View Full Version : Recommendation of a scientific book about ADHD/ADD

Remember79
06-03-14, 07:17 AM
Dear everyone

I would like to hear if any of you have some good titles on scientific books with the newest research about ADHD/ADD. I would also like a book that describes the diagnosis from A-Z and as clear as possible. Thanks in advance! :)

Dizfriz
06-03-14, 08:56 AM
Dear everyone

I would like to hear if any of you have some good titles on scientific books with the newest research about ADHD/ADD. I would also like a book that describes the diagnosis from A-Z and as clear as possible. Thanks in advance! :)

These are currently the two of the best.

ADHD in Adults, What The Science Says- Barkley, Murphy, and Fisher (2008)

Russell Barkley Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a handbook for diagnosis and treatment (2006)

Good luck,

Dizfriz

someothertime
06-03-14, 09:28 AM
Newest research might also be located ( with some ( a crapload ) of sorting and digging ) in more complex formats published in scientific / psychiatric journals and such.

I believe you'll notice a clear separation in the definition of "recent" depending in what circles you encounter.

Best bet would be to find a clear fairly recent "whollistic" book as Diz posted above, then seek out some more "emerging" studies on specific areas of neurology / psychology etc. etc.

And please, come back and share anything that jumps at you! :)

harley2bradley
06-03-14, 10:16 AM
Executive Functions: What They Are, How They Work, and Why They Evolved. Russel Barkley. Russel Barkley is pretty much farther of modern ADHD research. This is his latest book. I read his last book(Taking charge of Adult Adhd) and only stopped when I realized I was obsessing about minutia of ADHD and not solving my own issues. Good book though, really breaks down the whys of ADHD.

KCTang
06-03-14, 10:18 AM
I read Dr Thomas Brown's earlier book, "Attention Deficit Disorder, the unfocused mind in children and adults".

He has a new book titled "A New Understanding of ADHD in Children and Adults: Executive Function Impairments" released 2013, and I would recommend checking it out.

I had the opportunity of listening to him at a conference in 2010. He's well spoken and doesn't overuse the more complicated scientific terminology, and it reflects in his writing style.

http://www.drthomasebrown.com/booksbydrbrown/

Remember79
06-03-14, 10:34 AM
Thank you so much for your answers! :) I can definately use the information that you gave me. I am about to write a thesis about diagnosis and identity where stigma and recognition will be part of the subject. I use thinkers as Erving Goffmann, Axel Honneth - and even Jean-Paul Sartre etc., but I need a good basic book about ADHD/ADD. There are so many on the market! Once again thanks :)

Remember79
06-03-14, 10:48 AM
Btw. Something a bit different. I am motivated to write this paper because I have ADD myself, but sometimes I doubt my own diagnosis. I have been diagnosed with ADD twice but I canīt recognize myself in a lot of ADD descriptions because my attention is devided. I can fokus on many tasks for a very long time - like hyperfocus but also just in general. Itīs more difficult with boring tasks but since there are many things that I find interesting it can be very hard to notice for other people that I am inattentive. Is there some research about ADD that have a more nuanced view on being inattentive? I think that there is so much more to ADD that being inattentive - and for me itīs not the biggeset problem at all. I have so many other challenges with this diagnosis.

Dizfriz
06-03-14, 01:02 PM
Thank you so much for your answers! :) I can definately use the information that you gave me. I am about to write a thesis about diagnosis and identity where stigma and recognition will be part of the subject. I use thinkers as Erving Goffmann, Axel Honneth - and even Jean-Paul Sartre etc., but I need a good basic book about ADHD/ADD. There are so many on the market! Once again thanks :)
Also I might recommend the video lectures by Russell Barkley. You can find them on YouTube and I gave links to some other sources at http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1099114#post1099114
"What is ADHD and how does it affect people"

With the YouTube videos make sure you watch the full lectures. The snippets really don't give a good overview of the disorder.

Dizfriz

ADD Crusher
06-03-14, 10:01 PM
...and if you really want to go big-league on scientific content on ADHD, subscribe to Dr. Russell Barkley's newsletter, ADHD Reports from Guilford Press. It's a quarterly that summarizes all latest ADHD-related research.

Dizfriz
06-10-14, 11:08 AM
...and if you really want to go big-league on scientific content on ADHD, subscribe to Dr. Russell Barkley's newsletter, ADHD Reports from Guilford Press. It's a quarterly that summarizes all latest ADHD-related research.

If you are the parent of an ADHD child, you get a discount and I believe if you an ADHD individual that applies also.

Dizfriz