View Full Version : Resonse to Lrkemp

Dizfriz
05-25-14, 11:09 AM
I am new to this forum. What I have read has been extremely helpful. I am especially happy to see someone pinpointing the dis-inhibited behavioral issues seen in some children with ADHD. My 6 yr. old grandson displays these symptoms. He was diagnosed with ADHD at 4 and has displayed aggression and inappropriate outburst since the age of 2. I'm curious how common these symptoms are seen in ADHD children. He is currently diagnosed further with ODD and mild OCD, but they all relate to the dis-inhibition in his behavior. It seems so odd that his impulsiveness is beyond even the "norm" for ADHD behavior. Even on medication he continues the unusual behavior for someone his young age. And to exacerbate things more, the medication makes him irritable and whiny. Can this be changed with therapy, behavior modification? What, if anything, can be done about this? It seems the education system and the area we live offer very little advise for all of this. He is only six and just graduating kinder and already I'm wondering what we can possibly do to fix or modify or change the direction this boy is heading. Any suggestions?

One of the best things you can do is to learn as much about the disorder as you can.

Here is a good place to start. These essays are to get you started with some basic information on ADHD. From there you can go as deep as you wish but for most, the information here as well as the highly suggested Barkley videos are enough for most parents.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

Good luck and welcome aboard. There is a lot of help and support on the forum.

Dizfriz