View Full Version : Skin conditions

Wookiee
06-04-14, 12:06 AM
Hi

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from any skin conditions such as Psoriasis or allergies and if they had issues with medication setting off things like Psoriasis.

I have Psoriasis, PPD (Paraphenylenediamine) allergy and Dishydrosis.

Stress sets off my Psoriasis, but the PPD and dishydrosis are an allergy.

I started UV treatment for the dishydrosis and Psoriasis which has helped a lot.
Still suffering tho and have to get some blood tests done for immune system response before I can take the medication used for the PPD and Dishydrosis.

TygerSan
06-04-14, 02:00 PM
I randomly started having issues with disyhdrosis like two-three years back, though I've gotten random small clusters for years before I knew what it was.

I thought at first it had mostly to do with the stress I was under at work. But now, it's two years post job, and every summer, like clockwork, my fingers and palms start blistering and sometimes peeling. I've been mostly lucky so far (touch wood) that it hasn't itched too bad. But man, the flaking skin is *so* appealing :rolleyes:.

I haven't actually gone to a doctor for it, cuz it's not too terrible, and from what I understand, it's kind of hard to treat as well.

Twiggy
06-04-14, 02:04 PM
I have Eczema, but am treating it with lots of Aveeno lotion. It seems to be working ok.
My skin is always extremely dry, no matter how much water I drink or good fatty foods I eat.

Hopefully Adderall won't bother my skin.

Wookiee
06-05-14, 01:43 PM
I started UV treatment for the Dishydrosis and it has helped heaps. Sunlight and sea water helps with that and the psoriasis.

My skin conditions havent changed with the Dex tablets.

But the ADD symptoms and the stress they cause affects my immune system and my skin conditions tend appear or get worse.

The paraphenylinediamine means I cant touch anything that has black or grey dye in it. Some things are ok, but the majority arent. That includes plastic, clothing, rubber and heaps of other things.

someothertime
06-05-14, 04:25 PM
-Had Exzma as newborn, in hosp for couple months ( critical )...
-Father has Psoriasis ( severe since around 30-35 i think )
-On and off "rashy / discoroloration" mostly around 7-8 patches on face... a little melatonin like...
-13ish... some more prominent spots... I think on elbows... perhaps hands or face...
-On and off in "spots" since 26... seems stress, diet.... seasonal.... ( vita E helps ).

Notice if I shower more than once a day or use a harsh soap... it can encourage it... lately just a few minor come and go bits... tho the right elbow is quite rough for a few years... some circulation involved too I think...

Exercise seems to keep it at bay... ( tho the extra showers are an issue )

Wookiee
06-05-14, 05:07 PM
Any soap with lauryl suphate or colour in it makes my skin burn.
I use medicated soap or soft stuff like QV wash.

UV definitely helps the psoriasis.
Next time you have a flair up find 5-10 minutes a day to expose the area to direct sunlight.
If you are near the coast sea water helps. You could try a saline solution.

Wookiee
06-05-14, 05:08 PM
Pine tar solutions work really well too.... if you can handle the smell.

Unmanagable
06-05-14, 06:29 PM
I used to use irish spring and baby oil/ lotion, or skin so soft, faithfully. I had dry skin, really bad in the winter, and slightly patchy elbows. I applied it pretty often throughout the day on my elbows and hands. I'd use some of the bath and body works stuff, too. I can't even handle walking into their store now.

I started using homemade soaps that I buy locally, mostly made from goat's milk, and I make my own lotion with coconut oil and usually peppermint or tangerine essential oil. I just whip it with a whisk to give it a creamier consistency and it works really well.

Some peeps say it's too greasy for them, but I love it. I'm going to try to add some shea butter next, I think. Lip balm with coconut oil and beeswax is the best I've ever tried. I used to keep a tube of medicated chap stick in my pocket. I only have to apply the lotion once a day, but usually treat the feet to more, and there's no nasty synthetic chemical smells lingering around.

I hadn't been seen medically for any of it, though, so I'm not sure to what degree it would be helpful for much more severe cases. Hope you get some relief.

Wookiee
06-06-14, 12:09 PM
Thanks Unmanagable.

Some great advice :)

OhLookABunny
06-11-14, 12:39 PM
Hi Wookiee and everyone, I'll chime in here.

My dad, who died in '03, had PRP (Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris) which is a rare genetic skin disorder where the skin cells produce at about 10x the normal rate. Redness, burning, itching, flaking, terrible misery ensue.

He suffered for 18 years with it, was only 71 when he passed, and I am convinced he would've lived into his 80s at least had he not had it. The weekend before he died, I could see he was skin and bone. His body was using most of the nutrients to make unnecessary excess skin cells.

He went to the Mayo Clinic twice but his was one of the worst cases and they could only give him symptomatic relief. I have been reading some on PRP and pray I don't have the gene - I'd almost go get tested but it might freak me out . . . undecided.

I think my dad had some kind of ADD too - he and I shared the propensity to go out to look for something intending to "be right back, I just need to go to X and pick up Y" and be gone several hours because the first store didn't have Y, and then oh, going right by another store and remembered they have ABC and I could use some ABC . . ." :D

So far, my skin is okay as far as no PRP or psoriasis-type things. But I had oily skin starting in my early teens because I had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which causes hormone imbalances. I also have hypothyroidism and take thyroid medication, but still have itchy dry skin, and since I had a hysterectomy and my ovaries removed, more dry skin. Mosquitoes also find me delicious, and I sometimes look like I have a weird rash from the bites. :mad: Hate those buggers!

Pilgrim
06-13-14, 09:00 AM
I think overall the ADD meds help. I use to blame my depression/ADD on the skin problems I have but it is the other way round.
I have to watch the seasons though.
I have chronic dermatitis, had to take some serious drugs, from an immunologist.
Now I don't take near as much ( immunosuppressants ). Thank god
If you have any itch cause it's bad to scratch; phisohex.
Skin probs suck

Wookiee
06-14-14, 08:13 PM
Hi OhLookABunny

PRP sounds like a terrible disease. When my psoriasis is bad it's horrible. I can't imagine it being anything like PRP. :(
I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that psoriasis is similar in that excess skin cells are produced as part of the repair process. Hence why people get it on pressure points like elbows etc.
But not in the order of magnitude like PRP.

I agree Pilgrim. My psoriasis flares up after stressful events. If I am emotionally or physically stressed it pays me a visit.

Pilgrim
06-17-14, 04:33 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what PRP is but I know a bit about Psoriasis.
They are all autoimmune. I have been studying his thing called the Marshall Protocol.
It is dysfunction of he way the immune system works.
I wish I could be twenty again and try this.
I think the treatment is hard and long but it would be worth it if it changed the genome.

A bit the same as stimulint medication.