View Full Version : my daughter needs help

dealwithit08
06-05-14, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry if this is a repeat post but the one I submitted yesterday never got posted so I will try a 2nd time.

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was in 6th grade. She was put on Adderall which she took for about a year. She then flatly refused to take it anymore. She is now soon to be 28 years old and has become quite difficult to live with. The smallest things set her off. Very quick temper, moody, wishes she were dead, has already quit 3 jobs without any thought, at the spur of the moment she just went in and said I quit. Regretting it days later. She is in drowning in debt because of her impulsive buying. Her bf cannot take much more and has left her many times but comes back. She is very short tempered with him because she has no money. She also has no health insurance, won't get it till she is working her present job for 3 months, if she stays at it. It is on her chart that she was diagnosed with this yet her PCP refuses to give her any medication until she sees a psychiatrist who deals with this, yet none of them will take insurance, they want the cash up front and she does not have the money to pay for numerous visits.

Is there any other way she can get some help with this before something serious happens. I doubt any free clinic will see her, but I am at the end of my rope I do not know where else to turn, but she needs help now.

Lincourt
06-05-14, 09:02 PM
why don't you try to distract her from all those problems? invite her out, at least a couple of days and do not mention anything related to her current situation. Maybe all she needs is a break with someone who understands her.

Sunlovinlady
06-05-14, 09:51 PM
There are some herbs she can take like rhodiola rosea, vitamin C, fish oil & magnesium that help if she doesn't want to do the meds or can't. Have her try meditation or yoga or mindfulness training. It's going to be next to impossible to make her want to learn coping skills on her own or look into helping herself if she does not want the help. Of course excercise and eating healthy (no processed food) is one of the best things she can do. Anything that helps is going to cost money. If she could just harness her good and bad energy into something positive that she wants to do that gives her a release from the symptoms, that would at least help.

Are you ADHD yourself? Has she learned anything from you if so?

sarahsweets
06-06-14, 04:35 AM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162601

This is your original thread in which I responded. Sometimes threads get lost in different sections.