View Full Version : Taking Ritalin but Completely Addicted to Caffeine,

SunnyDelight85
06-15-14, 08:28 PM
Hey all! Hoping to get some good responses. Mods, if I've posted this in the wrong spot, feel free to move. :)

So I am addicted to caffeine. I downloaded an iPhone app called Up Coffee a while back, it allows you to track your caffeine consumption. I wanted to see just how bad I was with it.

My average is over 500mg a day, and that's with being aware. I could easily go over.

I don't feel jittery...

I take 15mg IR Ritalin am, then dose 10 mg two more times. So 35mg total a day, but I could easily make my second dose 15mg as well.

I guess that concerns me. The first whole month I took Ritalin (back in December) I needed no caffeine whatsoever. I asked my doctor and he said that's typical.

So. Any insights? My doctor doesn't seem concerned about my coffee habit.

Carol
06-15-14, 09:58 PM
I take ritalin also, and with it a 200mg caffeine tablet. I take another tablet with my afternoon dose. I also drink several cups of coffee a day. When I run out of ritalin, I drink more coffee. It doesn't make me jittery either.

Research is mixed to negative on the therapeutic effect of caffeine on ADD, but anecdotally, people report that it potentiates ritalin.

That other common stimulant, nicotine, has had more promising research results. Nicotine is taken as a patch, gum, or lozenge (no smoking). I've tried all forms and settled on the lozenge. It seems to help, but not dramatically. Some people report dramatic results.

sarahsweets
06-16-14, 05:03 AM
I do not have an issue with caffeine but many people do.

sublime74
06-16-14, 02:24 PM
Even a little bit of caffeine messes me right up. Blood pressure goes all crazy. And I drank a lot of coffee before starting treatment.

The switch to decaf wasn't too bad ... the ritalin seemed to make up for the caffeine. And now that I only drink decaf, I only have one a day ... if that.

Everyone handles it differently :)

Cheers,
Greg

HADDaball
06-16-14, 04:54 PM
Some people can handle it, some can't. I feel I don't need it.

DichotOhMy
06-25-14, 12:56 PM
I used to self-medicate with a good amount of caffeine - 250-400mg/daily depending on if I topped the strong coffee up with an energy drink - and kept it up the first few months of taking ritalin. The ritalin and caffeine, in combo, was great for focus and mood, with some euphoria, but quickly led to me getting burnt out. The combo also negatively effected my sleep architecture in a way that neither substance alone does, which led to a significant decrease in the efficacy of the medication.

While caffeine/ritalin doesn't touch my heart rate, it also caused my blood-pressure to go to pre-hypertension levels. I have since kicked caffeine entirely and now use high-nicotine tobacco (Swedish snus and strong 1x/daily strong cigarette) to augment the ritalin to much better clincial effect.

Kicking caffeine is tough, in my case it was 2 months of pervasive fatigue post-acute-withdrawal, but it may be worth it for a variety of reasons.

Stevuke79
06-25-14, 01:50 PM
Scientifically speaking, Ritalin and Caffeine do not interact with each other because they influence separate chemical pathways. There can be health concerns on a case by case basis if there are for instance other medical issues to consider, and your doctor would address this with you. (ie. unrelated heart problems)

So it's safe to take them together, that being said they have overlapping side effects and some people find they need to cut back on caffeine when they are on Ritalin or at least when they first start the medication. Assuming your doctor hasn't advised you otherwise, you can see how Caffeine effects you while on Ritalin. Personally I have about 200 - 400 mg of caffeine a day and 40-80mg of adderall a day, and experience no ill effects when taking them or withdrawal when stopping either of them.