View Full Version : Real Bipolar vs Fake Bipolar (video)

Chivalry
06-01-14, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-i7Y7atsqk

sarahsweets
06-07-14, 05:51 AM
Any chance you could give me a brief summary of the video. Anytime I see a youtube link thats more than 5 minutes I cant seem to hang on and watch it.

dvdnvwls
06-07-14, 10:53 AM
It's Sam Vaknin who has a rather strange reputation.

He essentially says that narcissists can sort of look like they have bipolar, but when you look closely, the narcissist's symptoms are recognizably different in several particular ways.

Chivalry
06-07-14, 11:27 AM
It's Sam Vaknin who has a rather strange reputation.

He essentially says that narcissists can sort of look like they have bipolar, but when you look closely, the narcissist's symptoms are recognizably different in several particular ways.
Yes, but the point of it is, is that to show how people who suffer with real bipolar, versus people with personality disorders,etc ...

It of course is NOT IN any way saying bipolar is anything related to that, because of course they feel for others,etc,etc and are a normal human being, but on the other hand people with ppd or whatever ... etc ..

??

dvdnvwls
06-07-14, 11:47 AM
There seems to be, among some people with bipolar, a feeling about people with personality disorders, "At least I'm human, at least I'm not like them". The us-and-them attitude doesn't seem very fair or healthy to me.

Fuzzy12
06-09-14, 07:34 AM
Yes, but the point of it is, is that to show how people who suffer with real bipolar, versus people with personality disorders,etc ...

It of course is NOT IN any way saying bipolar is anything related to that, because of course they feel for others,etc,etc and are a normal human being, but on the other hand people with ppd or whatever ... etc ..

??

I only managed to see the first 3 minutes of the video so my post is in response to your post above.

There are two things about your post that I find very disturbing but I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. So, are you saying that

1. People with personality disorders don't suffer?

2. People with ppd are not normal human beings (or are less normal than people with BP)??

fracturedstory
06-09-14, 11:00 PM
I take the post to mean that underneath all the symptoms of bipolar, or the moods, there is still a normal healthy human being, that does have a capacity for things like emotional regulation etc. I'm not really sure as I have rapid cycling moods and my normal mood never lasts longer than 30 minutes (and lately seems non existent) and I still have to deal with the symptoms of ADHD/autism during that time.

But people with bipolar can have a pd as well. BPD is quite a common co-morbid.

What I take from all this is that people with bipolar who seem like they have NPD are only like that during a euphoric state of mania. I can admit to being a complete arrogant a** at those times.
I even admit that during times of paranoia I do start exhibiting some anti-social tendencies. But I'm not sure if my anxiety is separate from my bipolar.

I don't think they were saying people with pd don't suffer, but they keyword here was 'real bipolar.' It is very different from a pd though looks similar. I've sometimes see my bp sister as a narcissist then again I could be paranoid. It could be my own moods leading to that.

You know what, I might just watch the video.

fracturedstory
06-09-14, 11:16 PM
OK. It's a good video. I was mostly right.

I've actually been accused of being a narcissist or having delusions of grandeur while talking about my manic symptoms. I was just talking about how I was going to be a famous author and my books would change the perceptions of society. I kind of miss having that much passion and hope in something. I was writing sci-fi and getting so damned delusional but I believed that I could actually do it.

I do relate to a few NPD symptoms though, but I'm more bipolar. It's like I'm mildly NPD, moderately BP. I say moderately because at times I can manage my symptoms, though given my drinking lately things have got a bit harder for me to manage on my own.

InvitroCanibal
07-12-14, 03:15 AM

??

It's a sensitive thing. To have a diagnosis with bipolar when you know that atleast half the people you tell will probably think you are making it up as an excuse. I still don't talk to half my family because of it. I think you're just trying to say that there is a clear difference because many doctors and educated people alike, try to say that bipolar disorder is a personality disorder.

I think the general issue are labels themselves and the way society sees them. We lose sight of the person. People with mental disorders deal with both a stigma of the disorder being accepted, or the disorder being denied, it's a lose lose situation.

Either society sees the mental disorder or accepts the mental disorder and loses sight of who we are as people or they deny it and still lose sight of who we are. The reason why the denials of a disorder hurt is because they aren't seeing us as who we are. They attribute our disorder to our personality or they focus solely on our disorder, it's a strange paradox because we want people to understand our disorder to understand us as human beings but in the process they can lose sight of us and see only the disorder or see us as broken.

People with personality disorders have it very hard too, if not harder. We have the luxury of seperating our identity from our disorder. But people with personality disorders have to both cope to who they are and change at the same time. Without medications, without a lot of resources in general. Most treatments fail and they often get unsuccessfully medicated.

The question has always been where does one thing end and another thing begin. Where does adhd end and bipolar begin, etc. The truth is we mostly don't know.

My perspective is, that if people want to say I have a personality disorder, let them. Neither disorder is easy and if people atleast understand that you have a disorder even though they may not understand the disorder itself, well that's one step better than them just thinking you are lazy, crazy or need discipline.

I'd rather just let them believe that then for me to argue one disorder is better than another disorder and say "oh i'm not like THOSE people."

The way I see it is we're all in this together, and there are times when bipolar people display personality disorders between different episodes. If anything that helps me empathize with people with personality disorders and I still think that all disorders should be seperated from the person itself. It's just with personality disorders, that becomes a lot harder to do.

If i've got bipolar personality disorder, or bipolar disorder, doesn't make a difference to me, what matters is that i'm working on it, accepting that it is something I will fight for my entire life but not who I am. I think perhaps people with personality disorders that are fighting it, deal with the same struggle and are always faced with that question of "who am I, beyond this disorder" just as we are.

Fortune
07-12-14, 03:18 AM
Haven't watched the video, but I want to point out that Sam Vaknin's work is rather dodgy in general. He's not a professional, and he's not even a narcissist as he claims. A lot of what he promotes contains disinformation.

So just be careful with his stuff is all I'm saying.

daveddd
07-12-14, 04:53 AM
PDs are so misunderstood by most professionals , let alone the general public, they really just shouldn't be a topic of conversation