View Full Version : life with inattentive ADD,LD,dysthemia.

madmax988
05-27-14, 04:11 PM
Alright,so cutting a long story short,I shall do my best to keep this brief and to the point.

Previously had written like an essay and just before posting,my firefox crashed and so did my post:p:mad:
:Rant alert:

Im a 25 y/o guy diagnosed 2 years ago,with severe inattentive type ADD,dysthemia,sLD,some serious anxiety(comorbid) blessed with thyroid issues and certain deficiencies.Now the hypothyroid and deficiency part has been corrected with medications,including dysthemia to a large extent since SSRI's seem to really help me.

Now,my ADD is an issue.After changing from a non-stimulant to 20mg inspiral SR Im prescribed currently,I still face distractions to the point of madness.Its simply not possible to me to concentrate properly for more than 15 minutes(maxxed-out)and each subsequent 10-15 minutes chunk sees my consistency,concentration DRASTICALLY deteriorate.Thanks to this I dropped out of 2 colleges,don't work and generally pessimistic.Now its not that im a miserable fella,Im actually very ambitious and look forward to a better future,but its like this combination of reality and ambition are too far-fetched from each other.

I lost my mom to cancer almost 10 years ago and needless to say a big support system was lost.My issues escalated and i was really in a mess.I even planned suicide during the bad days but ditched it since i was too much of a wuss to actually get it done:DStill managed to complete senior high,atleast pass out.

I'd tried different fields from commerce to graphic-design to animation,but the LD and ADD seems to make this progression extremely hard.:(The place where i'm from,(india)stuff like ADHD is almost unheard of and "accommodation" is a laughing matter altogether.Theres NO SUCH thing as accommodation here.Yeah it sucks big time,but anyway..

Coming to the real point.HOW shall I gather enough motivation to keep soldiering on,specially since my depression can go haywire and generally spirals out of control(i've discussed about this to my p-doc,he says it'll improve)and the lesser said about the inattention,the better.Stimulants do help with consistency somewhat,but just to an extent.My doc refuses to increase my dosage for reasons best known to him.He's waiting for me to start working,something I hate frankly speaking(i dont have an option nevertheless)but my violent mood swings turns me into a demon.I can throw the worst fits of temper when stress builds up,(i even assaulted my dad once after an argument)and job stress(stress of any kind) is something i despise.

Guess thats about it.
Any thoughts/suggestions/advice/positive criticism greatly appreciated.

Nicksgonefishin
05-27-14, 04:32 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Uberend
05-27-14, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the l4yr cake

MarkAfterDark
05-27-14, 07:19 PM
Hi MadMax,

Limbic and inattentive ADD are very similar, only I get the added bonus of negative thoughts and mild depression.

I recall one point in my life where things were going well for me was when I was at the gym frequently and running. I have too much going on right now, but I'm supposed to take a long brisk walk 5 times a week.

Exercise increases blood flow and serotonin levels and should help. Do you drink green tea? This is supposed to help focus and energy.

madmax988
05-29-14, 10:59 AM
Hi MadMax,

Limbic and inattentive ADD are very similar, only I get the added bonus of negative thoughts and mild depression.

I recall one point in my life where things were going well for me was when I was at the gym frequently and running. I have too much going on right now, but I'm supposed to take a long brisk walk 5 times a week.

Exercise increases blood flow and serotonin levels and should help. Do you drink green tea? This is supposed to help focus and energy.

Well,i don't take green/hibiscus tea.We have a unique way of adding a certain proportion of milk with black tea & sugar; which has a pleasant aftertaste.It even acts like a natural stimulant:D

otherwise,not into green tea/hibiscus tea and all that.

exercise surely helps but the consistency is an issue.im regular for only a short while.that's the irony.used to be called "regularly irregular" in my school days.Im trying to seriously work on that.Another irritating aspect is the sheer amount of time taken to complete any work,the classic ADD symptom.I shall take 15 minutes to get work done worth only 5 mins.Then there's chronic forgetfulness.This isn't something people take very kindly though.The thing with working memory is;its more like a powerful CPU lagging behind because of 512MB Ram,if you know what I mean!

Negative thinking aspect was something easier to get rid of.I realized that,after therapy,certain things wont really work the way I'd like them to,especially after realizing my struggles.But I sincerely hope future would treat me more kindly.

flubio123
08-11-14, 12:12 AM
]
Im a 25 y/o guy diagnosed 2 years ago,with severe inattentive type ADD,dysthemia,sLD,some serious anxiety(comorbid) blessed with thyroid issues and certain deficiencies.Now the hypothyroid and deficiency part has been corrected with medications,including dysthemia to a large extent since SSRI's seem to really help me.

What are your TSH/T4/T3 levels at?
What thyroid medications are using?

My thyroid issues weren't resolved until my TSH hovered around 0.5-1.5.
I take 175mcg Synthroid (T4 level was too high though TSH was perfect) but when I changed to 125mcg Synthroid and 12.5mcg Cytomel my T4, T3 and TSH levels normalized to within population norms. I felt better then I ever have. Unfortunately, Cytomel can be pricey. If you try Cytomel make sure to get a dose like mine (25mcg split in half - that way your pills last twice as long).

petester
08-11-14, 09:23 PM
I have inattentive issues so bad that I have to focus 110% on anything no matter how menial the task like walking from point A to point B in a small room ever since it got really bad (about 20 yrs ago) I pretty much have to ignore everybody around me or ill literally be walking in circles trying to figure what im doing needless to say everybody hates me thinking im ignoring them personally on purpose ,I refuse to take meds because its against my personal beliefs but I try to ride at least 20mi a day and lift weights in the evening and that helps alot its like the physical exertion forces those chemicals that make my brain misfire through for about 6 hours till the adrenaline wears off its working pretty good for me.

madmax988
11-01-14, 09:47 AM
well,i don't exactly remember the thyroid figures,my doc just went through the report papers and said its alright. so didn't bother much about it.currently though i dont take any medication for it,wil ask doc about the routine checkup again in my next sitting.Used to take Thyronorm,not sure if cytomel is available in this part of the region.for some unknown reason doc seems to be overconfident about my progress and says im almost fully okay.lol,ok my a**:faint:My depression has surely diminished,but i continue to have serious concentration and ''zoning out'' issues.i simply get tired and fatigued after any consistent work pattern,be it something i like or not.right now the SSRI I take is 200mg and stimulant for ADD is 20mg daily.alongwith B12 supplements.

madmax988
11-01-14, 09:56 AM
I have inattentive issues so bad that I have to focus 110% on anything no matter how menial the task like walking from point A to point B in a small room ever since it got really bad (about 20 yrs ago)

used to have the same plight,though i've improved fairly well in that aspect.hang in there things will get better