View Full Version : ADD med not working?

ToInfinity
05-24-14, 05:40 AM
Hi! I have been diagnosed with ADD and have been taking dexamphetamine for 3 months. I take 2.5 twice a day of the 5mg tablets. But I can't really tell if it's helping me or not. In terms of motivation to do work, I am still procrastinating BIG time! I am doing other stuff instead of uni work. I THINK it is helping with concentration to help my mind from going blank and spacey, but I don't seem to be doing my work. I procrastinate. I don't care. What's wrong with me?

Pilgrim
05-26-14, 02:45 AM
It probably is working. My doctor said to me ' you shouldn't notice it' and his right.
You are in the stage where you are being assessed for your right dose.
There must be pressure on you at the moment in order to perform, but one of the cardinal rules with these medications is 'start low and go slow'.
I can speak from experience because if you go out to hard you will really crash. You don't want that.
Work really close with your Psyciatrist.
I like Dex it really cuts through the problem however there is not much room to play with. If you use to much before your body is ready ,not pleasent.
The idea is titrate up slowly to find the sweet spot .
Even on a low dosage like yours you should feel something.
Maybe there's something else going on.
Goodluck with your studies

Pilgrim
05-26-14, 03:02 AM
I didn't explain that 2 well. That's why I like this forum because there is so many different ideas.
I read something on here from someone to do with organization. The guy nailed it. I sorry I can't remember where. I have to find it myself.
If I can be so bold I try to do 2 things. Do bite sized chunks develop small plans and go from there.
Once I can start something everything else starts to fall away.
This medication is a useful tool but not the answer

dvdnvwls
05-26-14, 02:47 PM
Hi! I have been diagnosed with ADD and have been taking dexamphetamine for 3 months. I take 2.5 twice a day of the 5mg tablets. But I can't really tell if it's helping me or not. In terms of motivation to do work, I am still procrastinating BIG time! I am doing other stuff instead of uni work. I THINK it is helping with concentration to help my mind from going blank and spacey, but I don't seem to be doing my work. I procrastinate. I don't care. What's wrong with me?
When you say "2.5 twice a day of the 5 mg tablets", do you mean 25 mg per day (two-and-a-half of the 5's in the morning and two-and-a-half more 5's in the afternoon)?

Procrastination is not ADHD. Your medication will help you to focus. If you choose to focus on the wrong thing, how can your pill know that?

One common and helpful method is - know when your medication is going to kick in, and make sure that at that time you will already have your uni work and your to-do list in front of you. Sort of the same as on an important day you will lay out your clothes the night before to save trouble, do the same with laying out your work ahead of time.

MarkAfterDark
05-27-14, 07:44 PM
When you say "2.5 twice a day of the 5 mg tablets", do you mean 25 mg per day (two-and-a-half of the 5's in the morning and two-and-a-half more 5's in the afternoon)?

Procrastination is not ADHD. Your medication will help you to focus. If you choose to focus on the wrong thing, how can your pill know that?

One common and helpful method is - know when your medication is going to kick in, and make sure that at that time you will already have your uni work and your to-do list in front of you. Sort of the same as on an important day you will lay out your clothes the night before to save trouble, do the same with laying out your work ahead of time.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. While procrastination may not be a symptom of classic ADHD, it is most certainly a symptom of inattentive and limbic ADD and I have the wear marks in my easy chair to prove it. In fact, when I began treating, I began (within a few weeks) doing things that I procrastinated often.

Let me dig a little deeper. As an example, when I tried to clean my kitchen or bedroom or bathroom, I would feel unmotivated, overwhelmed even sorrowful and tired. I would do a few things then retire to my armchair.

I still have off days where I just can't get it done, but I've had days where I did yard work outside for hours then came inside and cleaned.

MarkAfterDark
05-27-14, 08:05 PM
Try this article:
http://www.everydayhealth.com/adhd-pictures/how-to-stop-procrastinating-with-adhd.aspx

ToInfinity
05-31-14, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys! :)
@dvdnvwls
Yes I meant 25 mg per day.

Also another question. My med intake is one in morning and noon. I tend to put off taking the meds because:
- I really didn't get enough sleep and feeling tired so I didn't want the med to affect my sleeping pattern
- I wake up late and may take the noon intake or not so my sleeping pattern won't be affected.

This is alright to do? I have been doing this many times unfortunately and think it's for the better.
p.s. Do you guys think I have a learning disability? I am having problems forming sentences? and it takes awhile for me to come up with words.

MarkAfterDark
05-31-14, 08:13 PM
Really hard to speculate, but I suspect if you are not taking adequate daily dosages, you are not going to see the benefits.

Maybe ask your doctor about adding 400mg of SAM-e several times a day. It should not interfere with the other meds and may help, but I am in no way medically trained and you should not try without a doctor's approval.

But if your doctor has no problem with it, it does help even out your mood and might make it easier to get up early.

Pilgrim
06-01-14, 09:09 AM
The sentence thing I think is to much medication. Sleep is the most important thing. To go up or down is the important question. One thing to go slow give your body time to adjust.
The ironic thing now is that I sleep better on them than off.
It probably won't matter if you miss dosages but there is something in keeping a certain amount in your bloodstream .I wonder what Sam e is?
Do you have a learning disability, I wonder about me. Maybe the problem is sustained attension