View Full Version : Got prescribed Straterra

FreePrometheus
05-28-14, 01:41 PM
I am a 29 years old male. I got prescribed Straterra, I am currently taking it. But I am quite angry at the doctor for prescribing it.

She said that I have anxiety and that stimulants are a bad choice with anxiety.

My thought: Whatever anxiety I have comes from having ADD. I am stressed about not being able to do some simple things that most people take for granted.

I did some research, Adderall or stimulants seems more effective.

My problems are severe. Anxiety bother me less than not being able to remember things, not being able to order my appartment, not being able to fill forms.

What do I do? I am ******, angry.

JhanaJay
05-28-14, 03:43 PM
In my personal experience, this is a common misconception of doctors. Indeed, my experience of anxiety is far less on something like instant release Adderall. I found Ritalin to actually cause paranoia. But ALMOST any stimulant is better than not.

Personally, I would call up and go right back in, with what you just said written down well, convincingly, firmly, and to the point on a piece of paper. Either hand it to them, memorize it, or read it to them. Do not let them push you around. I have helped many friends commit to not letting doctors do this to them. Once you're medicated on something like amphetamine, you will likely have the confidence and performance to much more easily doctor wrangle.

If the doctor still refuses, I would find a better one. I have only one primary care physician I trust, and waited 9 months to see him again, as I am considered a new patient as I didn't see him for many years, and he is I'm high demand.

vagrant
05-29-14, 02:14 AM
I've tried both stimulants and strattera.

When strattera works, it's actually pretty good. It can just be a hassle as it took me about 8-12 weeks to see the benefits.

sarahsweets
05-29-14, 04:39 AM
Stimulants are considered a first line treatment for adhd. Strattera would be more like a second choice for treatment. Have you asked the doctor why they are choosing something that isnt know for being the first choice in treating adhd?

FreePrometheus
05-29-14, 08:14 AM
Here is why she prescribed Straterra: She says stimulant might cause anxiety.

Here is why I think she is wrong: I was diagnosed as an adult. Many adults with ADD have anxiety and depression, because of their own difficulties in life. i.e. it might be caused by the ADD.

Most of my stress in life comes from the following things: Forgetting to pay bills, not being able to remember instructions, etc.

I think if these problems would disappear, I'd actually feel quite competent.

And it worries me that she is prescribing something weaker (on average than stimulants)

I came to see her with a specific problem: ADD. I didn't ask to be treated for anxiety.

So, right now, I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to be prescribed a stimulant.

I am not too sure what steps to take.

I live in canada. Getting appointments with a psychiatrist was hard. I can't see her again for another month. I will continue taking straterra, since getting off it does not cause problems, from what I read.

Getting an appointment with a GP is easier.

I have a prescription for straterra right now. What do I tell the GP? How to I convince him that I have ADD. I'm actually worried about that. While, I have all the symptoms, people always tell me that I'm successful at life. This is wrong. My appartment is a mess, I can't pay bills on time, I'm in debt, etc. I have difficulties working on a computer... (I don't have one at home)

FreePrometheus
05-29-14, 10:07 AM
Ok, I found this article about the topic:

http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=site&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpsychcentral.com%2Flib%2Fwhen-adhd-and-anxiety-occur-together%2F0009860

FreePrometheus
05-29-14, 01:15 PM
So here are my thoughts:

I am going to see a psychologist and get a full diagnosis.

I will ask the psychologist not just to access ADD, but also anxiety and depression, since this is what is being disputed here. And perhaps co-morbid disorders.

I am not going to dismiss completly what the psychiatrist said. However, when I said I thought my anxiety comes from tasks I have trouble doing, she merely dismissed it, and failed to give an appropriate explanation. This, in my book, is unacceptable behavior.

Hopefully, I can then go with the full diagnosis and report and see a general practicioner, should the psychologist disagree about anxiety.

That said, I don't really feel anxious or worried. Of course, I worry over exams, paying bills and stuff like that, but mostly because I had trouble over that. I rarely worry for the rest, I think.

I think psychiatry would have a higher retention of medication taken if people were properly listened and proper explanations were given.

JhanaJay
05-30-14, 02:37 AM
If you can see your GP sooner than the psych, I would take the bottle of strattera into your GP as proof that you're being treated for ADD, but let him know that you don't have the luxury to wait a month to see your psych because --insert your reason--. Then, I would tell him why you want what you want. But be specific, and again, I strongly recommend writing a letter before hand to bring in.

I did this today with my doc. I am about to run out of an extremely useful Herb that I can't afford anymore. And knowing being off it would be difficult, I wrote him a longish letter explaining what's going on and what I need. It's good I did that, too, because I started crying as soon as he got in the door. So to save him even more time, I just handed it to him because I knew my reading it aloud would be very long because of my emotions.

He finished it. Thanked me for writing it as it saved him time, And gave me what I asked for.

Docs are just people. If you can bring them down to "people mode", with emotions or pre-written letter giving the background on your visit, they appear to respond very well. But you have to cover all the possible holes (Doc: So why don't you want to even give strattera a chance?) In this case, you might anticipate it and write in the letter "I've done a lot if research, and I feel strongly that "this" drug is for me, because...."

Just an example. But dude, it works like a charm, at least with my doc. And there's nothing wrong, as long as you tell them the truth in a way that backs up your request. I found being ADD at a doctor visit is difficult. We tend to back down or just let ourselves get steam rolled. So that's why I write letters when it comes to high priority doctor visits. Normal visits, I listen but make a firm decision. If they try to do something that won't work, I tell them I'm sorry, it won't work. They don't want you displeased with them, because that means a possible loss of patient.

And you don't always have to tell the doctor what you want and refuse to take something else, unless you feel strongly that it will work for you. I've been in at least 100 doctor visits in my life, and there truly is an art form to both doc and patient getting what they need.

Anyway. Tried and true for me. Psychiatrists have always done me more harm than good (in my own experience. I've had about 12). If they're not willing to be two people in a room, instead of doctor and patient, then you may consider a new course of action. But I find most doctors can help you if the visit is handled well.

I'm getting tired and may have said something that others don't agree with. And that's cool, because I don't expect this to be as clear as I meant it to be.

Goodluck!

FreePrometheus
05-30-14, 12:22 PM
So, I am going to talk with my sister in law.

She is a doctor, and she is going to listen to me. Obviously, I won't ask her to prescribe me something, since she is biased. But she might be willing to do some research and inform me on the protocol to improve my conditions.

Right now, I'm still taking Straterra.

I plan to use it with the correct posology for as long as I don't have a new plan, that is validated by a professional perspective.

(Ok, just received the E-mail from the psychologist, a test cost 1500 $)...

Worthless... I'm a poor student.

FreePrometheus
05-30-14, 05:15 PM
First, a big thank, Jhana Jay, yes, I won't let her push me around. I think I will write a letter.

And go to a doctor. I have difficulties with these things. (The ADD, heh!) My mom can help with the logistics... Yup, even finding treatment is harder with this...

JhanaJay
05-31-14, 12:30 PM
Yeah, it's a ***** at first! The symptoms make it difficult for us to treat the symptoms. LOL.

My Mother actually suggested writing letters, as she does, too. So we're in the same boat.

Ideally, you get something good, which in my personal experience and those of others, is very often Adderall Instant Release. And then you'll have confidence, impulse control, and willingness. So the next time you need to go in, you can get what you need, like I just did.

:)

JhanaJay
05-31-14, 12:34 PM
Oh, and if they don't give you a high enough dose, what I do is first test the dose they gave me. If it doesn't work. I increase it by 50-100 percent, depending on my observations. I continue this until I'm certain I've got a good fit. Then, to ensure I don't run out of meds because I took more than they gave me, I go right back into the doctor and tell him "Hey, that does doesn't work for me. But THIS dose works great". And I ask for a new prescription with the new dose and quantity. Because it's considered a new prescription once the dose is changed, you can immediately go fill that script, even if you've only had the old one filled for one week. But if you're taking like over 30mg of Adderall in one dose, you may expect some pushback, and rightfully so.

FreePrometheus
05-31-14, 01:30 PM
Ok, spoke with my sister in law.

She is a doctor. She knows the medications well. I told her about my problems. She knows me well enough to know I have the disorder.

I talked to her about the anxiety issue, she agreed with me too. That I should take a stimulant.

She said I should write a letter to the psychiatrist, and saying straterra cost too much. (Which is true) and is not covered by health insurance, (true again). And I should ask for medication switch.

Else, she can write me a letter of referal to see another psychiatrist, if necessary.

She also said to continue taking straterra, in case it works.

FreePrometheus
06-03-14, 11:52 AM
Ok,

I spoke with the pharmacist. He will write to the doctor. He agrees with me too. And ask for a switch of medication...

In canada Straterra cost around 1750 $ a year. Out of my student budget. By a lot.

someothertime
06-03-14, 01:59 PM
Cost's were a big detractor for Strattera for me too. Regarding the OP, it is a valid call regarding the anxiety...

There is nothing "wrong" with Strattera vs Stimulant... actually... Strattera has a few characteristics that make it more "fluid" in terms of when it's working and you functioning in a balanced way.

Worth a try... and there may be some pharma "scheme" that makes it cheaper... at least that's what i read on here sometimes...

JhanaJay
06-04-14, 07:05 PM
Good job taking the steps to get this taken care of (calculating costs, talking to pharmacists and others who can help.)

Any update? How are you feeling?

FreePrometheus
06-09-14, 10:22 PM
Hi:

Here are the latest news.

I'm reading a bunch of scientific articles on medications, talking with my sister in law (who is a doctor)

I have several parameters to look at: Costs, effictiveness and duration, side effects.

I'm going to meet a new doctor, a general practionner.

The psychiatrist neither did a change of medication, as asked. 40 $ a week to spend is enormous for a student... Yet, my life is horrible.

HADDaball
07-15-14, 05:43 AM
It is odd they didn't try stimulants first, unless you objected.

The anxiety thing can go either way.

I'd suggest dexedrine. It felt calming.

JhanaJay
07-19-14, 04:56 PM
I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but I have bad experience with psychiatrists. There job is SUPPOSED to be a counsellor/therapist who also prescribes medication. That has not been my experience. However...

I just went to my first psychiatrist in years--but she's actually an ARNP. I did not have high hopes, but dude--she is AMAZING! She's like 30 years old, from Seattle (and therefor very progressive and open-minded.) After asking me if I used cigarettes, she even asked me to vape (use my plume-spewing sub-ohm e-cigarette) while we were in the 1.5 hour long session if it would make me comfortable.

Then she said "Okay, so what do you want to change? It's clear you know better than anyone else what works for you, and that I can trust your decisions." Honestly, I think I could have asked for anything, and gotten it if my insurance was cool with it. But I'm pretty happy with adderall and my special herb (not MJ) which she knows about.

I went after dexedrine, but it looks like we're gonna have to jump through some hoops with insurance, first. She also stated she would do whatever she had to in order to get me on SSD (which my attorney and I applied for last week.) I've applied 3 times for SSD now, but never followed it through because I didn't have enough support. Now I have an army of advisors, attorneys, doctors, family and friends.

I also went after Namenda, the alzheimers drug. She was shocked that I was "on the cutting edge" when it comes to ADHD medicating. However, again, my insurance will have to be wrangled first. She explained that in the meantime she had strattera samples, and I could ADD straterra, as it works somewhat similar to namenda. And she's accurate--so she gave me a bunch of samples. After ensuring I knew my stuff about strattera-type medications, general dosing guidelines, and medicating, she told me "dose how you think works best." Her trust is not misplaced, and MAN does it feel good to FINALLY have a doctor that acknowledges, despite my not being a doctor, I have a pretty damn good idea what I'm doing.

We also did a DNA swabbing, and are going to find out once and for all which medications are possibly well-matched to me--and I will not be surprised if opioids are on that list. However, I have my doubts about the accuracy of these tests with those with ADHD. But check this out; I did ALL of this on Medicaid. To get on medicaid, all I did was spend 20 minutes online filling out a form. it immediately said I was approved. 3 days later I got a card, and a few days later I was in to see a doctor. Now I have an army of dedicated medical professionals, and completely free healthcare. If you're a student which makes only a small amount of money, i encourage you to get on medicaid.

I wish I could have you all go to her--she is so amazing. I can't believe how fortunate I am. Keep looking! Try to find an ARNP who specializes in counseling and medications. This is actually the same thing my fiance is going to school for. There appears to be a swelling of ARNP's who are holistic minded, and offer pharmaceuticals, counseling, diet and lifestyle support, as well as open-mindedness to natural treatments.

I just want to be optimistic for you. Don't let them push you around. Search out the good ones. They're there!

So, did you find your memory improved on strattera? Did your "thought bubbles" stick around easier, listening to people long enough for them to finish speaking at length before you could still respond?

gbshuler
07-22-15, 09:02 PM
I tried Strattera for 6 months. It took months and months to get titration up to full effect. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. Much frustration because I wanted to try something else but was tied to Strattera like a boat anchor. I do hope it works for you. There are some strange side effects.

You mentioned Adderall. It is fun stuff. It didn't help me with ADD, but it did allow me to stay up until 2:00AM every night, then with 3 potent sleeping pills (catapres) I slept for 5 hours and got up at 7:00AM. Amazing! Five hours of sleep a night and no problems. No wonder college students love it.