View Full Version : Looking for a natural solution to "slow down"

d-scan
06-04-14, 02:49 AM
I am a very impulsive person who lives in the moment. My life and all my choices are based on rash decisions and distraction. This impulsive brain activity has prevented me from setting long term goals, following through with my education, and maintaining relationships.

As I come to this realization, I have tried every possible solution through trial and error, including ADD meds, herbal supplements, and neurofeedback. With the exception of Adderall, every medication gives me significant anxiety and I become socially inept. Adderall is wonderful, but I see it as a short-lasting "take as needed" drug and not exactly something you can rely on daily.

When it comes to the herbal supplements, I've experimented with fish oil, ginkgo biloba, and ginseng (the latter two combined). I must be a lightweight because ginkgo absolutely takes the life out of me and alters my personality.

All I want is to discover a pill or supplement that is SUBTLE and can reduce the amount of distraction and impulsiveness that I am faced with. Something I can take daily and don't have to coordinate my routine and diet around.

EDIT: It doesn't have to be natural, though it would be preferred.

dvdnvwls
06-04-14, 03:22 AM
Welcome to the forum!

For some people, meditation is what works. For others, meditation can be quite difficult especially to start. But from what you've said, it sounds like something you need to at least try.

Avoid making assumptions about what meditation is like; the stereotypical picture of meditation is not the only way to do it.

sarahsweets
06-04-14, 03:56 AM
All I want is to discover a pill or supplement that is SUBTLE and can reduce the amount of distraction and impulsiveness that I am faced with. Something I can take daily and don't have to coordinate my routine and diet around.

Unfortunately, there isnt a pill or supplement that can do the things you are saying. Meds can help you focus for sure and control impulsiveness but they only go so far. I have yet to find a supplement that even comes close the the meds I take.

someothertime
06-04-14, 05:32 AM
Your post screams excercise to me... and maybe a more medium term or whollistic view on what you put into your body.

PolaBear
06-04-14, 05:47 AM
Aside from the pills, you could be describing me! I think mindset and compartmentalising does help, although that then throws up more questions when your brain is spinning. Am interested in meditation though having a spinning brain hardly calms you enough to feel it!

sarahsweets
06-04-14, 05:50 AM
This is important to reiterate and something I meant to include in my post. You would not believe the amount of help exercise can give you. I used to call bull sh*t on people who said this to me up until 3.5 months ago when I went back to the gym. My mood is better, my anxiety is down and my stress is more controlled. My blood pressure when down from 140/90 in January to 121/73/

Your post screams excercise to me... and maybe a more medium term or whollistic view on what you put into your body.

Tmoney
06-04-14, 08:36 AM
I know its frustrating having lived with this disorder for 44 years. I have taken many different types of meds and dosages until I found what worked for me.

Diet, exercise, quality sleep and discipline are essential to dealing with this disorder and other disorders associated with it.

Dont give up. Keep going to your doctor and communicating with him/her until you find what works best for you.

It takes time patience and discipline, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

"When ever you find yourself at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!"

I wish you good things.

dvdnvwls
06-04-14, 12:09 PM
About exercise: Many of my friends here are serious about the gym etc. While that's great, I assure you that walking every day is a HUGE improvement over not doing any exercise at all. The day-and-night difference that people get from exercise is the difference between doing nothing and doing something; whether you go to the gym or the pool or the track or get on your bike or just put your shoes on and walk, you will surely benefit. Do the exercise that works for you.

d-scan
06-08-14, 04:00 AM
Thank you all for your responses! Exercise is a good idea, however I feel like my symptoms are too severe and deeply-rooted for exercise to be the end-all, be-all. Yes, it may alleviate the symptoms a bit, but it still doesn't change the fact that I can't force myself to sit down and plan my life out.

ginniebean
06-08-14, 02:14 PM
Yeah I hear you in the exercise, in fact I have found sometimes exercise wires me up.

Impulsivity is probably the symptom that has had the worst impact on my life. Not being able to stop and think things thru plays havoc on a persons life. I find it so difficult when faced with choices to figure out which one would be best I might as well roll a dice. Luckily for some things I have family that help me think my way they some of the more important things. They'll at times give me warnings about potential ideas and discuss that with me which acts to Externalizing what I can't manage internally.

Do you have someone in your life that is able and willing to help you think things thru? If you want message me and I can tell you some of the strategies I've put in place for myself. Keep in mind I'm older so i'm not planning out my whole life but I'd be happy to bounce ideas around with you.

There are solutions sometimes the hardest part is finding them. Initiating the implemtation is a hump but once past that things can swim along.

sarahsweets
06-09-14, 05:15 AM
t. Adderall is wonderful, but I see it as a short-lasting "take as needed" drug and not exactly something you can rely on daily.

I am not sure I understand why you feel this way. Adhd is chronic and life long and when you find proper treatment, taking it indefinitely is ok. I rely on my meds everyday because they work. Taking my adderall on an "as needed" basis isnt going to work for me because I have adhd 24/7. In fact my doctor strongly discourages the as needed rationale. Diabetics take insulin everyday, people with poor vision wear glasses everyday and I take meds for my bipolar everyday. I rely on adderall because I have a brain disorder called adhd and the effective treatment is with meds. No one should feel shame if they need to treat it everyday especially if meds work.

d-scan
06-11-14, 02:00 AM
I am not sure I understand why you feel this way. Adhd is chronic and life long and when you find proper treatment, taking it indefinitely is ok. I rely on my meds everyday because they work. Taking my adderall on an "as needed" basis isnt going to work for me because I have adhd 24/7. In fact my doctor strongly discourages the as needed rationale. Diabetics take insulin everyday, people with poor vision wear glasses everyday and I take meds for my bipolar everyday. I rely on adderall because I have a brain disorder called adhd and the effective treatment is with meds. No one should feel shame if they need to treat it everyday especially if meds work.

This is a good question, and I have several reasons for being reserved when it comes to taking Adderall daily. First, I guess I'm sort of in denial about how bad my ADD really is. Focus-wise and socially, I have some days which are better than others. When I have a really good day, I tend to put my concern on the back burner and forget about it until I have a bad day, then freak out trying to find the cure.

Secondly, I'm sensitive to any medication and really dislike not being in control of my personality. Also, I like who I am while non-medicated. I don't enjoy the idea of living an 'artificial' life on Adderall; it doesn't feel natural. The transitions, the ups and downs, doing and saying things that I typically wouldn't.