View Full Version : current adhd research

daveddd
05-24-14, 09:03 PM
a thread to share current adhd research from any school of thought, research should be adhd specific and science based

anything about adhd , what it means to you, why its important

a thread for research only? is that possible?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24565362

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24703785

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24480998

http://books.google.com/books?id=kedOwLSynJAC&pg=PA105&dq=emotional+regulation+adhd&hl=en&sa=X&ei=okSBU8T8BpecqAbC5IKYAg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=emotional%20regulation%20adhd&f=false

the much neglected role of emotional liability is currently exploding in research

which is excellent, i believe (based on research not opinion) that this plays a very large role in most aspects of adhd, and personally affected me the most

daveddd
05-24-14, 09:23 PM
"ATTENTIONAL BIAS”

Many with ADHD also report that they tend to have a lot of difficulty with attentional bias. They tend to be particularly alert and quick to notice any comments or actions that fit with the emotions that preoccupy them, often without paying much attention to the context or to other information that might provide a useful different view. Some seem to be constantly alert for signs of things to worry about; others are excessively alert for any signs of potential frustration or discouragement. They become too easily immersed in one especially salient emotion and tend to have chronic problems in shifting their focus to keep in mind other aspects of the situation that might call for a very different response. For example, someone hearing just a slight uncertainty in a coworker's reaction to a suggestion may interpret this as stubborn disapproval and quickly start arguing for his or her idea without listening adequately to understand the coworker's actual response. Attentional bias may fuel feelings of depression, anxiety, or argumentativeness or cause the person to lose interest in a particular goal.

1 thomas brown 'smart but stuck:emotions in teens and adults with adhd" page 19

thomas browns research as adhd being attentional bias, as opposed to deficit (i believe barkley also says this with different wording

for those of us who are tired of hearing "well you can pay attention to "fill in the blank" , so i don't but you can't pay attention to "so and so"

Gina
05-25-14, 02:02 AM
a thread to share current adhd research from any school of thought, research should be adhd specific and science based
the much neglected role of emotional liability is currently exploding in research

which is excellent, i believe (based on research not opinion) that this plays a very large role in most aspects of adhd, and personally affected me the most

I agree about the emotional lability. I remember writing to researchers and clinicians 15 years ago, asking about it. I had observed it in my husband (who has ADHD) and then it was reported a lot a support group I started.

But when I'd ask some professionals about it, they'd try to convince me that wasn't ADHD; it was a mood disorder.

I persisted. Finally, I wrote to Barkley. He confirmed and said it was an important area of research.

Thank goodness for Barkley. Without him, this field would largely have been lost in the wilderness.

SB_UK
05-25-14, 02:43 AM
emotional lability

If asked - I'd describe my default state of mind as 'driving without any other cars on a motorway in the sunshine' and what society does to my mind - as road rage ie EVERYBODY making EVERYTHING as hard as possible for other people - such that the simplest of things becomes impossible.

So - from my perspective emotional lability IS an essential part of ADHD.

Because we want to be in a certain frame of mind and we're not allowed to relax into it, because unpleasant demands are being made of us throughout the day - which we can't be in auto-pilot for.

IE failing to maintan that very particular 'daydreamy' state of mind results in emotional lability.

-*-

Now can we achieve anything in that state of mind ?

Yes and much more so - the state of mind appears to be related to creativity.
The lower - particularly alpha / theta EEG interface has been connected to creativity (I won't reference this observation as it's everywhere).

But what's most important about this state of mind ?
The individual feels safe.

Give examples of situations which take the individual out of this safe creative place ?
A classroom where you are at risk of being screamed at, a workplace where you're at risk of being screamed at, a classroom where you are at risk of being screamed at if you ask for a repeat of the instructions, a workplace where you're at risk of being screamed at if you ask for a repeat of the instructions

- that is, that the lives we lead trigger emotional lability through inappropriate human interaction.

At its core this is caused by the relationship between the monkey mind (the mind before wisdom) and its affinity for setting hierarchy,
You will shut up and do what you're told.
You will listen to your superiors.

We always find that the mind which sees no hierarchy is better than the mind which enforces hierarchy, meaning that the individual being told what to do - will have the capacity to explain to the individual who is bossing them about why they're talking rubbish
- which is greeted by negative repercussions in the 'victim'.

We've a world in trouble through worship of power.

The phrase 'Let sleeping DoGs lie' is a simple description of what I'm describing.

-*-

Now - it's well known (no refs required) that ADDers suffer in the classroom (schools adore stimulants for hyperactive ADDers) and also that ADDers are well known for rapidly cycling through jobs.

The basic problem - is that we're attempting to find a style of education/work where we can place our mind in the zone it enjoys.

-*-

Now - what happens when we lose the zone ?
Stress.

Noted that the more severe the stress the more vicious the jolt out of our favoured space.
And that this is often related to reactive reaching for comfort food (50:50 fat / sugar combinations because of their effects on the opioid system) ie killing pain.

-*-

Once again - the finger is pointed (in ADD) at human relations - where the root cause is the motivation underlying human relations.

Do you want power over people (more power than people) ?
Or to do something useful ?

These are 2 incompatible goals - and ADDers cannot operate in an environment of individuals who place their own selfish needs as paramount.
Because they won't make sense.

And we require sense to comply - which is our both disadvantage and advantage - rolled into one, social environmental context dependent.

SB_UK
05-25-14, 03:30 AM
ps I think the all important connection to be made here is that under chronic physiological distress 'homeostasis' becomes harder to attain, as the entire physiological system loses its resilience.

The same basic problem occurs under chronic psychological distress.

Emotional lability occurs for the exact same reason that physiologicla parameter lability occurs to chronic physical stress ie elasticity is lost and the system fails to rebound to its optimal position.

This optimal position is well known in physiology (blood glucose conc, ions, salt etc) but in psychology - I think it may represent failure to restore alpha/theta EEG interface ie approx 8 Hz EEG.

-*-

So to make this idea simpler - that homestasis at the level of body and at the level of mind may be considered as a spring, chronic distress results in loss of elasticity of the spring - and if the stress becomes too extreme then the elastic limit is exceeded - and shortly thereafter disease is inevitable

- since failure to maintain physiological/psychological homeostasis results in pathopsychology/physiology.

PTSD is an example of the spring of mind being distressed into its elastic limit being exceeded - and irreversible damage being done; similarly persistent high blood glucose levels and T2D (irreversible) of the spring of physiology being distressed into its elastic limit being exceeded.

-*-

Point - that emotional lability is very similar to the lability we see in physiological systems under chronic stress; the physiological and psychological systems appear to be best suited (ie eustressful) to acute stressors which the individual has control over

- and not to chronic stressors which the individual has no control over.

-*-

Solution - well all of the various solutions offered over an elimination of hierarchy and proper food access (life in Mount Athos) alongside adequate exercise, sun exposure etc (comments made previously) hold - as physiologically/psychologically both protective and strengthening of the springs which represent these 2 bodily systems.
Lability at the level of mind / body results from DIstressors at the level of mind body -
where all that the mind wants to be is a moral engine (we can work out what is distressful from what is immoral) and all that the body wants to be is an efficient aerobic engine (we can work out what is distressful from the consequence on deviation of physiological parameters away from optimal form ie consuming too much salt deviates ionic concentrations away from optimal bounds - easily, easily experimentally verified at least at the level of the physical body).

Persistent deviations from morality and the physiological parameters supporting optimal aerobic respiration resulting in lability = reduced resilience to stressor, which cumulatively weakens the springs until they snap - and you're irreversibly sick.

SB_UK
05-25-14, 06:05 AM
a thread for research only

Back on track !

Once again - the finger is pointed (in ADD) at human relations - where the root cause is the motivation underlying human relations.

7th May 2014 (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CD8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjournal.frontiersin.org%2FJournal %2F10.3389%2Ffnhum.2014.00198%2Fpdf&ei=bb6BU5-IFIfuObDngegL&usg=AFQjCNEe40TyUZ_iz1RZITTnt0qklz6EtQ&sig2=kOm_Y0qicsByYsY_f6aGjg&bvm=bv.67720277,d.ZWU&cad=rja)

INTRODUCTION
Children with attention deficit and hyper-
activity disorder (ADHD) suffer from a
variety of emotional and social difficul-
ties including high levels of depression,
anxiety,poor regulation,other executive
malfunctions, and lack of satisfying social
experiences(Birdetal.,1993;Greene
et al.,2001;Gillbergetal.,2004;Barkley,
2006; Klimkeitetal.,2006;Daviss,2008;
Elia etal.,2008;McQuadeandHoza,
2008; Anastopoulosetal.,2011;Larson
et al.,2011).So suggestion :
lack of satisfying social experiences
-> leads to ->
high levels of stress -> anxiety -> depression
high levels of stress -> poor [emotional] regulation = emotional labilityhigh levels of stress -> other executive malfunctions

-*-

Using very simple words we can understand this most recent of publications on ADHD.

[POINT 1] People are motivated by either taking (BAD) or giving (GOOD).
[POINT 2] taking (BAD) = Do you want power over people (more power than people) ?
giving (GOOD) = Or to do something useful ?[POINT 3] ADDers are predisposed to giving (GOOD) and not taking (BAD) motivation.
[POINT 4] ADDers break in our current society where only taking (BAD) motivation is supported.
[POINT 5]
lack of satisfying social experiences
-> leads to ->
high levels of stress -> anxiety -> depression
high levels of stress -> poor [emotional] regulation = emotional lability
high levels of stress -> other executive malfunctions

Children with attention deficit and hyper-
activity disorder (ADHD) suffer from ...
high levels of depression,
high levels of anxiety,
poor [emotional] regulation,
other executive malfunctions,
lack of satisfying social experiences.
-*-

Our current global societal infrastructure / money (global economics system) / ownership (legal system) profit only the psychopath.
ADDers can't operate in this context of hatred.

So - are ADDers weak because we can't operate under a model of zero reward from psychopathic behaviour ?
Well - the psychopath 'd certainly think so.

-*-

Summarising, then - ADHD is caused by anti-social human interaction - without anti-social human interaction there is no expression of disorder in the attention deficit/surfeit individual. A 'love thy neighbour' model of human interaction (see voluntaryism) would eliminate the problems ADDers experience.

SB_UK
05-25-14, 08:55 AM
Visual perception of ADHD children with sensory processing disorder.
April 2014
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24843365The result of the present study suggests that among children with ADHD, the visual perception is lower in those children with co-morbid SPD.Sounds good.

SPD is just over-stimulation.
Don't want any stimulation.
Preferred mind state = alpha/theta - daydream.
Effect of stimulation = moves us out of our zone.

I don't see anything when I'm in my zone.

So - this is true:
The result of the present study suggests that among children with ADHD, the visual perception is lower in those children with co-morbid SPD.
But it really is giving us the wrong impression.

SPD isn't a disorder
ADHD isn't a disorder.

Just happy meditative/daydream minds being relentlessly awoken by life in stupid world.

This is a very good description of what life in the current world does to people with sufficiently stimulated without any need for further stimulation minds:
Keeping someone awake for hours or even days at a time is a highly effective way to ‘break the will’ of a prisoner, causing a whole range of undesirable ill effects from cognitive impairment, psychosis, breaking down the immune system and even causing heart defects and cardiovascular disease.
Let sleeping dogs lie.

SB_UK
05-25-14, 09:17 AM
May 2014
Genetic and Pharmacological Modulation of the Steroid Sulfatase Axis Improves Response Control; Comparison to Drugs Used in ADHD.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24842408

... pharmacological manipulation of the steroid sulfatase axis, via administration of the enzyme substrate DHEAS
Unexpectedly, both the genetic and pharmacological treatments resulted in enhanced response control... ... the effect size was comparable to that seen with the commonly used ADHD therapeutics methylphenidate and atomoxetine.
Cortisol & DHEA: (http://metabolichealing.com/cortisol-dhea-the-major-hormone-balance/) The Major Hormone Balance (http://metabolichealing.com/cortisol-dhea-the-major-hormone-balance/)

-*-

Just the knock on effects of stress (cortisol); constant chronic stress (cortisol) upsets optimal homeostatic point between cortisol and DHEA.

I am stressed when I leave my favoured (alpha/theta EEG maybe lower theta/delta) frame of mind.

Being forced to live out of that zone therefore equating to society applying (to the ADDer's optimal state of mind) constant chronic stress.

Let sleeping (or sleepwalking) dogs (in the sun) lie.

daveddd
05-25-14, 10:01 PM
I'm waiting for daydreaming to chip in here

SB_UK
05-26-14, 04:17 AM
Currently on day 3 of a fast.
Finding that low EEG space EVEN easier to acquire.
So - the connection is made between low food intake / calorie restriction and a form of firing (low energy, low EEG) which favours survival.
More so between fasting and the so called 'spiritual' state noting low EEGs appear to associate with meditative states ie delta, theta, alpha.

Merits research as there's a wonderful connection between our over-fed species currently (global obesity epidemic) and lack of spiritual behaviour.
Also long held connection between fasting and religion.

Also highly documented connection between longevity and fasting/starvation eg (most recently referenced on site):
Starvation metabolite α-ketoglutarate extends lifespan by inhibiting ATP synthase and TOR.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24828042

SB_UK
05-26-14, 04:22 AM
Merits research as there's a wonderful connection between our over-fed species currently (global obesity epidemic) and lack of spiritual behaviour.
Also long held connection between fasting and religion.Did not believe I'd find this ... ...

Impact of fasting on EEG
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12753346There was an increase in the daily mean of waking EEG absolute power in the theta (5.5-8.5 Hz) frequency band.-*-

So yes to all of the above - particularly with respect to ADDers being built for starvation - low energy requiring brain - brain as major sump on blood glucose usage - major threat to survival - both reduced energy usage brain which can be supplied by ketone bodies - glucose spared for 2 tissues (rbc/liver) which can't be supplied by ketone bodies.

-*-

Also very important:
We reported previously that Ramadan provokes a shortening in nocturnal total sleep time by 40 minAs I've noticed excess sleepiness recently which is corrected by fasting.

Also associated with changes in diurnal temperature. very cold when fasting making it painful in Winter
- but relatively easy when we don't need to worry about maintaining body temp ie in Summer.

You can see why the religions came out of warm places - and why cold places are associated with nasty drug seeking (over-eating) behaviour.

Not as if anybody ever retires to the UK - always to the sun.

Let sleeping (or sleepwalking) [NOT EATING] dogs (in the sun) lie.

SB_UK
05-26-14, 04:41 AM
Very simply - ADHD (or rather an attentional difference - preference for a lower EEG type mind where creativity is thought to blossom) borne through energetic concerns (to reduce our reliance on food and thereby to ensure survival) has been responsible for our evolutionary selection/emergence.

This basic idea has been around for >50 years (Thrifty gene Hypothesis) but hasn't yet been associated to ADHD - for the most part because of mankind's desire to separate 'things' into boxes ie decompositional instead of synthetic modes of scientific scrutiny.

The mind wants to be 1 synthetic construct and cannot work if built on decomposed disconnected ideas - when we build the single system of mind (wisdom)
- we see that ADHD is simply an evolutionary construct selected for enhanced survival in an environment of limiting food.

Sadly - emergence occurred in an environment of plentiful food / immorality / anti-social social interactions - making the ADDers lot not a happy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jtUuNUEEaU

Who watches the watchmen ?

Morality is the true policeman.