View Full Version : How and when did you find out you had ADD inattentive type?

ciliegia
05-29-14, 01:21 PM
and the second question is:
Is it possible that through all of the teachers that I've had in my life none of them told me "maybe you have ADD" ?
I'm still not sure if I have it and I want to go to the doctor and finally ask to do the test, I'm tired of thinking "do I have it ? No I don't, or maybe I do ..."
I'm afraid of going because I'm afraid I'll cry my eyes out. Nobody understands me I wish i was never born

ciliegia
05-29-14, 01:53 PM
i'm 22 and doing an evening school of informatic, still have the same problem as usual: people understand things I always don't even if I try hard.
I notice there was something wrong with me in kindergarten, and then I know my life was gonna be hard, and it has been.
in some subjects if i get the teacher to expalin me things over and over, I can reach decent grades, but some other times the teacher explain me things over and over and i don't understand
ANSWER TO THESE QUESTIONS:
1) How and when did you find out you had ADD inattentive type?
2) Is it possible that through all of the teachers that I've had in my life none of them told me "maybe you have ADD" ?
3) do you think I might have it?

Lunacie
05-29-14, 03:53 PM
I was 58 when I took the Connor's evaluation and learned I have the combined type of ADHD,
more Inattentive than Hyperactive by this life stage.

My granddaughter had ADHD and I had a hard time convincing her mother to get her evaluated
until she had a really hard time in 5th grade and nearly failed.

Teachers should be better educated on ADHD by this time, but many still believe that only hyperactive boys exhibit ADHD.
Girls in general go unnoticed and especially girls with the inattentive type.

I self-diagnosed before doing the evaluation. If you think it's possible that you have ADHD,
see the doctor, do the evaluation, keep an open mind. It may be ADHD, it may be something else.

Better to know what's going on and get some help, right?

dvdnvwls
05-29-14, 04:45 PM
If you don't go, then you will never know.

I went un-diagnosed until my mid 40s. I had many many teachers, and several different therapists, and no one ever mentioned ADHD. I did have one friend who tried to give me a hint about it, but I didn't understand the hint and wasted another 15 years because of that.

Just go to the doctor, and save all the questions and trouble. If you cry your eyes out... it will be normal for the doctor. They have that all the time.

ciliegia
05-29-14, 05:48 PM
Is it true that the inattentive type reads slow? Because I can read fast, I make mistakes reading they tell me, but I read fast, always had

Lunacie
05-29-14, 06:57 PM
Is it true that the inattentive type reads slow? Because I can read fast, I make mistakes reading they tell me, but I read fast, always had

I've never seen that listed as a symptom of any of the ADHD types.
What is common is having to reread something several times because we realize we've spaced out
and didn't actually process anything we just read.

stevemeetswest
05-29-14, 07:06 PM
I was 40 when I was diagnosed and I wish I had learned earlier. There has been much damage done in my past that had I been aware of my challenges there could have been a far more positive outcome of past events. No one suggested to me I had ADHD innatentive until another ADHD friend noticed the parallels.

As mentioned it is better to know as early as you are able - so that if you are diagnosed with ADHD you can make adjustments and adapt now to optimize your quality of living.

jman05
05-29-14, 08:44 PM
I was diagnosed as a child. Then I got fired from my first job out of college and my review basically listed every single symptom of add. That's how I knew.

psychopathetic
05-29-14, 08:58 PM
I just got diagnosed in January.
I found out because I was google searching random things trying to find answers to why I was struggling so badly keeping up with my college classes. I somehow came across a description of ADD, and have been researching it ever since.

I've been in and out of therapy since I was like 8 years old (31 years old now) I've been seeing my current therapist for dam near 10 years now...and none of my dam therapists ever caught it. :(...so yeah, if a therapist can miss it...teachers can sure as heck miss it.

Do I think you have add? Well...that impossible for me to answer :(. I just don't know!
I will say though that there must be some reason you found these forums. I think it's good you're looking for answers and reaching out...and even though it can be really scary going in to see a doctor or therapist...I really do recommend doing so and seeking out a proper diagnosis.
Having a proper diagnosis from a professional (psychiatrist in my case), has not only helped me hone in on medications that work for me (I've tried many meds in my undiagnosed days...and none of them worked!), but it's really just given me a huge sigh of relief! I FINALLY after all these freaking years have a name to go along with what's wrong with me! It's answered so many questions for me.
Having a diagnosis hasn't fixed anything in itself, but it sure has given me a clearer path to walk down!

ciliegia
05-30-14, 08:31 AM
since I was in kindergarten teacher explain me the same subject over and over and over, and I don't understand, this sounds more like I'm just not smart, don't you agree? Or you think it's add?

ciliegia
05-30-14, 10:50 AM
I talk sometimes with a psychologyst online and she told me that in her opinion I don't have ADD... comments?

ciliegia
05-30-14, 11:17 AM
I don't Procrastination; delaying or avoiding starting projects that require vigilant mental effort
I guess I do Difficulty sustaining concentration on conversations or briefly losing attention on someone speaking
I don't have trouble planning things or staing organized Hesitation to sustain concentration in planning and organizing for the completion of tasks
I guess I do Hesitative responses, doubt, and delayed execution due to inattention remembering information
I do many tasks but I finish them most of the time Difficulty finishing projects or completing assignments because many tasks simultaneously on the go
Sometimes Forgetting to complete tasks and details after temporary switches to more stimulating tasks
I don't understand this Difficulty finding misplaced tools after task switching due to bypassing adequate memory storage
I think I do this Sustained information processing is slower than others causing information gaps that inhibit execution
No problem with this Problems remembering appointments, obligations, or instructions
Yes Difficulty learning new projects when concentration deficits cause desire to multitask or daydream
I don't know this, usually not, the problem is that when the teacher explains most of the time I find out I wasn't listening or I dint understand Distracted from persevering during work; difficulty holding onto a job for a significant amount of time
don't understand this Change plans to the inconvenience of others due to forgetting or not fully aware of the bigger scenario
Sometimes I guess Maintaining excessive personal items such as storing old items of diminished usefulness
I don't know i guess so Obsessive behavior as compensation or coping mechanism for a perseverance deficit
Sometimes something comes in my mind and I feel like I HAVE to think about that and I cant follow when the person is telling me Difficulty transitioning to new task or activity due to obsessive behavior
I don't get distracted by external sounds, sometimes I notice the dog started to bark after a while he was doing that and I didn't even follow the thing I was supposed to do Higher rate of vigilant concentration fatigue after inhibiting many distractions from greater effort required

I keep it messy but tha'ts because I always find something more useful that tidy up ...Have trouble getting organized, for example losing homework assignments or keeping the bedroom messy and cluttered

YES Don't seem to listen when spoken to
YES Daydream
YES!that's totally me Are slow to understand information
Yes, I think Have trouble following instructions

A doctor's exam may also include tests to rule out conditions that can mimic inattentive ADHD, including:

Hearing or vision problems
Learning disability ==> what it THIS is the thing I have, or I'm just lazy or both?? That's what worries me
Anxiety or depression

Sometimes Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
I guess Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
I guess Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
No Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
No Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
No Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
No Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools)
No Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
No Is often forgetful in daily activities

All of these down are a No

Do you often make careless mistakes when you have to work on a boring and difficult project?
Do you often have difficulty keeping your attention when you are doing boring or repetitive work?
Do you often have difficulty concentrating on what people say to you, even when they are speaking to you directly?
Do you often have trouble wrapping up the final details of a project, once the challenging parts have been done?
Do you often have difficulty getting things in order when you have to do a task that requires organization?
When you have a task that requires a lot of thought, do you often avoid or delay getting started?
Do you often misplace or have difficulty finding things at home or at work?
Are you often distracted by activity or noise around you?
Do you often have problems remembering appointments or obligations?

I don't have ADD right? I'm just stupid and there's nothing I can do about it, right? I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my days with no solution to this

ciliegia
05-30-14, 11:19 AM
another question:
Do you have trouble lerning thigs by heart? It takes you more time than a normal person to learn it?

Diony
05-30-14, 12:53 PM
All me!

◾“zoning out” without realizing it, even in the middle of a conversation
◾ extreme distractibility; wandering attention makes it hard to stay on track
◾ difficulty paying attention or focusing, such as when reading or listening to others
◾ struggling to complete tasks, even ones that seem simple
◾ tendency to overlook details, leading to errors or incomplete work
◾ poor listening skills; hard time remembering conversations and following directions

◾ poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)
◾ tendency to procrastinate
◾ trouble starting and finishing projects
◾ frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines
◾ constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet, phone, documents, bills)
◾ underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks

◾frequently interrupt others or talk over them
◾have poor self-control
◾blurt out thoughts that are rude or inappropriate without thinking
◾have addictive tendencies
◾act recklessly or spontaneously without regard for consequences
◾have trouble behaving in socially appropriate ways (such as sitting still during a long meeting)

◾sense of underachievement
◾ doesn’t deal well with frustration
◾ easily flustered and stressed out
◾ irritability or mood swings

◾ trouble staying motivated
◾ hypersensitivity to criticism
◾ short, often explosive, temper
◾ low self-esteem and sense of insecurity

◾feelings of inner restlessness, agitation
◾ tendency to take risks
◾ getting bored easily
◾ racing thoughts

◾ trouble sitting still; constant fidgeting
◾ craving for excitement
◾ talking excessively◾ doing a million things at once

Lunacie
05-30-14, 12:56 PM
A doctor's exam may also include tests to rule out conditions that can mimic inattentive ADHD, including:

Hearing or vision problems
Learning disability ==> what it THIS is the thing I have, or I'm just lazy or both?? That's what worries me
Anxiety or depression

I don't have ADD right? I'm just stupid and there's nothing I can do about it, right? I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my days with no solution to this

We can't tell you whether you have a learning disorder or ADHD.
But it isn't hopeless. There are treatments for both of those.
Please see a doctor and get an evaluation and treatment if needed.

ciliegia
05-30-14, 05:45 PM
There are treatments for both of those.
I don't think so ... i think that if the doctor tells me I don't have ADD there's nothing I can do

ciliegia
05-30-14, 07:28 PM
Could I have autism? Is it possibile that the test results of ADD turn out wrong?

ciliegia
05-30-14, 07:31 PM
How can the school help you if you have ADD can they make you able to take as good grades as the other people?

Lunacie
05-30-14, 08:16 PM
I don't think so ... i think that if the doctor tells me I don't have ADD there's nothing I can do

It depends on what the doctor says you do have. There are treatments for learning disorders. Also there are treatments for Autism. See a doctor.

ciliegia
05-31-14, 01:03 PM
and another question:
If you read a sentence many many times are you able to understand it then? Sometimes I read it a tousand times and still don't get it, try the same subject in internet, still don't get it ...

ciliegia
05-31-14, 01:13 PM
in wich subjects does an ADD persone have trouble more?
I had trouble with language learning, history anche teorical stuff mostly I was very good at music and with math at fist usually I don't understand nothing but then when I do I'm fast at it (so they told me)

eclectic beagle
05-31-14, 01:31 PM
Mid-teens. I had a very atypical environment though.

ciliegia
05-31-14, 04:28 PM
I'll post this again to be more clear and get more answers
questions:
1) before you got tested for it and found out you had it, were you sure that the doctor was gonna say you did?
2) do you read slow?
3) If you read a sentence many many times are you able to understand it then?
4) in wich subjects does an ADD inatentive person have trouble more?

willow129
05-31-14, 04:38 PM
in wich subjects does an ADD persone have trouble more?
I had trouble with language learning, history anche teorical stuff mostly I was very good at music and with math at fist usually I don't understand nothing but then when I do I'm fast at it (so they told me)

ciliega - everyone is different, even people with ADHD...they may struggle at different subjects. Actually, people with ADHD have unpredictable grades, they'll do great in math and then next quarter be struggling and doing great in French or something...

Yes, there are things that can be done to help you if you are diagnosed with ADHD. You may have a learning disability - I've had many friends with learning disabilities who have become successful.

But maybe you should stop worrying about what exactly your problem is called, and just go see someone and say "I HAVE a problem. I don't know what it is but these are my symptoms." Don't try to self diagnose, go see someone who is a professional and ask for help. Go to your doctor and explain your problems.

psychopathetic
05-31-14, 05:22 PM
questions:
1) before you got tested for it and found out you had it, were you sure that the doctor was gonna say you did?
2) do you read slow?

1.) After I became convinced myself that I had ADD, yeah...I was pretty sure the doctor was going to say that I had it.
But I was in therapy for YEARS before I started to discover, on my own, that I might have ADHD...so I guess my answer to this quesition is no. I was really uneducated and unaware of what ADHD primarily inattentive was for most my life.
It doesn't sound like you're convinced you yourself have ADHD.

2.) yes. I've always been a slow reader. Where it seems a normal person only spends a minute or so reading a page from a book...it can take me several to read the same page. I hear of some people who read a book a day...or several books a week. If I'm really trying to read a book, it usually takes me at least 2 or 3 weeks to get through it (though I once recently read the book The Hobbit in 5 days, which is a record...then again it was while I was taking ADHD meds, so that definitely helped (with my focus).

3.) I'm not quite sure. My problem is I'll read a sentence or a paragraph, then come to a realization that I have NO clue what I had just read (space out)...so I have to go back over it and read it again. Sometimes when I'm really spacey, it doesn't matter how many times I re-read a paragraph...I just can't seem to concentrate hard enough to absorb the words.
Is this what's happening with you?

4.) This really is impossible to answer I think...it's different for everyone. Everyone with ADHD is different and will have their own unique struggles...not everyone with ADHD struggles with the same subjects.

I really do think there is hope for you...but I agree with people above, that you really need to go in and see a doctor and/or therapist. We can't tell you whether or not you have ADD here :(.
A doctor or therapist will hopefully better be able to help you find what's going on...and than it should be clearer to you, what you need to do from there.

psychopathetic
05-31-14, 05:28 PM
How can the school help you if you have ADD can they make you able to take as good grades as the other people?

School can help you with things like getting tutoring (at least at my community college), give you more time to complete tests, let you take your tests in a quiet room that isn't filled with other students, possibly give you extra time to turn in homework.
They may also help you with things like loaning you notebook computers (my community college does this), or other equipment (like calculators) that might help.

My school also had a counselor you could go in and talk to as you needed.

Medic84
06-09-14, 06:42 AM
I found out shortly after I turned 29. My wife and I went to see a therapist for marriage troubles. He thought I had it so I went to see a psychiatrist and he made the diagnosis official.

questions:
2) do you read slow?

1) No, I had no idea. I didn't even know there was an inattentive subtype.
2) I do not read slow.
3) Sometimes I have to read something many times in order to understand it. Sometimes I don't.
4) I have trouble in any subject that doesn't interest me. In college it was math and biology. I excelled in other subjects like my paramedic course work and also philosophy.

Uberend
06-09-14, 06:58 PM
Found out when I was 18 in college - I'm 22 now

To be honest I don't think I've gotten over is still even date that time. I suppose I thought that medication would be a complete cure and so far nothing has been radically improved.

Another question: Does anyone else ever feel alone with the add business? So frustrating not being able to understand things at other peoples pace or just concentrating. Bumming me out

Crosswired
06-09-14, 07:39 PM
I was a rare boy with Inattentive ADD. Teachers, parents, tutors just thought I was lazy. Not until Google and high-speed internet was I able to self-diagnose myself. Another 10 years before I actually got an official diagnosis by a psych.

Crosswired
06-09-14, 07:52 PM
Sorry, didn't read the rest of the questions.

1) before you got tested for it and found out you had it, were you sure that the doctor was gonna say you did? - 100%, I told him I knew 10 years ago.

2) do you read slow? - no, quite fast, unless it's technical.

3) If you read a sentence many many times are you able to understand it then? Usually

4) in wich subjects does an ADD inatentive person have trouble more? For me, Math.

ciliegia
06-12-14, 05:12 AM
Do you get lost sometimes when you go in places?

GRbiker
06-14-14, 01:06 AM
I was diagnosed ADD-I at 44. Initially went to see my therapist for anxiety and sleep troubles, things that had plagued me since I was 12. They had gotten so bad that I couldn't not get help.

1) before you got tested for it and found out you had it, were you sure that the doctor was gonna say you did? No, never even thought it was possible. I had a few visits to a counselor/therapist about six years earlier at the University I was attending, because I had had so much trouble the last two times I tried to finish my degree. He handed me a pamphlet about procrastination. Never said anything about ADHD. I went on to struggle mightily and quit once again. That's when I went to the therapist who diagnosed me.
2) do you read slow? I read fiction fast, other things would be fast if I didn't have to go back and read paragraphs and pages over again because I spaced out.
3) If you read a sentence many many times are you able to understand it then? Yes, mostly. If not I just move on and hope I'll understand in context.
4) in wich subjects does an ADD inatentive person have trouble more? Upper level math was hard, chemistry was the biggest drag, statistics. Philosophy was hard, mainly because the dense reading and good god, the writing. That's where I failed in my last attempt at college. There were writing intensives that I just could not get through.

Hang in there and get the help you need, you are already well along if you are aware that something is not right and have a hunch what it might be. I was able to delude myself for years that I just wasn't studying the right subjects, was at the wrong school, that I really wanted to do something else entirely, that I was just a late bloomer.

GRbiker
06-14-14, 01:53 AM
I want to add that we are all different, even though we share the same diagnosis. Your background, interests, support network, age at diagnosis, personality, etc. can all have a great deal to do with how well you can manage your ADD and succeed in your endeavors. You are young and aware, that's a good start.

psychopathetic
06-14-14, 03:19 AM

I do :( :mad:
This has always been such a frustration for me...it causes me great anxiety to this day.

MarkAfterDark
06-14-14, 10:34 AM

Sometimes if I go where I am not familiar I may zone out for seconds or minutes. All of the sudden, I realize that I have no idea where I am. I've done this often enough that I get worried I've missed a turn somewhere.

MarkAfterDark
06-14-14, 10:55 AM

That is incorrect. Even if a doctor tells you don't there are still things that can help.

There are dietary changes that can help, amino acid supplements that can boost dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine levels and herbal supplements that can increase blood flow in the brain.

Omega 3 fatty acids have been shown to help. 30 minutes of exercise a day can naturally boost healthy brain chemicals. Green tea and ginseng can naturally boost energy levels and concentration without constricting blood vessels how caffeine can. Ginko Biloba can help with memory.

My advice would be to look into Dr. Daniel Amen's online test for ADD. He groups ADD into 7 different, yet often overlapping categories. The one thing that unites all 7 types is that the harder you try, the more your brain (in particular, the pre-frontal cortex) shuts down. It's like your car's brakes are wired into your accelerator and the harder you hit the accelerator, the slower you go.

GRbiker
06-14-14, 01:50 PM

There is a LOT that YOU can do, just nothing that doctor can or will do for you. Don't let the fear of having one doctor say "no, it's not ADD" keep you from seeking help.

ciliegia
06-14-14, 09:15 PM
There is a LOT that YOU can do

what can I do then?

GRbiker
06-16-14, 12:58 PM
You can seek out a doctor who will help you, without the pre-existing fear that they won't.

Learn a meditation/ mindfulness technique. Before I was diagnosed, and before I really struggled with my symptoms I practiced Vipassana meditation. I was the most together and happiest I had been in my life. For various reasons, I ceased to practice, and all hell broke loose.

Find a support group with people who share your problem, if there are none in your area, keep visiting this site and join in converatsions.

One thing that has been important for me and others is not to isolate yourself, so the first three suggestions are about finding help from others. It is really important.

Otherwise, what MarkAfterDark suggested are helpful too.

Good luck to you, and keep trying.

Zanela123
06-18-14, 06:45 PM
I've never seen that listed as a symptom of any of the ADHD types.
What is common is having to reread something several times because we realize we've spaced out
and didn't actually process anything we just read.

I can read really fast, esp if it's a book or something I'm really interested in. If not I have to re read lines multiple times bc Ive spaced out or was thinking about something else.

I also can't read aloud either.. If I have to read a passage aloud to somebody I won't process anything I just read. It's prob cuz I'll be self conscious about how I'm reading and what the other person is thinking. I'm not sure if this applies to other ADDers or if it's just me.

ciliegia
06-20-14, 07:49 AM
the school year just finished. Here's what the teacher said:
She has a hard time in new but simples situations, she can resolve them if she's with a tutor.

and another teacher said I can get to do stuff if someone follows me, but sometimes even if people explain me the same thing over and over I don't get it ... you think it might be ADD?

willow129
06-20-14, 09:37 AM
and another teacher said I can get to do stuff if someone follows me, but sometimes even if people explain me the same thing over and over I don't get it ... you think it might be ADD?

ciliegia, I think you need to talk to a doctor about your troubles. That's ultimately what this comes down to. Don't be afraid to go to a doctor. A forum can't diagnose you

thesuperfluke
06-27-14, 10:58 PM
Ive been led to believe I might have ADD, and with gloss reason. My life is chaos because of my memory trouble- at least that's what I have always called it. Now I'm learning its inattentiveness. I can give one glaring example that illustrates almost all of my trouble. Among a million other "forgetful" things, I will call someone on my phone and forget who I am calling as soon as the phone rings. This is every single day. When the person answers, and I recognize the voice, their name and the reason for calling comes. Right back. Evey time. I won't bother with the endless list of what I constantly forget, lose, or forget to do.

I started concerta at 18mg with zero effect. I was moved up to 36mg and at first felt 50% improvement. It felt good to see even a little improvement. But now I feel like it wears off too soon, and seems to be working less.

So, are these things typical? I've struggled and suffered for so long with no idea that this could be the Dx. Do any of you share these symptoms? Particularly the phone calling issue? Also, has anyone found relief with concerta?

I guess I need reassurance that this is the right path.

Pilgrim
06-28-14, 10:29 AM
Probably a good way to look at it is the therapeutic window. You want your symptoms to be controlled to a certain extent. ( in the window ). But there is only a certain coverage during the day. The length of the window.
If you can pick the time you most need to be productive .
over medicating going out the top of the window, lots of unpleasant side effects, under medicating not getting many positive effects at all.
I get that thing with the phone call the Concerta should be able to help you focus just let it.
I hope you feel better regards.

Lunacie
06-28-14, 10:35 AM
Ive been led to believe I might have ADD, and with gloss reason. My life is chaos because of my memory trouble- at least that's what I have always called it. Now I'm learning its inattentiveness. I can give one glaring example that illustrates almost all of my trouble. Among a million other "forgetful" things, I will call someone on my phone and forget who I am calling as soon as the phone rings. This is every single day. When the person answers, and I recognize the voice, their name and the reason for calling comes. Right back. Evey time. I won't bother with the endless list of what I constantly forget, lose, or forget to do.

I started concerta at 18mg with zero effect. I was moved up to 36mg and at first felt 50% improvement. It felt good to see even a little improvement. But now I feel like it wears off too soon, and seems to be working less.

So, are these things typical? I've struggled and suffered for so long with no idea that this could be the Dx. Do any of you share these symptoms? Particularly the phone calling issue? Also, has anyone found relief with concerta?

I guess I need reassurance that this is the right path.

You could ask to increase the dose again - up to 72 mg - and see if that helps.

Most stimulant drugs don't provide nearly the coverage that is claimed for them.

Some take an XR med in the morning and a booster dose of IR med in the afternoon.

Nicksgonefishin
06-28-14, 12:05 PM
I found out 365 days ago. Today is my ADHD rebirthday.

I went in to see a therapist about anxiety and depression and was told that I didn't seem like I was anxious or depressed but rather I had something called ADHD primarily inattentive. I remember getting defensive and saying how I don't bounce off the walls. That is when he told me about a different kind of adhd. A kind where someone can sit and daydream all day and as he talked I realized he was describing much of my inner thought process and I was blown away.

I was still skeptical though. Until the moment that I tried a stimulant for the first time. It was the most eye opening experience of my life. literally. To be asleep for 31 years of my life and to be fully alert and understanding and illucidate what is going on was even more mind blowing.

If I lose treatment and medication at least I know what to call it now ADHDpi.

psychopathetic
06-28-14, 04:57 PM
Happy rebirthday Nick! :D

(((Nick)))

spamspambacon
06-28-14, 09:27 PM
Just curious if you've had testing done on your hearing?
My little brother (he is 28) was diagnosed ADD around 4-5 years old.

At 12 or 13 he had a very comprehensive hearing test done and it turns out that he's missing some of the nerves that pick up sound and process it to the brain.

He's only missing a very small amount of nerves, so the range of frequency he cannot hear is quite small. That's good, right?

Well, the frequencies he cannot hear are right where human speech falls.

Bad luck, huh?

Maybe not.

Turns out his biggest difficulties lie with some of the east Asian languages.
Sometimes I get sooooooo mad at him, I swear I'm gonna wait until he's drunk, and then dump him on a plane to Tokyo or Seoul.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to look at everything, right now.

Oh! And my little brother FAILED KINDERGARTEN!
So he spent quite a few years not hearing parts of some words when spoken by just some people...:eek: