View Full Version : Aropax (Paxil/Paroxetine) for anxiety

fracturedstory
06-10-14, 11:37 PM
First thing: it's strange there's no information booklet with the medication. I don't really want to look it up online because someone's probably written some negative review on it, and I had minimal side effects on Aropax in the past.

I took it for depression (rather PMDD - I just realised I'm just about to have my PMDD treated once again) but this time it was prescribed for anxiety. It supposed to take care of both.

I'm a bit worried because I still don't know if I have a mood disorder. I just needed medication badly, for my fear of safety, my generalized anxiety, my social phobia and just my obsessions. I'm a little sad to see my intense interests go though, but I'll no longer have that profound fear of change that I usually do. Or need to have routines. That is, if it's going to work in the same way.

I'm almost feeling a placebo effect from the expectation to start it tomorrow. Or I could just be tired.

My concerns are about having my ADHD get so much worse, losing that intense motivation from mania or having the opposite happen - the mania getting worse.

So, anyone on it? I was once on it back in 2009 but hardly have any memory of what I was like. I can only recall one moment where I wasn't anxious about crossing the road. This was way before my ADHD diagnosis too.

namazu
06-10-14, 11:43 PM
I'm assuming you're looking more for personal experiences, but here's the official prescription information sheet from the manufacturer (http://www.gsk.com.au/resources.ashx/prescriptionmedicinesproductschilddataproinfo/326/FileName/2337697F1E64BC04B38172967BB93F81/PI_Aropax.pdf).

(Don't read it if you don't want to be reminded of the side effects -- which are similar for other SSRIs.)

Yes, SSRIs can treat both anxiety and depression (and PMDD). Here's hoping it helps!

Greyhound1
06-10-14, 11:52 PM
Many Dr's will prescribe an SSRI for anxiety as the first attempt at treatment. I was told 80%-90% of anxiety is caused by depression. They feel that by treating the depression will treat the anxiety.

I was prescribed about every one for 12 years with no help. Anxiety got worse.

My anxiety didn't get better until diagnosis and treatment for ADHD.

fracturedstory
06-11-14, 12:53 AM
For me, I think it's the opposite. Some anxiety is followed by a deep depression. I have experienced anxiety within depression but my anxiety seems to be a separate condition to my mood disorder. If it's a mood disorder.

My anxiety got worse after ADHD medication. There's anxiety related to ADHD issues, but there's also GAD, PDA, OCD and PTSD symptoms in the mix.

fracturedstory
06-11-14, 01:09 AM
I'm assuming you're looking more for personal experiences, but here's the official prescription information sheet from the manufacturer (http://www.gsk.com.au/resources.ashx/prescriptionmedicinesproductschilddataproinfo/326/FileName/2337697F1E64BC04B38172967BB93F81/PI_Aropax.pdf).

(Don't read it if you don't want to be reminded of the side effects -- which are similar for other SSRIs.)

Yes, SSRIs can treat both anxiety and depression (and PMDD). Here's hoping it helps!

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read it later as I'm still tired. Think my brain doesn't know how to cope with the changes that are about to happen.

fracturedstory
06-12-14, 02:33 AM
Also, I find it kind of weird that my GP prescribes me the medication I mentioned I was once on. There are so many anti-anxiety and anti-depressants out there and he chooses the one I've already been on.

I don't mind taking Aropax again, but felt that was a bit weird.

fracturedstory
06-19-14, 12:02 AM
Started my 20mg dose today. The 10mg dose really didn't do much. It seemed to wear off about 5pm and I didn't want to take another dose, even though all the symptoms of depression/anxiety returned but I knew a second dose would hardly make a difference.

I feel good on this dose. I take it wish fish oil so I don't feel fatigued. I feel a bit tired now but I think it's because I made myself tired. I'm not so good at taking breaks like I was before. I could barely last 5-10 minutes doing barely anything back then too.

One of the more positive changes is I hardly care to be on Facebook.