View Full Version : Standardized Tests

Vandeluca
06-06-14, 06:09 AM
Good morning,

I have a question. I know all of our kids intelligence levels vary..but I was curious or had an observation. My child does really well in school academically. I am not saying this comes easy. She really tries. She is great at some things not so great at some. She gets resource help. I help her at home. I don't know how well she would do if I left her on her own. But once she knows it, she runs with it. So her report card shows great marks. My goal with her is not good marks but that she is learning.

I am not one to ever care about standard tests, but I just got one back from her, and it does not reflect her grades at all (much worse on the test). Last year she did ok on them.

Following directions, etc is not her forte..but I was just wondering if overall you guys see this in your kids at all>? I mean, it is a big difference...Thanks..

sighduck
06-06-14, 06:46 AM
Standardized tests definitely are far from a perfect measurement of the ability of learners, but to find a way to fairly measure performance without them is a damn near impossible task unfortunately

Vandeluca
06-06-14, 08:03 AM
Yes, I know for sure. And I did not literally mean 'intelligence' because I don't believe those tests measures it all anyway..it was just a quick way of trying to type my question to get the gist.

I was just wondering if many of the parents of the ADHD kids see this...or if it was just us...just curious more than anything...

zette93
06-06-14, 09:55 AM
No personal experience here (DS is only in 2nd grade), but there must be a reason that "extra time on tests" is one of the standard recommendations for ADHD. Barkley recommends a slightly different strategy, "time off the clock", where the child gets the same total number of minutes as the other kids, but is allowed to take breaks or "stop the clock" when his or her attention is wandering.

sighduck
06-06-14, 04:12 PM
I have actually experienced the opposite in most of my tests....

I finish exams in way less than the given time

Vandeluca
06-06-14, 06:42 PM
Funny that you said that:).. I came from a meeting today regarding the test. They definitely don't feel the test reflect her ability (though I personally don't discount her weaknesses and I would say she is an average student..maybe above average in maybe spelling).

The Resource Head had observations that during the testing period mine was fidgeting, sometimes distracted, etc but mainly that she breezed through the test. She's very fluent but comprehension is her weak point. So my point is..yes she certainly breezed by so quickly...too quickly.

tripleE
06-09-14, 09:24 AM
Same here. My DD (11) "breezes", or rushes, through tests and projects, in particular if they are large projects or tests - which I think standardized tests tend to be (at least here).

I think - I hope - that this year has taught her that finishing quickly is usually a red flag meaning double and triple check your work.

One common accommodation for ADHD is to have less questions on a test.

For the standardized test DD just completed I assumed that wasn't an option - so I suggested to DD and her teacher that she put a piece of paper over the questions on the test so that she could only see one question at a time.

We won't get the marks back for a while so I don't know if this actually helped, but DD did take the full time allotted to finish her test, while a friend of hers who also has ADHD was the first to finish in the class.

sighduck
06-10-14, 05:03 AM
I once finished a mid-year paper in my 2nd year at varsity using 1 of the 3 hours... could feel the people staring at when i walked out when we where allowed to at 1:30 hours into the paper

sarahsweets
06-10-14, 11:24 AM
I HATE standardized tests. They are geared to people who do well on standardized tests.