View Full Version : Concerta Approved in Canada

Tara
08-09-03, 11:13 AM
Concerta (Methylphenidate) Once-Daily Treatment For Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Approved In Canada
TORONTO, ON -- July 28, 2003 -- Concerta(*) (methylphenidate hydrochloride) is a new once-daily treatment for Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) approved by Health Canada for children. Concerta (extended release methylphenidate) uses a unique delivery system that provides immediate and sustained release of medication over a 12-hour period, removing the need for mid-day and after-school doses.

"Concerta will help reduce a child's social embarrassment and minimize the stigma associated with ADHD by eliminating the need to take medication during the school day," says Dr. Atilla Turgay, Director, ADHD Clinic, Psychiatrist and Chief of Staff at Scarborough General Hospital in Toronto. "An ADHD medication that is designed to offer 12-hour symptom relief minimizes the wearing off that occurs with conventional medications and allows children to get through the day without experiencing difficult 'ups' and 'downs'."

Click here to read the rest of this article
http://www.newswire.ca/releases/July2003/28/c5647.html

QueensU_girl
12-06-05, 08:19 PM
Is anyone taking Concerta? Does it REALLY last 12 hours?

(I tried Adderall XR, and i found it lasted 7.5 hrs...then i needed to sleep.)
Emma

SnappyCloud
12-06-05, 08:23 PM
I used to take Concerta TWICE a day, now I take Adderall XR TWICE a day. I think I might be a fast metabolizer.

ranger2
12-08-05, 05:04 PM
Our daughter and one son is taking Concerta and we have found that it does last on them anyway for about 24 hours, our daughter now takes 54mg and one son takes 36mg.
daughter was on 108mg and the son in question was on 72mg twice daily.
they both say that now they are much better.
we both say they are much better also.

Humble1
03-28-06, 11:32 AM
I take 18Mg a day... and it wears off at around 4PM sometimes latter. But I weight 210 Pds...

Scattered
03-28-06, 12:52 PM
I take Concerta twice a day and my pharmacist told me his experience is that it generally lasts at an effective level for 6 to 8 hours. However, I have read a number of people on the boards here who actually get 10 to 12 hours -- just depends on how you metabolize the medication.

I'm glad Canada is offering it as an option -- it's a good medication in my opinion.

Scattered

CdnJulie
05-15-06, 08:08 AM
My son has been taking it for 2 months and is on 2 a day and it works well for the 12 hours but tapers off and on throughout the day.