View Full Version : Barr Labs Generic Adderall

pineyknot
03-30-05, 10:30 PM
I've recently read about all of the negative comments about Barr's generic Adderall here on the forum and I must concur with ALL the statements I've read.

It seemed to me I was having a shortness of breath issue with Barr generic that led me to seek comments from others here about changing from one generic to Barr.

I pay out of pocket each month so I thought "this isn't heart medicine" so I opted for the generic. I take 30mgs @ day. My pharmacy (Walgreens) had generic from Abrika and I thought, "close, real close" to Shire...Then they started giving me generic from Barr...my gosh....night and day difference (not) "GOOD" night n day difference! I actually called the local District office of Walgreens and spoke with the fellow that handles the distribution of the generics to all the Walgreens in my state and complained about the difference and wondered if there were any stores that sold the Abrika...Of course he said not at this time. So I said I'd look around for other pharmacies to see what generics they used. Well,....Eckerd, CVS, et.al, ad nauseum, and ALL carry BARR! I thought if Shire really has a say in whom is able to make the generic Barr must be making the freakin' W---T so people will pay for the brand name! It certainly is working on me that way. April 1st I will spend the extra $80.00 for the REAL DEAL!

Back to my statement of SOB....It's not an "I can't breath" shortness, more of a, "I'm not breathing deep enough" kind of shortness. Like only the top half of my lungs are being used.? I never had this while taking the Abrika generic. Oh yes, and it sometimes make me feel as though I have brain fog (that's why I started this medicine to get away from!) OR it feels like brain shock. Like my brain gets locked on one NEGATIVE thing and won't let go and just keeps feeding it till I have to stop what I'm doing and relax. I've never had those things happen on Abrika or Adderall(Shire).

AND....it (Barr) doesn't HELP with the focus I need to get things (well one thing) done! Hell it just doesn't help!

Oh well, if any have had the same please let me know here in the forum.

Hey Dude
03-30-05, 11:31 PM
Hey I don't really like taking medication much at all but i totally could agree that barr isn't a good company. when my parents insurance was changed one time I had to have generic of adderall regular relese and one month the first i got abrika then after that i got barr. the barr adderall had made my fingers go numb and i did get that brain fog thing you mentioned to. that was a point my dr actually swiched my medication at that time because i was scared to take it because of my fingers going numb.

VickiS
03-30-05, 11:50 PM
Here is my post cut and pasted from an earlier thread....

That being said, I am not anti generic, just anti Barr.
Frankly, if the ingredients are different -even inactive ones I have to humbly argue that it can’t be the same.(enough said) It is the inactive ones that carry this stuff through your body, and based on the 3 pages of possible interactions that came with my prescription, Adderall is pretty sensitive stuff. Anything that affects your body’s pH will affect it. Depending on your needs, some of the fillers may keep the drug more stable for some. I have tried the generics Abrika and Barr and seen a huge difference; The Barr whooshes through my system and then I come crashing down. The Abrika was much “smoother” if you will. Seems that darn Barr drug rep has been working pretty hard around here, and all of a sudden I can’t seem to find anything else , I asked my Doc for a script for just 10 of the brand name (Shire) (All the Add stuff is on my own dime) I am going to get it filled today,
I will let you know…

Several hours later: Holy Moly!! $36.00 for 10 little pills...

pineyknot
03-31-05, 05:50 PM
I just got back from my "shrink" and he told me there IS a difference in the different manufacturers generic (Adderall) Dextroamphetamine:mad:

He believed everything I said about the way if made me feel.

dis-claimer
~Of course everything I say on this board is my opinion:rolleyes: ~

Chadwick
04-01-05, 12:37 AM
You know, I don't believe everyone can be wrong, but let me just state my opinion that some people reach conclusions way too readily, and with pre-conceived notions as to the outcome of personal trials, re: generic vs. brand.

I've tried Barr Labs and had good results with it. I tried Mallinkrodt's generic Adderall and felt it was less potent than Barr Lab's. This is the opposite opinion that most people hold around here. I don't know why that is, but that's what I felt. Not saying everyone is wrong but really I find it interesting how very satisfied I was with my Barr Lab's generic.

VickiS
04-01-05, 01:03 AM
I think this drug is super sensitive to an individual’s chemistry; certain formulations do not get along as well for some as others. I went from the Abrika generic which I thought was a wonder drug to the Barr which if you will allow be to be technical made me feel really icky (I think it is stronger as well) I came home with 10 (count em 10) of the real deal (Shire) yesterday, I took it for my first dose, and it was like night and day, to make sure I had my husband "surprise me" with my second dose- sure enough I knew in an hour it was the Barr. Although to be fair the biggest give away was how thirsty I was.
So now I know what works for me….

Chadwick
04-01-05, 11:38 AM
Interesting. Someday I hope I get a chance to try Shire Adderall.

VickiS
04-01-05, 11:55 AM
Actually the Abrika generic (although memory for this kind of stuff is so fickle) seemed to work well for me, I just can't find it. Maybe if I contact them directly they can point me in the right direction.

stanzen
04-01-05, 02:56 PM
Very intersting discussion. I'm taking Barr 20 mg tablets. I was taking 10mg tabs of another generic two months ago. I don't recall the brand, but the 10mg tabs were large, dark-green or blue and round, with a deep cross etched into to middle.

These seemed to take longer to get into my system than the Barr. The pills were large, hard and had a thick coating; they did not dissolve in my mouth at all. In contract, the oval scored Barr tabs dissolve immediatly if I don't swallow them quickly.

A difference in initial soluablility of the binder matrix does make a difference in how the drug ramps up in your system, especially if taken on an empty stomach. You will notice rising blood levels of the drug and a different peak effect. I've read some speculation in the literature about extended, but rising blood levels of Ritalin (rather than absolute dose) being related to better theraputic effects for some kids with ADHD.

Taking a Barr with breakfast or lunch seems to buffer the initial effect for me, but I could take the other generic on an empty stomach. Otherwise, I noticed no difference in the two generics I've taken.

Then again, I downed a Grapefruit as big as my head, last week, to chase my afternoon dose of 20mg Barr (horrors, warning, danger !!!) and noticed little difference in effect except it _seemed_ to take the drug longer to get into my system (but similar delay to eating a big meal with it). So, I may not be one to notice subtle differences.

pineyknot
04-01-05, 07:58 PM
As I said in my original post...the SOB is not an "I can't breath" shortness, more of a, "I'm not breathing deep enough" kind of shortness. Or a, "this is what asthma must feel like"; kinda in the middle of the lungs that will eventually give me a "lump" in my throat.

Of course there is a medical term for this as well, "Globus hystericus"
but I do not feel especially tense or anxious when it happens.

Globus hystericus
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>DESCRIPTION http://www.herbchina2000.com/therapies/images/1x1.gif Also called psychogenic dysphagia, difficulty in swallowing, with the sensation of a lump in the throat or as if the throat is compressed. The diagnosis should be made with caution and only after thorough evaluation. Both the pharynx and oesophagus should be evaluated in patients with pharyngeal dysphagia; about one third of patients with distal oesophageal obstruction have symptoms referred to the neck region.

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Globus hystericus is generally associated with sadness, anxiety or stress.
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Globus is probably a physiological symptom of certain mood states.
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>It is not associated with a specific psychiatric disorder or set of stress factors. Certain people may have an inherent predisposition to respond in this way.
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>http://www.herbchina2000.com/therapies/images/1x1.gif </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>SYNONYMS http://www.herbchina2000.com/therapies/images/1x1.gif </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>

Psychogenic dysphagia
Lump in the throat
Globus sensation
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>SYMPTOMS http://www.herbchina2000.com/therapies/images/1x1.gif The sensation resembles the normal reaction of being choked up during events which cause grief, pride or even happiness. Suppression of sadness is the usual reason found for this and the symptoms can be relieved by crying.

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>The sensation can also occur during times of extreme stress when the whole body feels tense. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Johna
04-01-05, 11:06 PM
Stan becareful of eating grapefruits. Grapefruits can cause serious side effects with some meds...check with your pharmacist.

stanzen
04-02-05, 01:53 PM
IBack to my statement of SOB....It's not an "I can't breath" shortness, more of a, "I'm not breathing deep enough" kind of shortness. Like only the top half of my lungs are being used.? I never had this while taking the Abrika generic. Oh yes, and it sometimes make me feel as though I have brain fog (that's why I started this medicine to get away from!) OR it feels like brain shock. Like my brain gets locked on one NEGATIVE thing and won't let go and just keeps feeding it till I have to stop what I'm doing and relax. I've never had those things happen on Abrika or Adderall(Shire).

I would call this "Globus hystericus" shallow breathing. Something people do when they are anxious or depressed (or when they've just taken a lot of coke or amphetamine-- where shallow breath is accompanied by calm, and euphoric feelings -- not that I might know anything about this). The negative lock you describe seems related, as well; perhaps hyperfocusing?

Again, I propose that the Barr tabs may absorb into your (and other peoples) system a lot faster than the other kinds. This would cause a greater delta, change in rising blood levels of drug, a quicker and higher peak of blood levels AND all the effects of taking too much medication.

When I've taken too much med, I hyperfocus and have shallow breathing- - which I doesn't help my ADD symptoms.

Or this could be a reaction to something in the pill matrix (allergen or otherwise), or a combination of both.

But, I'm not a physician, and I'm just speculating wildly. ;)

Do you take the Barr with a meal? I always take it with a meal to slow down the uptake, something I did not need to do the the other generic I was taking.

Ok, I checked my old meds and the 10mg "for adderall" is made by EON. Anybody heard of this? :confused:

Johna, as for the grapefruit, thanks for your concern and warning. I tried an experiment that I definitly would not try with a different type of medication (like an MAO inhibitor or heart med) and I don't encourage anyone else to try this.

I've wondered if the citric acid in citrus fruits would make much of a difference in the uptake of adderall, and chose grapefruit because of its known biological activity---and I love them -- and one was sitting there as big as my head!! Rather than write about it, I tried it myself, seeing little harm in known interactions with this particular drug. But, of course, there are the unknown, unknowns. Cheers.

Cheers.

pineyknot
04-02-05, 11:02 PM
Makes sense to me Stan....Thanks

Gregster
04-03-05, 11:28 AM
I think I also have a "quick breathing" thing which may be related to amphetamines (it's not shortness of breath, I never feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen), usually after working out - I don't mean to be facetious or sound stupid - obviously after working out, I'm breathing faster, but what happens is I continue to breath rapidly, long after I'm finished working out, like my breathing rate never changes. When I conciously realize I'm doing it, and make an effort to breath at a normal rate, it goes away completly, until the next day when I work out again! I've never noticed this before, it's a recent thing. It doesn't worry me, it just stuck me as odd.

Gregster
04-03-05, 11:41 AM
Oh, and more on topic this time, the response I got from Shire was disappointing. I'd asked them for info/research on Barr or other generics vs Adderall as well as any info on long term effects of theraputic use of amphetamines - or help in finding such stuff on the web. I figured that, being the name brand manufacturer, they would know all about any potential differences in generics and any problems with specific brands, since it's their bread and butter business. They responded that they didn't know of any research that compaired Adderall to Barr generics or other generics, and that they couldn't give me any more information than a link to their web site since I was not a health care pro - I guess there are very tight rules about what pharmaceutical companies can inform consumers about. They said that if my doctor requested it, they could provide it to him. My doctor is currently overworked and underpaid and I won't see him for another 3 months, so if anyone wants to ask their doctors to contact Shire, I'd be interested to see what they provide - be interesting to see what Barr Laboratories would provide too! Anybody got an accomodating doctor they're seeing in the near future?

Chadwick
04-03-05, 05:40 PM
Give me the info, e-mail address, etc., Greg, and I'll see if my doctor is up to it.

stanzen
04-03-05, 10:42 PM
I'd asked them for info/research on Barr or other generics vs Adderall as well as any info on long term effects of theraputic use of amphetamines - They responded that they didn't know of any research that compaired Adderall to Barr generics or other generics, and that they couldn't give me any more information

Interesting, now why wouldn't Shire spend the money to trash their major generic competetor? Perhaps they already did spend the money and found little difference. From what I've seen from snippets of their information sheets for the Adderall XR, they only compare bloodlevels of the d and l isomers from XR and their own standard release Adderall.

Here's an excerpt from a 2002 Edger filing from Shire where they mention legal challenges from Barr. Seems that Barr came up with their own extended release version of Adderall but was prevented from marketing it due to patent constraints.
They are going to court next year (2006) on this issue. Because of the controversy, Shire was given a 30 month exclusive right to market their XR version.

Note the concluding remark: "Two new life cycle management projects for the ADDERALL franchise are currently under development (SPD465 and SPD483)"

On February 11, 2002 Barr Laboratories Inc. (Barr) announced FDA approval to market a generic version of the original ADDERALL formulation which is not patent protected. Since then, several other companies have also obtained approval and launched generic versions of ADDERALL.

In November 2002 we received approval from the FDA for a new formulation of ADDERALL which is patent protected. In January 2003 we received a Paragraph IV notice from Barr alleging that this patent is invalid and not infringed by Barr's 7.5 mg, 12.5 mg and 15 mg mixed amphetamine salt products. Further details are included in the intellectual property section below.

Our extended release product ADDERALL XR is covered by a US patent . In January 2003 we received a Paragraph IV notice from Barr alleging that this patent is invalid and not infringed by Barr's extended release mixed amphetamine salt product, the subject of a pending Barr Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA). In February 2003, Shire Laboratories Inc. filed suit against Barr for infringement of this U.S. patent. For more details see sections headed intellectual property and legal proceedings below . There can be no assurance that the Company will prevail in the suit and in the event it does not this may have a material adverse impact on the Company's results and financial position .

A Supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) filing was made in December 2002 for use of ADDERALL XR in adults. Two new life cycle management projects for the ADDERALL franchise are currently under development (SPD465 and SPD483).

VickiS
04-04-05, 12:26 AM
I know little of the drug business, perhaps there is a royalty or financial agreement a generic company pays to the original patent holder of the drug. Or certain industry ethics that would prevent Shire from "trashing" a competitor who is technically producing the same product.
On a similar thought I wonder if a generic company has to tweak the drug a bit to avoid an exact duplicate of the original. I know the active ingredient has to be the same, but I am convinced it is how my body metabolizes the inactive ones, that dictates when and where this stuff is released and how it moves through my body. I have tried Abrika, Shire, and Barr, all are different shapes, sizes, and textures, tastes, and densities, The Shire and Abrika are fairly close, (I just can’t find the generic Abrika anymore) the Barr may as well be a different drug as far as my reaction to it goes. Come to think of it the Abrika and Shire are much denser with hard coatings the Barr seems porous, almost like chalk, I bet it is as simple as the Barr dissolving quicker and at a different place in its journey through my system.

Gregster
04-04-05, 01:39 PM
Chadwick,
Here's the response from Shire Medical Information US <MInformation@us.shire.com>

"The only information we are allowed to send you would be the package insert. We
are prevented from sending out other information to consumers, the only
information we can discuss is what is found in the prescribing information.
Your healthcare practitioner can make a specific request, and we can send out
the necessary information. And as for your initial request for information
pertaining to brand vs generic Adderall, there have been no studies conducted by
Shire on this topic. I apologize that we can not be of more assistance.

Shire Medical Information"

I had asked for research on long term effects of theraputic amphetamine use, safetly, and any info on generics and Barr in particular.
It'll be interesting to see what they do provide to a physician.
Regards,
Greg

pineyknot
04-04-05, 04:52 PM
Paid $175.00 for 60 (20mg) Shire Adderall! I'll continue to pay it too because I'll never purchase Barr again!

~This is my PERSONAL opinion~

Chadwick
04-04-05, 06:12 PM
That's actually not that bad. The generic is half the price, but $100/mo. premium isn't too bad for the brand.

VickiS
04-04-05, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=pineyknot]Paid $175.00 for 60 (20mg) Shire Adderall! I'll continue to pay it too because I'll never purchase Barr again!

FYI I got a quote from Target; $162 for 90 (20mg) Shire, It sounded too good to be true but I asked her to double check and she did. (They also always have $10. coupons for new prescriptions in the paper) I cut them in half; the pills not the coupons (Docs idea to get a better $$$) and average about 1.5 a day. It sounds like a lot of money but I can afford a $3.00 day drug habit.

On another note the Doc called today (how about that?) to find out how the Shire was going, (I got a script for 10 to try) She said that 10-15% of her patients complain about the Adderall generics: Barr seems to be the biggest culprit. She said it was how my liver was processing the drug that was making the difference,
Hmmm wonder if I need to worry about my unusual liver? Nope, not today…

I will confirm the cost at Target when I have them it my hot little hands.

stanzen
04-05-05, 02:32 AM
Vickis,
glad to hear you found affordable brand name Adderall. Drug prices vary so much. It's worth it to find what works and stick with it.

And, I agree, I have a feeling that the quick dissolving Barr enters the bloodsteam faster than the other mixed amph salts.

This thread made me curious, I was looking for specific inactive ingredients for the different generics and found nothing but the usual sucrose, lactose, corn starch, acacia and magnesium stearate.

However I noticed a legal suit (one of many) brought against Barr by Shire. "Appeals Court Rules Generics May Be ‘Physically Similar’ to Original"

Shire said that Barr Adderall containes saccharin, which the Shire drug did not contain. So, that's the sickly sweet flavor of the uncoated tabs.

Shire did not sue Barr for differences in drug performance or constituents, but because Barr colored its tablets similarly to Adderall. [Barr was the first generic co. to challange the end of Shire's Adderall patent.]

http://www.raps.org/s_raps/sec_RANews_Detail.asp?TRACKID=&CID=116&DID=21100

*** I have to admit that I am skepical about Shire. They were taken to task in the late 90's or 2000 (?) for their misrepresenting the benefits and effectiveness of Adderall in medical journals, parent's magazines, and in promotional materials. ****

pineyknot
04-06-05, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE=pineyknot]
On another note the Doc called today (how about that?) to find out how the Shire was going, (I got a script for 10 to try) She said that 10-15% of her patients complain about the Adderall generics: Barr seems to be the biggest culprit. She said it was how my liver was processing the drug that was making the difference,
Hmmm wonder if I need to worry about my unusual liver? Nope, not today…

I will confirm the cost at Target when I have them it my hot little hands.
Hum....I was told by several Doc's and the pharmacist that this medicine does not "metabolize" through the liver.:confused: As far as Shire goes....I don't care about the politics as long as it continues performs this well! I originally started taking Adderall in 1996-1998 when there were no generics. I quit taking it for a couple years till last year and have found the generics to be intolerable with the exception of Abrika but I cannot find it anywhere.

VickiS
04-06-05, 08:58 AM
I found the liver comment strange as well...
It is on my list of things to look into.

pineyknot
04-07-05, 05:43 PM
I found the liver comment strange as well...
It is on my list of things to look into.

Dextroamphetamine The d-isomer of amphetamine, dextroamphetamine is an effective treatment for ADHD. Peak plasma concentration is achieved in three hours; the elimination half-life is 10 to 13 hours. The drug is metabolized by the liver and renally excreted.:confused:

http://www.uspharmacist.com/index.asp?page=ce/2912/default.htm

VickiS
04-08-05, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE]The drug is metabolized by the liver and renally excreted.:confused:

Thank you! (I feel so unfaithful to my Doc)
What do you think is so special about our livers?
FYI I e-mailed Abrika hoping I could get a list of pharmacies that carry their product, .I will let you know if they respond

V

VickiS
04-08-05, 12:52 PM
Wow a response from Abrika in less than 24 hours!
I'm hoping she is just referring to my location? To have Walgreens as your only account??? That is a lot of eggs in one basket!

Unfortunately, Walgreens was the only pharmacy we were supplying. We are
working on other opportunities and hope to have a new customer by June
2005. I will keep your name on file and contact you when the product is
available.

Teri Brescia
13800 NW 2nd Street
Suite 190
Sunrise, FL 33326
(866)4-ABRIKA (227452)
tbrescia@abrika.com

pineyknot
04-09-05, 02:04 AM
Thanks VickiS! I emailed her my opening query that started this thread. At least she'll know there are no Walgreens in my area that have Abrika.

KnittingJunkie
04-11-05, 04:41 PM
Crap...there's not a good generic of this stuff? My doc wasn't sure. MFer. Bugged him today, dropped into his office 'cause I'm sick of my weird crap and wanted to try Adderall, but...no generic=no Adderall for my broke @ss! :( Chrys

VickiS
04-11-05, 05:08 PM
According to my Doc, 85% can't tell the difference. Me and my buddy Piney must have a "sensitive" side. I'd see what your doctor thinks...

marajade
04-13-05, 06:42 PM
the abrika brand never gave me side effects. now, i've lowered my dose on my own, just so that i don't feel horrid every night. i've been getting muscle spasms, and weird things that i got on XR (my body just doesn't like processing XR for some reason) that i never ever got on abrika at the same dosage

i thought originally it was XR that was to blame, but I can tell that the barr version although not as frequently, still aggravates things. i never had blood pressure spikes with the abrika brand either.... every once in a while, whenever it feels like it no matter how high or low a dose i take, with Barr's generic i'll jump from my nromal 124/75-80 to like 137-140/85, etc. i can FEEL my blood running through my body.

now, i'll admit... heres what could have caused the problem itself......

this could all have been caused by a very high dose level, but i've since then lowered back to 60, and so far i have only taken 20mgs today at 7am (and still going, side effects were there during the day but now they're gone) so i'm gojnna try splitting one of my 10's ant taking a 5 to see if i can boost up my concentration just a TAD but not enough so that it causes ANY side effects.

my doctor is awesome, but he's horrible at figuring out my dose, because at first the high dose (about 80-90mgs a day) was working great, but then shortly after i started experiencing side effects.

*edit*
I didn't actually start experiencing side effects until we replaced some of the doses with 1 adderall XR 30 in the morning, with a 5-10mg booster, then normal dosing around 4-5pm (3x10) .. i'd notice the symptoms starting severely at about 9pm or so, and i'd start getting really bad confusion, anxiety, delusional, etc. by that time though i only had barr available for the generics, so i never got to try adderall xr+abrika.. regardless no more xr for me, i couldn't stand it.

i'll report shortly after i take the 5mgs and see if i feel bad again. today i was feeling muscle cramps in my neck and back (i have really bad posture and for the past 2 days i've been forcing myself to sit up straight so it could be slowly helping too), and i've also had a very stiff neck. today, last night about 4 hours after taking about 15mgs, etc.

this is experimenting with Barr. I wish i had abrika, even though it's a little harder to split the abrika 10.

(what a concept, experimenting with stimulants but instead of making the dose greater i'm making it WAY lower) :)

lollerskates. ok i'm rambling.

-m

pineyknot
04-14-05, 02:14 AM
I think you put it very well "M" I didn't see rambling but irony;) Thanks for contributing.

Piney

vegansoprano
04-18-05, 02:33 AM
I have had the shortness of breath side effect - just exactly as you described. It seems to only be a problem when I go above 60 mg/day.

I blamed it on tight back muscles that weren't allowing me to breathe deeply, but maybe I was wrong.

badders
05-09-05, 04:35 PM
just want to chime into the discussion.

i searched and browsing a few threads of the similar discussion of Shire (ie. name-brand) vs. generic.

i started off with Shire Adderall when i was first diagnosed with ADD. it has positive effect on me. i took 6 months worth of Shire. today i went to Walgreens and the Pharmacy just happened to filled up with generic as i forgot to ask specificly for name-brand. i figured that out from the bill, with insurance, generic is US$5 vs. name-brand US$85 dollars.

i thought about asking them to re-fill it with name-brand coz i remember reading someone saying here in addforums that the name-brand works better, but i though, "why not try it for one month...."

anyway, i guess i was lucky that i went to Walgreens, the Abrika generic so far today have the same effect on me as the name-brand.

so far from ADDer's here, i have not read anybody who have bad experience with Abrika or Shire (name-brand), some do have negative side effects with Barr.

so i guess YMMV. but if one wants to try the cheaper generic, give Abrika a go, but that does mean you need to find a Walgreens.

i will post an update after i take the Abrika for a few more days.

KnittingJunkie
05-09-05, 05:01 PM
Rock on, I get all (well, most, because they don't sell the Mallinkrodt version of Dex) of my prescriptions @ Walgreens. If I end up getting on Adderall I'll check it.

Chrys

Moody Blonde
05-30-05, 04:59 PM
I have noticed the things mentioned in this thread too. Mainly, it's always a surprise with each dose. Will it work? Will it not? Who knows?! My usual dosage doesn't seem to be enough either, whereas, when I got the generic from a different pharmacy, that didn't happen.

I'll be glad when I get health insurance again and don't have to "shop around" for the cheapest generic Adderall!

erratica_1
06-06-05, 09:02 PM
I never thought about generics causing a problem. I took Ranbx's amphetamine salts for about two weeks. I also had that weird breathing thing, like I wanted to yawn but couldn't completely do it. Plus it gave me major headaches and increased my heart rate.

So now I'm taking Adderall XR. 20 mg makes me a total space head and I get this pain in my shoulder and generally feel like crap (but only if I spend the day alone. I don't notice the side effects at other times.) The higher doses help sometimes. I think I've officially tried every medication for my ADHD without success. This sucks.

On the bright side, I've bought a bunch of vitamins and minerals and am getting healthier :)

Chadwick
06-07-05, 02:11 AM
Maybe you only respond well, on balance, to low doses. Not well, obviously, but with fewer side effects and at least some small benefit. At that point however, it becomes an economic decision considering the cost of the medication. Is $30-$100/mo. really worth a 10% reduction in ADHD symptoms? Perhaps if you're in school, or money is no object. Still, it must beat a cup of coffee and its associated anxiety and jitteriness.

If you haven't already tried dextroamphetamine, I would suggest that you do since it is devoid of the potential side effects that levoamphetamine may entail (levoamphetamine being 25% of Adderall, and dextroamphetamine by definition containing no levoamphetamine).

erratica_1
06-07-05, 11:00 AM
Dexedrine was one of the first ones I tried, back when I was 19 and first diagnosed (I'm 30 now.) I forget what the response was, but it was either ineffective or had bad side effects, otherwise I would've kept taking it.

Stuff I've tried in my lifetime:
Ritalin (racing heart, jitteriness, insomnia with an intense urge to do research on the answer to the universe at 2 AM--my doctor won't give it to me again ;))
Dexedrine (don't remember)
Wellbutrin (dry mouth and I don't remember what else)
Wellbutrin XR (turned me into an irritable b****)
Concerta (must've been bad; still have half a bottle here)
Adderall (generic, Ranbx)
Adderall XR (piercing headaches,
Strattera (didn't help at all)

I think that's everything. Whew.:p Oh, and I take Zoloft for depression.

Obiwan
06-11-05, 01:14 PM
I take the Barr 20's. I guess they seem to work ok. I would be interested in taking a different generic to see if I could tell a difference, but my pharmacy only stocks Barr and Shire. I can't afford the Shire.

Chadwick
06-11-05, 02:38 PM
I take the Barr 20's. I guess they seem to work ok. I would be interested in taking a different generic to see if I could tell a difference, but my pharmacy only stocks Barr and Shire. I can't afford the Shire.
The less research you do, the better the generics seem to work. ;)

Moody Blonde
06-11-05, 04:14 PM
The less research you do, the better the generics seem to work. ;)
Good point! :rolleyes:

Obiwan
06-11-05, 09:51 PM
I'm with you Chadwick. Generics have always worked fine for me, not only with Adderall, but with most. I think it's a wise suggestion for me to avoid doubt and stick with what I have.

Rhonda Radio
06-11-05, 10:44 PM
Anybody know anything about the program through the company that makes Adderall XR.....in which they provide it free to those who are approved through their doctors...the ones without medicine insurance....it's around $115 to $120 for only 30....

I'm suppose to be approved for that program but have never heard of it before.....Hmmmm

Please fill me in if you can!

Chadwick
06-12-05, 03:13 PM
I can't help you with that, I suggest you call Shire directly unless somebody else here chimes in.

Somewhat related, you might qualify for Together RX Access, a brand-name prescription drug discount card recently released by a consortium of pharmaceutical companies interested in keeping Americans from pushing to allow importation of drugs from Canada and overseas. It's only available for those making below a certain income level.

Read about it and apply for it here:

http://www.togetherrxaccess.com/

MillenniumMan
06-12-05, 06:10 PM
I think I found this message board a little to late...
I should have switched from Adderall XR back to the generic...

wolfie860
06-24-05, 12:10 PM
I'm switching from Adderral 30 mg XR to the generic 10 mg mas due to my work schedule; sometimes going in at 2PM and not back until 8:30 AM the next day. My previous Dr would only prescribe the XR because of it'e addictive potential. I was having to take 2 pills to get through the shift and would have gone through them too quicklt since he'd only write for 30/month. Since then I've switched to a more reputable Doc who understood my dillema.
Here's my question to you all: Literally every pharmacy in the area only carries the Barr brand and from what I've been reading on the boards people find them less effective. I thought I had read the the Malinkrodt variety was the superior generic. I hope I didn't get confused that had been what people were saying about generic dexedrine. I've been doing so much research it's mind boggling! Found one small pharmacy that would order the Malinkodts. I hope I didn't make a mistake!! If any of you have had experience with this brand vs Abrika and one that starts with a R please let me know.
Thanks,
Wolfie

VickiS
06-24-05, 01:03 PM
I have not tried Mallinkrodt, The Abrika was great, worked as well as the triple the price name brand Shire, and I just can't find it anymore. Barr was nasty; strong, intense and "mind numbing" and then gone in a flash.
Remember most people are not that sensitive, My Doc says it is the way my liver processes it, I'd try all your cheaper options first. (Generics)
Get your doctor to write a prescription for a few days worth so you are not stuck.

VickiS
06-24-05, 01:05 PM
One more thing, see if you can get your Doc to prescribe 20mg and cut them in half.
WAY cheaper and no problems (so I am told) with the immediate release!!

Gregster
06-24-05, 07:44 PM
"wolfie" - glad you found a doctor that doesn't question your motives - your previous doctor was just what you don't need - more distrust "I'll give you these pills, but only so many because I don't trust you not to abuse them, sell them, snort them or, whatever". Thank you Dr Compassion!
As far as generics go, I have never noticed any difference myself. They have to pass the same scrutiny, prove efficacy and manufacture with the same standards of quality control that "name brands" do. I have never seen any evidence - aside from anicdotal "brand X sucks" kind of thing - that there is any real difference. I'm sure for some, the minor differences in fillers and pressing, etc. will make a noticable difference, but for most people there is no difference. I would try whatever is the cheapest and easiest to get generic, and if there is a problem, then you might want to take the extra effort to find a particular brand of generic.
I WISH I could get a generic brand of dexedrine - but there is not one available in Ontario. I'd rather spend my money on other things.

wolfie860
06-27-05, 12:49 AM
First off I want to thank you both for your input!
This posting is a bit long so bear with me...
What a difference from these are from the XR's. I did end up going with the Malinkrodt brand I do agree with you Greg they all have to meet the same FDA standards. So call me a generic snob<g>. Anyway Here are a few reasons why I find the IR's better for me:
- 30 minutes after taking my AM dose I feel them kick in (e.g. less groggy, more motivated and an elevation in my mood..they are supposed to help depression). I never really new when the XR's kicked in, I just figured when I got jittery that was when the 1st half of the dose was in force. I defintely could tell when they wore off.. as I became increasingly tired.
-I know the IR's will be effective for approx. 4 hrs, so I can take them to fit around my crazy work schedule.
-I've heard postings where people mention "smooth endings" these wore off without any s/e's.

The down side: My insurance co. would'nt allow the pharmacy to dispence the quantity of 10 mg pills that my DR wrote for( totalling 60mg/day).
Next time Vickie I'll take your advise and ask the dr to write for the 20mg. Now I have to go back to DR sooner than had planned for another RX(they'll only accept a written one).
On the directions sheet for the pills it said something unsettling: "may cause a false sense of well being". Does that translate to delusional, manic or what? Well aware of their potential for abuse, just have never seen that king of precaution. Must be why Canada never made the IR's available?
Well I do feel great, and I have my DR and this drug to thank.. even if it is a false sense...I'd still take that any day over being amotivated and depressed!
Wolfie

MillenniumMan
06-27-05, 01:23 PM
I think they should stop manufacturing XR it is highly dangerous
I mean highly addicting.
Instead just keep the generic availiable.

wolfie860
06-28-05, 01:53 AM
First off I want to thank you all for having a board like this and for your input! This posting is a bit long so bear with me...

What a difference these IR's are from the XR's. I did end up going with the Malinkrodt brand after many calls to pharmacies in the are only one was willing to order them everine else sold Barrs or Rayb(sp?)
I do agree with you Greg they all have to meet the same FDA standards. So call me a phamacological snob<g>:) Anyway here are a few reasons why I find these are better:
- 30 minutes after taking my AM dose I feel them kick in (e.g. less groggy, more motivated and an elevation in my mood..they are supposed to help depression). I never really new when the XR's kicked in, I just figured when I got jittery.. that was when the 1st half of the dose was working. I defintely could tell when they wore off.. as I became increasingly tired.
-I know the IR's will be effective for approx. 4 hrs, so I can take them to fit around my crazy work schedule.
-I've heard postings where people mention "smooth endings" these wore off without any s/e's.

The down side: Insurance co. would'nt allow the pharmacy to dispence the quantity of 10 mg pills that my doc prescibed( to total 60mg/day).
Next time Vickie I'll take your advise and ask him to write for the 20mg. Pharmacy requires a written script, so I have to go see my doc sooner then I had planned on.
I was a bit trouble by the third warning on the med information sheet ir read "may cause a false sense of well being". What does this mean? Euphoria, delusional, manic or what? I'm well aware of their potential for abuse, just have never seen that kind of warning. Must be why Canada never made the IR's available?
Well so far I do feel great, even if it is a false sense<g> ...I'd still take that anytime over being amotivated and depressed!
Wolfie ["You only get walked on.. when you lie down"]
</g>

wolfie860
06-28-05, 02:00 AM
I didn't know that when I revised my first post that it wouldn't replace the first. They are both saying the same thing but the most recent one has fewer gramatical errors. And to think I am the son of an ex English teacher?

badders
06-28-05, 03:56 PM
just want to chime into the discussion.

i searched and browsing a few threads of the similar discussion of Shire (ie. name-brand) vs. generic.

i started off with Shire Adderall when i was first diagnosed with ADD. it has positive effect on me. i took 6 months worth of Shire. today i went to Walgreens and the Pharmacy just happened to filled up with generic as i forgot to ask specificly for name-brand. i figured that out from the bill, with insurance, generic is US$5 vs. name-brand US$85 dollars.

i thought about asking them to re-fill it with name-brand coz i remember reading someone saying here in addforums that the name-brand works better, but i though, "why not try it for one month...."

anyway, i guess i was lucky that i went to Walgreens, the Abrika generic so far today have the same effect on me as the name-brand.

so far from ADDer's here, i have not read anybody who have bad experience with Abrika or Shire (name-brand), some do have negative side effects with Barr.

so i guess YMMV. but if one wants to try the cheaper generic, give Abrika a go, but that does mean you need to find a Walgreens.

i will post an update after i take the Abrika for a few more days.
ok. after a month and a bit on the Abrika generic, i can confirm that the Abrika and the Shire namebrand Adderall are very similar. in fact i think the Abrika has a tiny bit more strength than the Shire while the Shire is a bit more smooth.

those are my personal experience, YMMV.

my doc has since switched me over to Adderall XR though, and Walgreens told me that there is no generic version.