View Full Version : Abilify anyone?

AnneM
05-30-14, 04:18 PM
Anybody take Abilify as an adjunct for depression? I'm currently on 4 mgs of Abilify and 60 mgs of Paxil for depression. My shrink just upped my Abilify to 6 mgs today because I am starting to feel lousy again........just wanna hear any thoughts anybody has on Abilify.......hopefully that it benefitted you.

Andi
05-31-14, 12:00 AM
If it weren't for Abilify I don't think I would have come out of my depression. I was working on 3 years of not being able to function because of my bipolar. For a time I was on Geodon and with it and my depression I was a zombie. Since I couldn't function I went off Geodon and took Abilify. Although I gained weight, I was up every morning by 5AM, no alarm clock, just woke up; felt well rested, bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Despite being productive, the draw back was I didn't have a lot of feeling. Case in point, my grandfather died while I was on it. He and I were very close and I didn't cry not a tear. I tried to cry but couldn't and was perplexed but I was just, can't even say numb because I was really just there; alert, awake, productive but nothing else. However, because of Abilify I was able to find and keep a job. Established myself at the company and when I started to have issues with edema brought on by the med I went back to Geodon. At that point Geodon no longer made me a zombie and I was stable and had feelings again. So, for the short-term Abilify was terrific and if I ever have severe issues again, I would not hesitate to go back on it.

Abi
05-31-14, 12:10 AM
You know Andi, you and I have had more in common that either of us would care to admit :)

TheatreKid
07-11-14, 07:57 PM
I'm on 6 mg of Abilify to deal with the depressive side of Bipolar I disorder. I find that it is truly the best medication I have ever taken in regards to making me feel normal again. I have motivation to cook, eat properly and exercise, and I am following a sleep routine, and I have never felt quite so relaxed and content. For the first little while when I started it, I felt extremely tired but that passed.

KrazyKat4Ya
07-11-14, 10:10 PM
I was terrified of Abilify and tried everything but..none of them worked. I kept reading and hearing about it causing diabetes and it freaked me out. The diabetes may occur in some because Abilify makes you craves sweets. Don't wanna freak you out about that but anyway, I finally succumbed to taking it and it was the best thing ever!!! I wasn't as irritable, depression ceased..my family actually saw an improvement in me. However, Abilify lowered my white blood cell count giving me an infection to which I had to take antibiotics and was immediately instructed to stop taking it. I loved it while it lasted. Hope it works for you as well without any complications.

silivrentoliel
07-12-14, 10:38 AM
I was on it for a year or so and it was amazing, really helped out a ton. The only two side effects I couldn't take much more of was the propensity toward sweets and the increased sensitivity to heat- especially since it's summer here and HOT

Dustbunnie
10-01-14, 03:55 PM
Was started on Risperdal as the anti-psychotic drug of choice by a Psychiatric Team (don't ask, lol), when I began Graduate School. Risperdal flat knocked me out! I hated it and gained a huge amount of weight. Upon leaving Grad School, the Team suggested Abilify. --i am likely schizoaffective (which dumbed down means Schitz & Bi-Polar (very very manic w/ infrequent yet nasty depressions)).
Started taking Abilify (15mg), in conjunction with Ativan, Klonopin, Topomax, Ritalin, and Zoloft! I am quite the cocktail!
Abilify ceases my hallucinations, voices, racing thoughts, and allows me way more of my natural energy. I've been on it 9-10 years now. It's a vast improvement to Risperdal which had me in a near coma-like head-space!! And I think because of it, I was able to cut my 200mg Zoloft intake in half, to only 100mg a day.

I have had no attributed side effects --mind you i DO take quite the plethora of meds and at times isolated effects is no simple act.

I thought that my Sweet Tooth was caused by me quitting drinking (for the most part), as if you ever noticed, most True Alcoholics LOVE sweets when not drinking. I'm not an Alcoholic, but stopped drinking when suddenly I lost the desire to.... Which I still wonder why that happened yet am grateful for it! So thanks Forum for that Sweet Info!! ;)

kimical
10-11-14, 11:14 AM
I take Abilify for schizoaffective and it works great with little side effects.

Babylon5
10-13-14, 09:30 PM
I was on Abilify for a short while, and I hated it. It made me so restless and hyper. It also made me manic (not in a good euphoric way, but in a negative way).

wonderboy
11-29-14, 06:26 PM
I personally believe, as well, that Abilify is a wonder drug for certain symptoms.

However, I experienced something called Akisthisa (which is an extreme sense of internal restlessness)

My doctor tried propanolol, but it causes depression. Anyone experienced the same?

michaelaisabell
11-29-14, 06:49 PM
I personally believe, as well, that Abilify is a wonder drug for certain symptoms.

However, I experienced something called Akisthisa (which is an extreme sense of internal restlessness)

My doctor tried propanolol, but it causes depression. Anyone experienced the same?

I also got akathesia. Worst feeling ever!!!

peripatetic
11-30-14, 11:05 AM

i've had akathisia. not from abilify, because i've not taken abilify, but i've had akathisia. it's BRUTAL. propranolol helped me a lot. it took a while to work, but it did resolve the problem.

hope it helps you! x

freshtodef
01-14-15, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking of stopping Abilify due to massive weight gain. I'm so embarrassed to admit this, but I have gained almost 80 pounds (I am 6'3" and used to be 170 about two years ago, now I'm 250).

The thing is I was steady at 170 lbs while I was taking 5 mg of Abilify. My roommate at the time was a health nut and I just ate whatever he ate so I stayed the same weight.

But then my roommate moved out and I started to pick up bad habits. Furthermore, at some point (I don't remember when exactly) I upped my ability to 10 mg.

Abilify is great for some negative symptoms I was having, but realizing it probably is contributing to my weight gain, I think I'm gonna have to stop taking it ASAP.