View Full Version : Dealing With Weight Gain After Stopping Meds

Misfit
05-29-14, 08:26 AM
I didn't put this in the Medication forums as it doesn't apply to just one medication. I have been on Anti-depressants since I was 17 (I'm 36 now) and at different times on different ADHD medications. About 6 years who I started Concerta and saw some improvement in my symptoms and also started to loose some weight. I also went off the anti-depressants (which make me hungrier and gain weight, but had to go back on them)Then about a year later I went on Adderall and saw more improvement in my symptoms and also was able to loose a lot of weight. Slowly, like all stimulants it started to loose it's effects. I went off it in January 2013 and went onto Concerta again and then to Vyvanse. Since then I have gained about 35lbs. I went off Vyvamse about a month ago and have gained about 10lbs. I just didn't find it was doing much anymore and even with my health insurance It was expensive.

I'm so frustrated. I try to eat right. But I get so hungry. I hypoglycemic which makes dieting so hard. That's why I lost so much weight on Adderall-I didn't have the drops in my blood sugar makings feel starving and weak within a few hours of eating. I try to eat every few hours and do things to keep my blood sugar from plummeting....but I just seem to feel hungry all the time.

I don't know what to do. I find that my ADHD symptoms are worse-but not bad enough to be on stimulants. The reality is I want to have a baby and I don't want to be on stimulants when I'm pregnant. But now my BMI is considered obese and I'm over 35 so I am going to cause risks. Now I have so much weight to loose but I just keep gaining. I'm trying to follow weight watchers but I just so hungry!

So, I guess that's more of a rant/pity party. But I'm also wondering if anyone has had any success with natural ADHD supplements and/or natural weight loss supplements?

Thanks for listening :-)
Misfit

frenkel-fitness
05-29-14, 10:32 AM
Hello Misfit,

Im a personal trainer who suffers from ADHD. I understand your frustration with dieting and medication switching. I would recommend doing more physical activities like group kickboxing or dance. If you have a friend or know someone who wants to start with you, then its even better. Exercise helps increase your attention neurotransmitters. A good diet is very important. I would consult with a nutritionist who can help write you out a meal plan. They might be expensive, but they will keep you honest. If you want to do it yourself, then do one meal at a time. For example do a healthy breakfast and see if you can retain for a month. You will need to document it, for accountability. As far as supplements Ive heard good things about onnit.com. There is this all natural medication called new mood which is filled with good things like 5HTP that helps with low serotonin levels. Hope this helps. Im actually in the process of doing a fitness program designed specifically for ADHD sufferers here on the east coast. Im hoping to post more on here about it.

sarahsweets
05-30-14, 04:47 AM
I agree with frenkelfitness about the physical activity but not so much about the supplements. I went to the website he mentioned and it was a giant commercial for a company selling supplements with no science to back them up. Now that thats out of the way, here are my thoughts: When you say adderall began to not work as well what did you mean? Did you mean that it wasnt controlling any symptoms or that you couldnt feel it work? One thing that can curb your appetite would be protein shakes. They are yummy, good nutrition and a good way to have limited calories. I wonder though if the issue with your meds not working was thoroughly explored.
Exercise is HUGE. It may sound cliche or not be what you want to here but you just have to get moving. Start low and slow. A good app is couch to 5k. It starts you out with walking and brief periods of running and builds on that. I love my gym. I cant stand when I miss a work out. I also have a personal trainer which has proved invaluable to me.
You have to make your calories count but I would seriously reconsider the med situation.

cearaliz
05-30-14, 07:48 AM
Hi, Misfit,
I too, am hypoglycemic. I also gained weight when I stopped taking Adderall a couple of years ago. (Back on it as of yesterday, I am a whole person again!) I agree with previous posters that exercise will help. I definitely would watch your intake of processed carbs. Instead, look for whole food to snack on when you're hungry. One of my favorites is a hard boiled egg or peppers with hummus. Lean protein and/or roughage will stick with you much longer than a frozen entree or other processed crap. Continue with WW...track everything that goes in your mouth. The weight will come off, albeit very slowly. I still am not back to the weight I was before stopping my medication, but at least I stopped gaining. I also don't have those hypoglycemic mood swings, presumably because I've really cut down on refined carbs and sugar. I would recommend getting back on your medication asap...for me, being without it caused more problems than it was worth.

Misfit
06-03-14, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have been eating better the past couple of days. Hopefully it will help.

Misfit
06-04-14, 01:31 PM
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to reply again because I have been doing a little better the past two days. I know it's only been two days, but I feel like I am back on track.

I have upped my supplements (greens and berries extracts and a multivitamin) and started taking Melatonin at night. I have also been using PGX fibre (makes you feel more full). I have been eating better as well-I have increased veggies and fruits, had healthy snacks on hand and have limited sugar. I woke up early this morning so I did 15 minutes on my stationary bike and though I am tired because I didn't sleep well last night, my mood is much better. I am hoping by eating better, exercising and cutting down on sugar I will also help my ADHD symptoms.

So, anyway, I just wanted to update you. Thanks again for your support.
Misfit :grouphug:

HADDaball
06-18-14, 04:54 AM
Do you eat much fish?

Apart from sugar, another thing that makes people hungry and gain weight is certain oils.

Do you eat much margarine, sunflower or vegetable oil?