View Full Version : Concerta and anxiety

Nicoleanna
06-04-14, 05:47 PM
Hi all

I am 25 year old professional who has been recently diagnosed with ADHD. My GP started me out on 17mg of concerta for one week and then progressed to 27mg. After two weeks on 27mg, I started feeling a sensation of overwhelming anxiety and worry. I was able to concentrate more however I was so consumed on any negative thing that I would allow myself to hold on to that concept and continually work myself up until the medication wore off. I stopped taking concerta and went to my physician to see about trying a different medication as I knew that each medication effected each person differently. My doctor was not in however another physician in the office prescribed me his second choice, which was Strattera. I have been on Strattera for 5 days now and am still feeling some minor anxiety however, nothing in the way of alleviating my ADHD symptoms. As a non- stimulant I don't feel this medication is right for me.

I am generally a reactive person but anxiety doesn't debilitate me. On concerta I was constantly reasoning with myself that I was overreacting for no reason however it did get the best of me at times.

My question is what medication is best for someone who does have anxiety in a already stressful life/ work environment. I understand that it may be a process of trial and error but I want to be as informed as possible in my next choice.

Thanks in advance

dvdnvwls
06-04-14, 10:51 PM
Strattera can take a long long time (weeks) to even start working; now that you're taking it, give it a chance. Take it till the end of the month before you give up on it.

sarahsweets
06-05-14, 04:32 AM
Well in theory all stimulants can either cause or contribute to anxiety but alot of us found that once we were on the right medication at the right dose, our anxiety was reduced a lot-even though we were on stimulants. I know concerta made my anxiety 100 times worse while adderall helped my anxiety by giving me the focus to work through it.

adhd_could_be
10-25-14, 02:42 PM
I've been on every ADHD med more or less, and have worked professionally in health, leave it that.

In my personal experience and from what I've seen, Straterra is useless, it failed it's depression clinical trials so was pushed as an ADHD med, Reboxatine, another SSRE avail outside North America has an excellent response for ADHD.

Make no mistake though, Straterra is a stimulant, just not a dopaminergic stimulant, Concerta you could say is more a happy medium between dopaminergic and norepinephric, with adderally being more towards the dopamine side, dexedrine more so, and desoxyn near mostly.

Concerta is known to cause compulsive behaviors at times, and is slightly more useful, as a whole, for hyperactive-impulsive features.

Adderall and dexedrine actually usually cause less anxiety in general, but can produce euphoria and are far more habit forming.

Personally, I found adderall to be fantastic, no anxiety, but made me near manic, while calm and focussed, it's sort of an oxymoron.

Functionally concerta was always the best for me, I'd be level, no ups and down, focussed, but able to control that focus, my energy was still my normal amount (high, I always have boundless energy, but on Concerta I didn't feel forced to let it out whenever, it was far more controlled. The thing is, Concerta gave me intense anxiety. It was more of a physical anxiety I found.

I think the thing people also don't realize about ADHD, is that it's an environmental disorder, evolutionarily ADHD has a function, just not sitting in a desk etc. drugs force that behaviour on you, but also make you neglect the other things missing from the lifestyle you're sort of wired for.

For example: you have abnormal cortisol fluctuation, it goes up and down throughout the day, it's not biphasic, this also means you have more blood sugar fluctuations than normal (cortisol ->norepi->epi->catabolism->insulin->blood sugar crash) at a cortisol fluctuation cycle of about 3 hours... this effects aldosterone too, tanks your blood sodium, spikes potassium and calcium, which causes muscle rigidity, and physical agitation, glutaminergic nmda firing (more or less causal of OCD), you also get light hypersensitivity... plus peripheral vasoconstriction, you lose heat, but head and groin overheats... inflamatory processes in CNS... plus you lose fluids which cause compensatory tackycardia with reduced preload, lowers oxygen levels, spikes CO2 levels, which causes hyperventiliation, oxygen deprivation to muscles... oh, and back to metabolism, 12 hour stimulant puts you into long term glycogen breakdown, which stabilizes blood sugar (and gives early effect of inherant blood sugar fluctuation alleviation with long acting stimulant) but puts you into a somewhat ketoacidotic state... which gives you brain foc, causes irritability, muscle agitation... etc.

So, my recomendations on Concerta, especially because of it's unique half life, would be to eat every 2 hours, force yourself, believe me, you'll get used to it, I eat 3500 calories a day on 54 mg of Concerta, and I don't force myself at all, even eating at the four hour intervals where the blood concentration is at lowest is a good start.

Don't eat simple carbs, period, blood sugar probs are at heart of ADHD, bring a bag of nuts with you, snack on them throughout the day, and make sure to get some salt, serious, stimulants lower your Na through the day... vasodilation, back to initial problem, plus hyponatremia makes you agitated.

Drink lots of water, period, force yourself, I discussed above how stimulants mess with this.

Try epsom salt baths, stimulants cause hypomagnessia, and magnessium is literally most important mineral in psychiatry, hypomagnessia causes OCD, ADHD, mania (Lithium and Mg have same chemical properties as co-factors for inter-neuronal enzymes/messengers, about 400 of them, also stops calcium stimulation of NMDA glutamatergic receptors, (which cause OCD, and even cell-mediated apoptosis (a long term sort of stroke per se) they also have a feedback loop with certain dopaminergic receptors which counteract effect of stimulants... they also has reciprocal effects on GABA-A and glycine, your CNS, lets say rest and relax receptors, which are important in normal sleep cycles, and GABA-A well, benzos hit the BZD allosteric site on GABA-A, so you can extrapolate their importance in anxiolysis.

Epsom salt baths are also wonderful on the muscles, reduce muscle tension, and are just amazing in general.

Finally, exercise, exercise, exercise, ADHD meds trick your brain more or less into thinking they are in CNS activated state, even when your body isn't which is why you get that lagging effect, or certain side effects which result from the incongruencies of the eventual physiological mismatch once the stimulant wears off.

After changing my lifestyle, I've found concerta to be amazing.

For a med alternative, I would try Atentol, it negates the peripheral CNS effects of stimulants while having minimal CNS effects, and from my experience most anxiety from Concerta was due to physical effects which would cause the mental effects secondarily.

Out of interest, Clonidine, Guanfencine etc. which are true NON-STIMULANT meds, work by agonizing the beta2 imidazole receptor, the central one, which more or less shuts down your CNS, good for hyperactivity, and hyperactivity induced concentration, impulsive effects, but practically speaking, are useless if you're not 12 and don't have the luxury of sitting at home and playing board games all day.

Atentol, in comparison, just shuts down beta one receptors, which regulate heart rate (beta 2 is bronchodilation) alpha 1 blood pressure, alpha 2, don't remember, but itsn not important, it's also only peripherally acting, so no CNS effects, hence no effect on mental effects of stimulants, but real alleviating affect on any physical anxiety.

I take 50 mg of atentol for ptsd, and it's great, totally beats popping a xanax and feeling stoned all day. Just my 2 cents.

Hi all

I am 25 year old professional who has been recently diagnosed with ADHD. My GP started me out on 17mg of concerta for one week and then progressed to 27mg. After two weeks on 27mg, I started feeling a sensation of overwhelming anxiety and worry. I was able to concentrate more however I was so consumed on any negative thing that I would allow myself to hold on to that concept and continually work myself up until the medication wore off. I stopped taking concerta and went to my physician to see about trying a different medication as I knew that each medication effected each person differently. My doctor was not in however another physician in the office prescribed me his second choice, which was Strattera. I have been on Strattera for 5 days now and am still feeling some minor anxiety however, nothing in the way of alleviating my ADHD symptoms. As a non- stimulant I don't feel this medication is right for me.

I am generally a reactive person but anxiety doesn't debilitate me. On concerta I was constantly reasoning with myself that I was overreacting for no reason however it did get the best of me at times.

My question is what medication is best for someone who does have anxiety in a already stressful life/ work environment. I understand that it may be a process of trial and error but I want to be as informed as possible in my next choice.

Thanks in advance