View Full Version : Should I change my major!?

greentrees
05-26-14, 03:41 PM
So I'm in school for Computer Information Systems and I'm having a hard time with it. Specifically I'm mostly right brained/intuitive and the pure logic is not fitting in very well. I'm having a hard time studying in this database class and only after lots of coffee do I get it.

But I'm also slightly autistic so I don't know what I can do as I'm not very socially adept either. :rolleyes:

Anyone else in a similar situation? I'm only 3 classes away from graduating so I'm finishing this major and then probably working in something completely different.

I've thought about graphic design/arts. I'm also interested in the liberal arts. I'm going to a creative arts studio soon at this local healing arts program to explore.

I've also booked an appointment with my counselor to talk about this.

love,
greentrees

namazu
05-26-14, 04:12 PM
I think your plan to finish out the current program is a good one, if you're within 3 courses of a degree. For better or for worse, a degree (in any field) is a prerequisite for many jobs, and having that completed gets you past that hurdle.

But I also agree that you shouldn't feel bound to computer science just because that's where your degree is.

Depending on what you want to do, you might want to go for additional informal or semi-formal training (like at the healing center), a graduate degree in a different field that emphasizes applications (for example, graphic design, bioinformatics, or library and information science), or a job in some field that might help you bridge the gap between your formal training in CIS and the more creative or applied work you find more interesting and suitable. (Or any entry-level job to pay the bills while you explore your options.)

Meanwhile, have you talked to the instructor or TA about the database class? I'm sure you're not the first person to struggle with the material. I'd suggest seeing if you could find some other students to study with, but if that makes you uncomfortable, or if your past experience suggests that studying with others doesn't work for you, then see about getting 1-on-1 help from the instructor, a TA, or a tutor. I don't know when your schoolyear ends, but it's probably not too late to get some help.

There may also be free tutorials on database-related topics available via one of the online course websites (e.g. Khan Academy, Coursera, etc.). These might be another option for getting an outside opinion/additional explanation of the topics in a format that might be better for you.

Great idea to talk to your counselor about future plans and options, and to look into local options that might suit your interests and abilities better.

Signed,
Someone with a college degree in one field now working in a very different area. :cool:

dvdnvwls
05-26-14, 04:30 PM
Don't let the new ideas distract you from graduating. Finishing this program before moving on will give you considerable advantages (a degree, increased confidence in your own ability, other things) and not "cost" you a lot (i.e. three classes is not much compared to what you've already done).

About the things you are interested in looking into: If it's possible, talk to some people who are really doing those things, or who are already studying them. It can give you a better idea of your options.