View Full Version : In my own world. PTSD

Daydreamin22
06-08-14, 01:20 PM
Hi guys.
Love y'all. I just found out I have PTSD, so if I'm in my own world a little that's why. I'm scared of seeing something that will stress me out. I'm in a safe bubble in my room. Also, any thing that I perceive or reminds me of abusive behavior gives me extra adrenalin so sometimes I go nuts. That's getting better. Several months ago I went crazy and weird a few times, that was during abuse. I'm not in that anymore.

I'm getting better. Defending myself I got pretty self absorbed. Which is natural. But I'm not that way and know when i acted weird. I used to get totally lost and out of sorts in my thoughts. That's all. Just explaining any weirdness. I'm sorry about it. I'm taking responsibility for it so fam and friends don't worry or get stressed.

Reading list of books and found sources galore. If anyone has a prob with anything pm me and I'll tell you what to look at and read. Would love to. No problem.

ginniebean
06-08-14, 01:52 PM
I have ptsd too. It takes way longer to recover from than I'd ever have thought. I am starting to feel better now tho.

Take your time, get good rest, that can't be overstated. Also there are some good therapies for ptsd that are supposed to be quite effective. Meaning you're not going for years, you get results.

McTavish knows about it more than I do, maybe send him a quick message.

Be good to yourself.

Fuzzy12
06-09-14, 07:35 AM
Thanks for sharing DD. :grouphug:

Are you getting any treatment for PTSD?

Daydreamin22
06-10-14, 04:14 AM
Thank you, Ginniebean. I have a great psychologist now. I'll ask Mactivish and will do the exercises. I really appreciate your sharing that, Ginniebean.
Fuzzy, thanks so much. My psychologist specializes in PTSD, thank goodness!

Fuzzy12
06-10-14, 05:51 AM
Seems like you are in good hands. I really hope things get better for you soon. You've suffered enough. :grouphug:

MADD As A Hatte
06-10-14, 05:54 AM
PTSD. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I'm up on this, also, in terms of being well informed and up to date with current research. I have also, now, at age 52, ten years later after I last tried "counselling", and as a result of self-sabotaging my current university success, I have put myself back into clinical therapy.

Wow. What a difference ten years can make. Clinical treatments have moved on. I'm a thinking woman, so I was highly skeptical. But I can say, honestly, from current experience as a patient / client ... there are a couple of incredibly effective therapies on the table now.

These newer therapies are NOT focused on you speaking out loud / verbally repeating your traumatic experience/s.

They do not require you to relive the experience.

The premise is that cognitively consciously re-enacting the trauma experience only serves to reinforce it.

I am old school psychology. I thought these new methods were stupid. But from personal experience I can say ... they work well, the effect lingers, and you can assimilate the strategies into your broader daily life.

Anyone at all ... please feel free to send me a private message if you'd like a few leads.

Daydreamin22
06-10-14, 07:41 PM
MADD HATTE, thank you!!! I will. I really appreciate this so much.

You all are the best! I am stronger because of this place. For me and others. Just like you all!

Daydreamin22
06-11-14, 08:09 PM
I just took a few effortless steps... Getting a message (to connect to the inner me(even though I talked to the girl about abusive bosses)), going up early from a wedding reception( that I did not want to go to, but went anyway bc my mom bought me a long dress(I loove my mama) and I went into bed early in the luxurious resort hotel where the wedding was. It felt GREAT! Something about being out of town... Not to mention a beautiful room and comfortable bed.) I feel better... It's getting easier to get out of bed. I wouldn't have gone to this girls wedding cocktail a month ago if my brother hadn't called me sobbing about it.
But... I feel better. Also, getting a chance to talk to the director again now that I've gained perspective, having a therapist, activating my debit are, went walking for the first time in a year, go outside when it's sunny and sit in the back yard in my pjs to get a tan.

All of this and for a long time I did nothing but walk from bed to the cereal cabinet. I'd eat the same thing every day.

But now these good things are in my life. (Like a good hotel, anxiety music, free e-books that free my mind because it gives me the inside scoop on exactly what my boss was doing and what she was doing and why and what it was supposed to do which some of the time worked but sometimes I was strong and it made her even more mad. I can see how strong I was when I read about the textbook moves a bully boss makes... But I can also see how it ruined lives. Well she didn't ruin my life. I'm getting stronger! We all thought she had for a while, I think.

Daydreamin22
06-11-14, 08:14 PM
I don't like being so self centered. But I do love my family, friend, this forum... A lot. <3

Edit: idk if I'm self centered, actually. I always think of my niece and nephew. Everything is limited. I can't handle stress... Even looking at the people who wished me birthday on Facebook... Or even getting on Facebook bc I don't want to see messages. This is all getting better, though.

mctavish23
06-11-14, 10:38 PM
Has had several bouts of PTSD.

tc

Robert

fracturedstory
06-12-14, 02:16 AM
When I first developed PTSD I didn't even conceive for a minute that I was being self-centered. I was just so paranoid. I was just locked in my room and I feared for other people going out at night. I wanted to protect my nephews from all the bad people in the world.

That was two years ago and I'm not that intense anymore, but it did come back, and again and again. Lately, it's been at a moderate level.

You get less materialistic too. No longer care about your interests. I think I started to be able to break under the kind of stress I could just ignore.

Man, it's been a crazy couple of years. I'm finally getting treatment for it though. Hope you get some good treatment too. I think two years was too long to go without treatment. At times it went away on its own, but underneath the fear was still there.

Daydreamin22
06-12-14, 09:35 PM
When I first developed PTSD I didn't even conceive for a minute that I was being self-centered. I was just so paranoid. I was just locked in my room and I feared for other people going out at night. I wanted to protect my nephews from all the bad people in the world.

That was two years ago and I'm not that intense anymore, but it did come back, and again and again. Lately, it's been at a moderate level.

You get less materialistic too. No longer care about your interests. I think I started to be able to break under the kind of stress I could just ignore.

Man, it's been a crazy couple of years. I'm finally getting treatment for it though. Hope you get some good treatment too. I think two years was too long to go without treatment. At times it went away on its own, but underneath the fear was still there.
Fractured, exactly! At the I middle of this is making sure my nephew's inner child is unharmed. He's four. I'm scared of it!! I was so paranoid. I've been in bed for 8 months I think, so I'm a lot better than in the beginning. Wow I was such a messss. I also went through a bullying situation while having PTSD. I dissociated. I don't remember a day and a half and then some. I'm just now getting out of it. I'm getting help, too.

Daydreamin22
06-12-14, 09:43 PM
I'm reading a book called Daring Grately. Vulnerability is attractive.

Daydreamin22
06-12-14, 09:46 PM
Am I being euphoric/emotionally unstable?

I really appreciate the help.

Greyhound1
06-12-14, 10:41 PM
Am I being euphoric/emotionally unstable?

I really appreciate the help.

Hi Daydreamin,
Sorry to hear about PTSD. I think your reaction to your diagnosis is normal. Just be careful and don't give it any more power. PTSD gains power and control when you overly worry about it and the traumatic events. Time and good thoughts will do wonders.

I know how difficult that is to deal with.
I have battled with it since August 23 1998. What happened still bothers me
but it hurts just a little less each day.

I hope you find peace

Daydreamin22
08-19-15, 09:37 AM
Hi Daydreamin,
Sorry to hear about PTSD. I think your reaction to your diagnosis is normal. Just be careful and don't give it any more power. PTSD gains power and control when you overly worry about it and the traumatic events. Time and good thoughts will do wonders.

I know how difficult that is to deal with.
I have battled with it since August 23 1998. What happened still bothers me
but it hurts just a little less each day.

I hope you find peace

just reading this. Thank you :) What happened on that day? Im glad you are ok. <3 Great advice.