View Full Version : violent nightmares

excel
05-31-14, 09:33 PM
any have violent night mares

willow129
05-31-14, 11:11 PM
I used to quite a bit when I was a teenager, but they stopped happening as much when I moved away from home.

excel
06-01-14, 08:00 PM
I have them all the time. I had one Thursday night that sent me to the hospital. I got up and started running and ran into the wall.

willow129
06-01-14, 09:14 PM
geezum. are you ok now?

you must be stressed out...

Chivalry
06-01-14, 09:27 PM
??/???? :(

excel
06-01-14, 10:57 PM
geezum. are you ok now?

you must be stressed out...

I have go to the doctor tomorrow. I think I broke a rib. It didn't start hurting till this morning

sarahsweets
06-02-14, 04:26 AM
You really need to have a sleep study done. What you are describing goes beyond the definition of nightmares and sounds like night terrors and sleep walking and a bunch of other sleep issues. They will be able to monitor your brain waves while you sleep in addition to watching your entire sleep. I had one for sleep issues and it was a great source of information. You may thing its no big deal but what if you sleep walk right out of the house, fall down some stairs or something else deadly?

excel
06-03-14, 09:15 PM
I have had sleep studies done. I have sleep apnea. Those things don't show up in the studies usually. They suggest cognitive therapy

excel
06-04-14, 12:14 PM
What is sleep terror

excel
06-06-14, 02:23 PM
I didn't brake a rib. the xray came back normal

TygerSan
06-07-14, 09:03 PM
I'm glad your rib wasn't broken. (though sometimes bruised ribs hurt just as much).

A sleep terror happens in a different part of the sleep cycle than a nightmare. It's a little bit different than a normal dream.

If you woke up extremely scared, with a racing heart, but don't remember the dream at all, it could be a night terror. My sister used to get them when she was younger. She actually tried to climb the wall behind her bed once during one.

excel
06-08-14, 06:29 PM
I would say that I have nightmares. I never remember them.

excel
07-14-14, 08:44 AM
Still have them

excel
07-19-14, 02:09 PM
I am having another sleep study don e sometime this year.

petester
08-12-14, 12:24 AM
I have nightmares that im being chased by demons all the way across the country I have to tie a long dish towel around my head and in my mouth because my screaming is so loud otherwise ive almost been evicted from where I was staying. GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK

excel
08-12-14, 10:14 AM
I have nightmares that im being chased by demons all the way across the country I have to tie a long dish towel around my head and in my mouth because my screaming is so loud otherwise ive almost been evicted from where I was staying. GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK
What do think it means

someothertime
08-12-14, 10:49 AM
i have... since i was very young. they don't happen that often.... between around 1 to 3 times a year... ( the ones i remember - though that is generally the case with all my dreams..... rarely remember )

they are not that graphic

friends and alike throughout my life often report me screaming things and flapping arms as such but i never remember anything... things like carpets of snakes, chasing / being chased etc. and being with groups of friends and it playing out like some sort of movie.... the end result of all of these is something horrific that is inescapable / irreversable... that's the key i think ( in my case )..... that inescapable / irreversable thing ( a feeling of unpredictability with the world / lack of security ) ..... not so much the goings on....

i do not think there is necissarily any correlation to much... maybe some inappropriate scary movies when i was too young.... and a general sense of insecurity... tho' i think in general peeps put too much importance on these things....

Hathor
08-12-14, 12:09 PM
I'm glad your rib wasn't broken. (though sometimes bruised ribs hurt just as much).

A sleep terror happens in a different part of the sleep cycle than a nightmare. It's a little bit different than a normal dream.

If you woke up extremely scared, with a racing heart, but don't remember the dream at all, it could be a night terror. My sister used to get them when she was younger. She actually tried to climb the wall behind her bed once during one.

I used to get them and I wonder if the original Nightmare on Elm Street movie is based on them, as I would think I had woken but up only to find Freddy was still in control.

excel
08-17-14, 08:13 PM
I don't think I will ever get rid of them

excel
11-19-14, 12:48 PM
still have them, and probably will always have them

midnightstar
11-19-14, 05:38 PM
I often have nightmares, the earliest one I can remember having was as a little kid dreaming that Thomas the tank engine was coming up the stairs to get me

:grouphug:

Pilgrim
11-26-14, 05:19 AM
I have noticed lately that when the medication isn't working so well I start to have bad dreams. Anyone else.

OhLookABunny
11-30-14, 01:28 AM

My dad used to have night terrors. He would be convinced someone had broken into the house or something and he would be trying to protect my mom, who would be trying to wake him but he would be like "Be quiet! Get down!" etc. I don't think it was PTSD; he was in the Air Force but never in combat. I think it was probably some sleep cycle thing.

I have mild apnea (self-diagnosed, and I don't want to have a CPAP so I have trained myself to sleep on my side). Also my SSRI antidepressant gives me long, tedious, sometimes nightmarish movie-like dreams where I'm aware some part of my mind is scripting the dream but I can't make it stop. I hate those. :mad:

Rebelyell
11-30-14, 03:15 AM
I have those dreams from ssris too oh look bunny.

Little Missy
11-30-14, 08:50 AM
Can't remember if I already shared this but I'm suddenly chatty so here goes...I used to have this continually recurring dream where I was having a conversation with someone all the while I kept feeling my teeth loosen and fall out one by one while I surrepticiously spat them into my hand to keep them for reinsertion later only to find that when I opened my hand to arrange them in the correct order for proper placement that they had become a handful of long yellow fangs!!!

BellaVita
11-30-14, 09:49 AM
I do. It's been happening several times a week.

Just last night I had a horrible dream, def not going into detail. It's made me scared to sleep tonight.

I think too many big stressful things have been happening lately, also family member deaths I think really triggered it.

BellaVita
11-30-14, 09:50 AM
Can't remember if I already shared this but I'm suddenly chatty so here goes...I used to have this continually recurring dream where I was having a conversation with someone all the while I kept feeling my teeth loosen and fall out one by one while I surrepticiously spat them into my hand to keep them for reinsertion later only to find that when I opened my hand to arrange them in the correct order for proper placement that they had become a handful of long yellow fangs!!!

Teeth falling out is a common dream people have when there is something in their life making them anxious.

TygerSan
11-30-14, 10:22 AM
I've come to interpreting my teeth falling out dreams quite literally. It turns out that I'm almost always grinding my teeth when I have them. (As an aside, I have also grown mistrustful of dreams in which I am chewing). So, yeah, anxiety= tooth grinding for me also.

excel
12-05-14, 08:22 AM
I don't remember mine

Little Missy
12-05-14, 08:38 AM
Teeth falling out is a common dream people have when there is something in their life making them anxious.

Yeah, I finally had my dentist make me a custom mouth guard and it has been my best friend for about nine years now.

Whoops, derail...back to the normal programming.

Lunacie
12-05-14, 12:50 PM
Generally when I have nightmares or really intense dreams, it's a combination
of stress and not breathing well - whether I have a cold or allergies.

I've never been told that I thrash around or try to get out of bed. That must be
very scary.

excel
12-28-14, 09:15 PM
I still have them but not as bad

Little Missy
12-29-14, 07:53 AM
Benadryl and Atarax give me horrific nightmares and thrash uncontrollably. I never take either of them for any reason anymore. They scare me.

excel
12-30-14, 09:30 AM
Benadryl and Atarax give me horrific nightmares and thrash uncontrollably. I never take either of them for any reason anymore. They scare me.
What is Atarax

Little Missy
12-30-14, 09:34 AM
What is Atarax

An Rx antihistamine. Also called hydroxyzine, Vistiril, etc. It is sometimes used for anxiety but it also has the propensity to aggravate it also. A very, very old drug with many uses.

excel
01-07-15, 02:13 PM
I saw my sleep doctor and he told, That my episode wasn't do to a nightmare. He that's not typical of a nightmare. Having another sleep study done

excel
01-09-15, 07:07 PM
It happened again the other night but this time I fell down

Rebelyell
01-09-15, 11:31 PM
I was on that as a kid.My gf.gets bad night mares and terrors.i sometimes even tho I've never been abused or lived a violent.life have very violent, apocalyptic or.prophetic and vivid dreams.i think it might be the meds I'm on.last year I had a dream I died and my dogs thru out my.life were talking to me saying they missed me.and.it was about time.i came home.and they saw.me again.i.woke up shacking and.when I.saw my current dog.was.still.sleeping.on her bed it was a relief but what.an eye opener and way to wake up.

excel
01-11-15, 06:08 PM
Go Packers. Nice Win!!!!

Gilthranon
01-11-15, 08:44 PM
At the highest peek of my PTSD I had recurring violent chaotic dark abstract terrifying consistent fascinating nightmares. Difficult but got used to it. Didn't know sleep to be different. I also had a lot of crying in dreams - and I'm talking inconsolable

No more

excel
09-27-16, 12:54 PM
My sleep doctor said melatonin can help with this problem

excel
09-29-16, 01:03 PM
Cognitive therapy is supposed to help. I can't even tell you what they are about. I can't visualize anything, so I don't even no what they are about.

excel
01-09-17, 07:48 PM
Melatonin brings on vivid nightmares, so they say. Consumer reports ha s a thing on it this month.