View Full Version : Place & time

Timberline
06-05-14, 02:11 PM
My whole life I have had a hard time being at the right place at the right time.

When I was growing up, I lived on the border between Eastern & Central time. My school & church were on Central time. Because the city where my dad worked was on Eastern, our family clocks were set to Eastern time. There was always confusion about when an event would start.

But that trouble has followed me into adulthood. I have spaced out and MISSED appointments totally, (including fun ones like bday parties & haircuts), and I have gone to appointments on the wrong day. I am forever feeling unsure of place/time. I HATE to be late, and most of the time I do OK, but it is not without a lot of effort.

I doubt myself all the time, because my memory is so poor. Very frustrating, and it sucks to have so little confidence in myself.

T-Line

dvdnvwls
06-05-14, 02:18 PM
This is pretty much universal for ADHD; the exceptions are the people who have learned how to get around it. (Their memory and sense of time are still the same - they just have learned some good tricks.)

One of the big things in my opinion is stop trusting your memory for anything. Write down all your appointments - never try to remember, even the simplest things. You need a way of keeping them - a book, an electronic device, a wall calendar, whatever works for you. Whatever method you choose, the key is to force yourself to use it! - even when you feel you don't need to. "Oh, this one I'll remember, I don't need to write it down" - famous ADHD last words. :)

Timberline
06-05-14, 02:33 PM
This is pretty much universal for ADHD; the exceptions are the people who have learned how to get around it. (Their memory and sense of time are still the same - they just have learned some good tricks.)

One of the big things in my opinion is stop trusting your memory for anything. Write down all your appointments - never try to remember, even the simplest things. You need a way of keeping them - a book, an electronic device, a wall calendar, whatever works for you. Whatever method you choose, the key is to force yourself to use it! - even when you feel you don't need to. "Oh, this one I'll remember, I don't need to write it down" - famous ADHD last words. :)

Thanks, DVDnVWLS. I use my phone for almost everything. Thank God for timers!

My sense of time is soooo elastic! Sometimes a few minutes can feel like hours, and an hour can feel like 5 minutes! It is scary sometimes!!

Do meds help with sense of time, memory?

Thanks again!
T-Line

dvdnvwls
06-05-14, 02:48 PM
Do meds help with sense of time, memory?

Forget about memory. ;)

Seriously, don't try to improve your memory by any method. Stop looking for memory improvement. Instead, find ways to never need it.

Meds help with awareness and focus, which by accident also helps with sense of time. (Well, that's my personal opinion of how it works on me anyway. You may be different.)

stef
06-05-14, 04:06 PM
i always wondred what happened if you lived near a time zone border...
i get very mixed up with what time it is in other countries ( which i need to know for work, plus 7 hrs difference with central time in the states). i dont forget appointments but things get very vague sometimes...