stevuke79
05-22-14, 08:25 PM
I've not been accused of exercise bulimia, but I've been accused of excessively working out in the past.

Does exercise disrupt your life?
Cause you to miss work fun and other things that you should be doing?
Do you not give yourself recovery time and rest? Or exercise while injured?
Do you define your worth in terms of fitness or performance?
Obsess over your physique?

IMO, having spend 45 seconds on the wikipedia entry, if you don't do a few of these, then you're just obsessed with a fine hobby. Obsessing over hobbies that mean something to us is a great thing. Enjoy!!

Stevuke79
05-22-14, 09:05 PM
This reminded me of a good knock a colleague had years ago about it. I would drink about 3 shakes a day and had at any given time had several large containers of powder under my desk. I was defending myself that I ate fine and plenty of real food and she said, "ok fine,.. Steven, let's change the subject. Describe bread for me."

Anyway, what kinds of things are they saying?

sarek
05-23-14, 03:46 AM
Contrary to most popular opinions out there its a lot harder to lose weight through exercising than is commonly assumed. Diet is a much bigger factor in this and probably the biggest factor is your metabolic rate.

My definition of good exercise is whatever you feel good about. If it does for you what you want it to do for you, then its good exercise. If it gives you physical discomfort of any kind, then its obviously too much. Listening to your body is most important in this respect.

Abi
05-23-14, 03:57 AM
You're the hyperactive sort and have a naturally fast metabolism. I don't see a psychological pathology here - beyond the obvious ADHD

Exercise bulimia my @$$

stef
05-23-14, 06:43 AM
If you are just running for you and not with the idea of losing weight, that's perfectly healthy!
my boss is one of these people with an insanely high metabolism. He's very thin, I know he never skips lunch and has snacks often.

Corina86
05-23-14, 07:04 AM
Can I ask you what your age, weight and height are? Do you feel you're underweight, do you look like it? Do you have any health issues? How much do you actually exercise? The way you look as well as your BMI are heavily influenced by how big or heavy your bones are. Thin bones and small body frame will make you look super skinny even if you're perfectly normal and big bones will make you look chubby.

There's no such thing as exercise bulimia, otherwise all athletes would be very unhealthy people. You could be under-eating, but, unless she knows that your eating habits are unhealthy, she has no idea that she's talking about.

someothertime
05-23-14, 07:05 AM
i ride for the mind... and i get the head thing totally.....

if there are a few days where i get slack on intake..... i can get pretty lean.

mentally tho... i'm mostly still the better for it... in other words... it is probably "my anchor" during these times....

so maybe the answer is more attunement to intake ( recharging nutrient ).... also... my body is starting to creak... i'm driving it like it's a ferrari and it's a VW... ;) well maybe a ford :)

this would be a real indicator.... tendon issues....and so forth... going two or three times a day.... i don't believe the "gym junkie" et. al. applies to us.... in that it's a regulator..... not an instigator.... if that makes sense....

look after those toes!@!! :) mayb's consult with a fair dunkum nutrient guru too.... oooooo...... mushroom, spinach and casava space food bars :) :) :)

LynneC
05-23-14, 08:38 AM
Do you have a regular period? (feel free not to answer, but maybe something to think about)
If you do, then it's highly unlikely that you are exercising too much, IMO.

How are your joints handling the running?

Do you binge eat and then exercise to burn off calories? That is one of the main symptoms of 'exercise bulimia'.
Here's a good link to check out exercsie bulimia:
http://www.ulifeline.org/articles/401-exercise-bulimia

peripatetic
05-23-14, 10:29 AM
wow, lots to consider; thank you so much for your replies :)

as far as my "stats" go, corina, i'm thirty nine, between five nine and five ten and just under (really, just under) 120. i think it was 118. do i look underweight... i don't think i look sickly. when i was a kid i was really grossly underweight and i always looked just bony. i don't think i look like that now. i asked my partner and he said "you could certainly stand to add some pounds on you, but you're not malnourished looking, no".

as far as the actual exercise is concerned, i go for not more than an hour in the mornings to clear head most days, almost always take a walk in the late afternoon with a friend and my dog...it's kinda our thing to do. on weekends i do sometimes go for longer runs with my dog, but nothing more than a couple of hours. i looked at your link, lynne, and i definitely don't overeat and then run a **** tonnne to compensate. i will admit that my period has stopped in the past. i got one recently though. not long after i was last out of the hospital, in fact. i don't remember specifics, but i do remember talking to a friend and being, like, ****! now i must figure out supplies and m is already left the building.

all i can say about that is, yeah, i've been overthin. not frome diet or restricting and certainly not from direct action, like vomiting, but i get weird and think things about food and food manufacturers and poison and then i also just kinda get....you know, caught up in things that are unrelated to ... i get caught up in having a psychiatric issue that sorta precludes my taking ANY suggestion, largely unrelated to food, but including well meaning suggestions to eat, as anything other than trying to subdue me or something. it's complicated is my point and i don't think it's ...like, i feel like it's almost rude to suggest i have an eating disorder just because i'm thin when there are people who actually need help and i also feel like i'm just ******* hounded by my treatment team all the ******* time and this is just some new pipe dream some random psych nurse, who sucks, by the way, decided to hassle me with today. or, yesterday, that is.

as far as it interfering with other things in life... not so much, no. i mean, i don't work, steve, so that's not really my bag to begin with. but, my joints don't hurt and i'm not prone to shin splints or ankle or knee injuries at all. i ran cross country at uni and that was my heaviest ever simply because we did weights and muscle can pack on some pounds for me. it's really the only thing that does.

i also would say that i absolutely need to talk to my psychiatrist today because, despite the fact that i don't have to go to program, but i do want more information and also to know if *he* thinks this is real or how this came about, you know? frankly, it's not been my best week ever as the therapist for cognitive remediation read aloud some portion of my referral that said "marked cognitive decline" and i ******* was DISpleased to hear that and so i'm not especially keen on pretty much anyone affiliated with any psych+me to begin with. and when she said it, it was in the context of *what i perceived* as alleging medication non compliance. which, i admit i am incapable of having a civil conversation about me and medication compliance at this point. ten years ago? probably. five years ago? maybe. now? abso****inglutely not.

that is to say, i don't know how much of my reading of the events is tinged by the context in which they occured. plus, i'm not always exactly seeing psych nurses as my comrades to begin with. i do know that when i feel threatened i react with (some amount of, to full on) abject hostility and suspicion and that's not an attractive quality of mine, but i do acknowledge it's something that's very much a work in progress about me.

i also just am ******* mentally exhausted. i'm exhausted by labels and trying to fix whatever the **** everyone thinks is wrong and that i have trouble applying things to myself that i can see clearly in others. maybe it is a problem. if not the "exercise bulimia" bit, then, i mean, yeah, i could stand to gain afew pounds, no doubt. i think i balk at anything dsm related or coming from that source because i'm just so ******* tired of having...of feeling scrutinized, you know?

i'm going to have more time later to read over and consider and reply, but on skim, these are my thoughts of the morning. i'm also going to try to get a few minutes with my main psychiatrist because as much as i'm suspicious of others i do trust him and have been with him for almost ten years now, so i feel like, he wouldn't lie to me and hopefully can shed some additional light on this as a thing...if, indeed, it is a thing at all.

cheers to all for reading and giving me much to consider. x

LynneC
05-23-14, 11:26 AM
all i can say about that is, yeah, i've been overthin. not frome diet or restricting and certainly not from direct action, like vomiting, but i get weird and think things about food and food manufacturers and poison and then i also just kinda get....you know, caught up in things that are unrelated to ... i get caught up in having a psychiatric issue that sorta precludes my taking ANY suggestion, largely unrelated to food, but including well meaning suggestions to eat, as anything other than trying to subdue me or something. it's complicated is my point and i don't think it's ...like, i feel like it's almost rude to suggest i have an eating disorder just because i'm thin when there are people who actually need help and i also feel like i'm just ******* hounded by my treatment team all the ******* time and this is just some new pipe dream some random psych nurse, who sucks, by the way, decided to hassle me with today. or, yesterday, that is.
Peri, for a psych nurse to suggest this without having some kind of indication (like, signs other than your thinness) is so ******* irresponsible that it makes me want to scream.

ginniebean
05-23-14, 12:57 PM
If it was a psych nurse talk it over with the psychiatrist. Maybe she'll get her *** kicked. I doubt your in any harm and if injury is ruled out then bugger them!

Stevuke79
05-23-14, 02:54 PM
I'm no expert and I'm curious to know what your doctor says, but what you describe sounds very normal. I'm surprised someone implied it would be a problem.

I am not saying this is the case at all, but it just made me think of this; I've known people who have a problem with thin people. (I know that sounds weird - maybe I'm the only one who could come across such a thing)

dvdnvwls
05-23-14, 03:55 PM
Peri - It sounds to me as if this nurse started from a subjective "She's too thin" judgment, and tried to come up with anything that might sound semi-plausible and might have a chance of getting what she considers a desirable result. It's an insulting stunt to pull on anyone, but takes a particularly clueless person to try to do that with you. :)

Regardless of that stuff, I hope the whole situation turns out well.

Jenn1202
05-23-14, 07:54 PM
As far as I understand people who suffer exercise bulimia are obsessed with exercise, weight loss and calories. They intentionally overexercise in order to burn much more than they eat. It's so bad that they no longer enjoy exercising and they have to really suffer through their workouts. Putting on a couple of pounds is like their worst fear.

Based on what you said you don't seem to suffer from this condition. Doctors and nurses tend to misdiagnose just about any female that's slightly underweight with an eating disorder, so annoying... I was misdiagnosed with anorexia when I was underweight due to hyperthyroidism and gastric problems, and I was desperately trying (and failing) to gain weight. Some people simply don't get that being low weight doesn't necessarily mean that you have an eating disorder, especially if you've been skinny all your life. There are online tests that screen for eating disorders, couldn't hurt to take them just to make sure you don't have one test1 (http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/online-eating-disorder-screening), test2 (http://casapalmera.com/assessments/eating-disorder-self-assessment/), excessive exercise test (http://4collegewomen.org/fact-sheets/excessive.html).

You mentioned that your period has stopped in the past. You may want to get this checked out if it happens again or if your periods are irregular, because this could be an indicator of health problems (e.g. thyroid issues, PCOS, etc). Also, since you are on the thin side and your period stopped in the past, it couldn't hurt to see a nutritionist just to make sure your body is getting everything it needs.

Greyhound1
05-23-14, 08:59 PM
as far as my "stats" go, corina, i'm thirty nine, between five nine and five ten and just under (really, just under) 120. i think it was 118. do i look underweight...

Sounds great to me.
Super models everywhere are calling you fat. :)

Was the offending nurse chunky???

sarahsweets
05-24-14, 05:24 AM
F**K that b**ch! If you like to go running and it clears your head and keeps you in check f**k her for having a problem with it. If she was an eye witness to you binging and purging and over-exercising to drop those 10 lbs then maybe I could see her point but she screams sour grapes to me.

peripatetic
05-24-14, 02:57 PM
cheers to all, and especially for the continued well wishes :)

so, i wrote an email to a friend here upon finishing yesterday with IOP and i'm just going to repaste the bulk here because i'm just kinda spent right now.

Talked to ***** about the weight thing

It sucked mostly

He doesn't think I have an eating disorder *per se* (emphasis emphatically mine). He does "observe patterns of disordered eating " but then that's more to do he thinks with my disordered thinking basically

He said the nurse was out of line to have made any suggestions but I had asked what she was thinking and the issue is it's not her place to say

But then he ******* copped to monitoring my weight to some degree because he sees correlation between my eating and my being unwell and it's not a question of non compliance so much as efficacy with medications

And he also was like, ***** this is not a brand new thing and my weight has long been something that is less than ideal. But I guess I've been having bigger proverbial fish to fry and I don't drop beyond a certain point so it's not a focus but not non existent and we have discussed that I can be overthin especially on intake.

And that's true now that I think on it. We totally have discussed that. But I guess it's never been connected with my running.

He also said that he gets that I'm exhausted and I've been doing well and so forth so I should go spend some time in my garden and hang out with family and just enjoy the weekend and be back Tuesday.

That's kind of a relief but then I also am like why is there always a hassle and he was like because you have chronic mental illness but it's getting better than in years past and even of late and we can talk about how to get you to see that but I can tell you are overwhelmed and I would ask that you see that I'm agreeing with you about this having been a hard week and that's casting a negative tone on everything that is not representative of your progress and where you really are in relation to where you've been.

I think that's what he said. The last bit I did kinda just I am just exhausted by the week and it has been a lot and I kinda ****** off last week I now realize and

You know what really sucks? It's like I can't slip even a little at this point or all hell breaks loose and I feel like that's so established that I'm always fearing more numbers and labels and symptoms and charges and months of court this and that and it's like people forget I'm a person and maybe sometimes I do too.

Anyway, that was a lot to say so i'm going to finish walking home now and maybe go sit in my garden a bit. Hope your appointment goes well xoh, and to the question of her size...she is a more robust woman, yes.

Greyhound1
05-25-14, 06:46 PM
You are about a point away from normal. The high end of underweight.

You are far from an eating disorder, especially if you stay pretty constant with your weight and you don't intentionally restrict calories.

If you can listen to your body and eat when it tells you, that is the best. I heard from a Dr. that most people's ideal weight is what they weighed when they graduated from High School.

One weekend of pizza, pasta and ice cream should do it. :)

U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
NHLBI Entire Site

Health Professional Resources

Calculate Your Body Mass Index

Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.
Enter your weight and height using standard or metric measures.
Select "Compute BMI" and your BMI will appear below.

Your Height:
(feet)5 (inches)9

Your Weight: 120
(pounds)

Your BMI: 17.8

BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.524.9
Overweight = 2529.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

National Institutes of Health Department of Health and Human Services USA.gov

peripatetic
05-25-14, 07:17 PM
That doesn't sound nearly as bad as made it out. She said I was almost two full points (16.7, I think), so maybe she calculated it wrong?

Or is it possible I guess since you gave me the kindest (which I super duper appreciate cheers:)) reading and she gave the harshest? Of the calculation, I mean.

What us striking if that's the case at how much difference a couple of pounds and an inch makes. Eep!

I think I forget to eat a lot and I'm not always good at listening to when I'm hungry because I guess I'm not hungry much. I think for certain her connecting it with my running three me for a big loop and had that not been said then I would probably be more able to wrap my head around what my psychiatrist is saying and why he monitors my weigh to some extent. I just hope this doesn't mean anything is going wrong because I really seriously for ******* real could stand to have things just going smoothly or, dare to dream, well. It's like the horror version of the never ending story sometimes and that film wasn't exactly cheery to begin with.

Corina86
05-26-14, 06:03 AM
You're pretty slim, but I've met women who had pretty much the same stats and they are really physically and mentally healthy- and good looking too.

Monitoring your weight doesn't mean that the treatment is necessarily going wrong or that it needs to be changed. Pretty much all medication affect metabolism, from ADHD meds to birth control, but this doesn't mean people have stopped taking them. It just means that you might need to eat more or less or different depending on how it's affecting your body. Also, there could be other health issues affecting you and weight shifts can be a symptom.

You said that you tend to eat less because you're worried certain foods are unhealthy- this is a very legitimate concern, you should try and eat healthy, but it doesn't mean you should eat less. If healthy food is too expensive or unavailable, then you should just eat something to get to a certain number of calories per day.

anonymouslyadd
05-26-14, 09:51 PM
I think it's too much when it's hurting you. You're running because of its mental benefits, not to counter bulimic behavior.

Being thin is very much an ideal so when you reflect something ideal, you'll come across people that want to say it's a flaw.

I was criticized a bunch for being skinny. You could see my ribs. I was not anorexic or anything. My body just didn't handle calories like other folks and still doesn't.

SB_UK
05-27-14, 09:12 AM
does anyone else? or has anyone been told this in the context of being told you're suspected of having an eating disorder?

i think it's a god damned filthy lie, but i think that about labels applied to me more generally, at least at first. or for years , as the case may be. that's not really the point though. what is the point is this:

my being chronically underweight has come under a lens all of a sudden and i know it looks bad that i am a slimmer sort BUT i run to sort my head. it's not now and never has been for weight loss and i started running with my father as an early teen. plus my whole family is and i should be much heavier in light of meds and such so i really think i just have a ridiculous metabolism.

has anyone else been told they might/have "exercise bulimia" was the term that came out of her lying mouth.

(and yes i realize that i am not being very gracious about it; it's a long day for me of late and to have that cap it off is a colossal "**** you peri" that i didn't need. better i vent here and was much kinder to her then :))

cheers for any insight/perspective on this x

I've found that I have exercised to such a level that I can't grasp bars without pain in the hands or walk without pain in the feet.

Last 2 purchases were for extra-padded gloves to cycle and 2 x silicone insoles for feet padding.

So - I'd suggest that maybe too much exercise reveals itself in injury.

Hoping - that reducing inflammation by severe fasting/dietary change will assist in a return to exercise ... ... ie that they're not 'true' injuries but're exacerbated by inflammation arising from stress exposure / diet - both resulting in a pro-inflammatory state.

-*-

So - I'd suggest that if you can run without pain - then you're OK and I'm very !! jealous.

Stevuke79
05-27-14, 09:34 AM
.. too much exercise reveals itself in injury.

Well said!

This made me think of a favorite concept of mine that I don't have a citation for. I might look one up later on. Someone was talking about cyclists and what makes a champion. He said something about it's not how naturally strong and fit you are,.. it's how much pain you can endure. How much vomit you can stand.

Of course you don't want to hurt yourself exercising but I think that most people make the mistake of thinking that life isn't supposed to hurt. If it's painful your supposed to stop - but if you want to really engage in these activities that's just not the case.

To me this idea is beautiful and mystifying but also 1000% theoretical :). Personally, when it hurts, I stop. Though I wish I was made of better stuff sometimes.

SB_UK
05-27-14, 10:12 AM
Sufficient but not too much pain.

We're up against the eustress / distress interface again.

Abi
05-27-14, 01:38 PM
Taking your height at 5' 9.5" and your weight at 118 lbs I get 17.3.

18 to 25 is considered healthy for women, so you are slightly underweight.

peripatetic
05-28-14, 11:44 AM
I've found that I have exercised to such a level that I can't grasp bars without pain in the hands or walk without pain in the feet.

Last 2 purchases were for extra-padded gloves to cycle and 2 x silicone insoles for feet padding.

So - I'd suggest that maybe too much exercise reveals itself in injury.

Hoping - that reducing inflammation by severe fasting/dietary change will assist in a return to exercise ... ... ie that they're not 'true' injuries but're exacerbated by inflammation arising from stress exposure / diet - both resulting in a pro-inflammatory state.

-*-

So - I'd suggest that if you can run without pain - then you're OK and I'm very !! jealous.

thank you so much for the input!

ah, dear friend, that your inflammation is so much pain...sorry to hear and hope that you can return to exercising soon.
x
yes, i do run without pain. without distress at all? i mean...no, because there is amount of pushing through to be done at times, especially if i go any time without. it's as you said in your second post about distress/eustress. and, yes, absolutely, it's the case that there are aches here and there, and i don't always remember to stretch out first, though i'm really solid with stretching out after.

i never have *sharp* pain, yeah? that's what i think might be key. i get muscle ache and so forth, but i don't have anything sharp. even when i did the double dipsea several years back (that's a ******* brutal race), and i had to be good with icing down after each training run, which is horrible in its own right to plunge ones legs into icewater...no tendon injuries, no patella luxation, etc. frankly, i do think the lighter weight on my joints is why i've been able to be an avid runner for so many years. i think running can do a number on people's joints when they're overweight and push too hard or too far, too fast.

i do need to be better about food intake. i think this whole thing has thrown me for a loop simply because it was linked to my running. if she'd said, you're undereating...yeah, i prolly am. i have what i believe are legitimate concerns about processed food as a plot to poison people and i don't mean with white flour. i mean, there's some **** that people are geared to eat and our government ensures that some things are less expensive to grow.

and i am not going to get political and violate the guidelines, so i'll leave it at that and keep my thoughts about genocide for the new century to self.

still, i should find a way to eat more higher calorie foods. i do tend to eat mostly veg and fruit...and a lot of yoghurt. i mean, a lot of yoghurt. but i eat other stuff that's fatty, i just don't eat enough of it maybe? i also think if i did weights again...like, even a small amount to build muscle, it would add some and would be good weight to have, i suspect.

dvdnvwls
05-28-14, 06:28 PM
Eating mostly vegetables and fruit is certainly a good place to start. Things such as dried beans (cooked in whatever way suits you) tend to yield a lot more food value per serving than fresh vegetables. Adding fat is probably not so necessary as adding good food. If you already eat a lot of yoghurt, then don't increase it any further.

peripatetic
05-28-14, 06:38 PM
Eating mostly vegetables and fruit is certainly a good place to start. Things such as dried beans (cooked in whatever way suits you) tend to yield a lot more food value per serving than fresh vegetables. Adding fat is probably not so necessary as adding good food. If you already eat a lot of yoghurt, then don't increase it any further.

good point on the legumes being denser in calories. i'm also eating a fair amount of whole grains (spelt and millet and farro...some kasha, but i'm not as big a fan of the flavour) overall...but i don't eat a lot at a setting, if that makes sense. i try to put peanut or other nut butter on fruit, especially apples, because the taste and design seems appropriate, but i don't always remember and often just eat plain. i also do eat eggs, but, like, an egg...not three like i think a lot of serving sizes are.

i don't really know how to want to eat more food. although i would say most of the time, i could eat, but i don't think to, but if someone offers me food, i end up eating a fair amount--more than just a bite, i mean...like...a small servings worth. i think i have no idea what serving sizes are, i just realized...

or maybe it's a matter of reminder timers? oy **** that sucks though...i'm timering myself to death i feel.

cheers for the suggestions :)

HADDaball
06-03-14, 07:41 PM
I'm in a similar boat. Fast metabolism?

I'm under the impression that if you eat well most of the time and exercise, being lean is natural and healthy - a good place to be. Some groups of people with the longest healthy lifespans, like the okinawans and sardinians have average BMIs of around 20.

If you're intentionally trying to lose weight by exercising and your BMI is already below 19, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Otherwise, be happy being naturally lean and healthy. Good habits pay off in the long run. :)