View Full Version : Learning Outside the Lines

Addesso
06-17-14, 04:28 AM
This is a book that I wish was published when I first started college in 1994. (In Fall 2014, I'll be going into my last semester to finish three classes and get my bachelor's. I think I have around eighteen semesters of completed classes, and three semesters of dropped ones.) The authors--Jonathan Mooney and David Cole--had LDs and ADHD respectively, and both graduated with honors at Brown University.

The book is both a how-to guide to how to succeed in academia, as well as a critique on the educational institution, especially how it's not set up to favor success. They go through the basics about how to take notes, how to "PhD skim", how to participate in discussions, how to write, how to take exams--techniques that seem extremely simple, but I can't ever recall any of my pre-college classes or teachers every going about how to do this stuff well. And as time is always an issue, they really do go about how to do this sort of stuff efficiently. And of course, many of these tips do carry over into the working world.

It's an extremely good read and I recommend it to anyone--young and old alike--who is entering or returning to academia and anxious about success.

namazu
06-17-14, 12:40 PM
I remember liking this book, too, though I can't remember most of the specific tips.

One thing that did stick out for me, and which also helped me get through college, was support, whether it's family, friends, other students, a counselor, or a support group. (And if, like the authors of the book, you don't immediately find what you're looking for, seek it out through organized groups, the health center or disabilities office, or create it yourself.)

Adduce
06-30-14, 11:57 AM
This book is on my shelf alongside all my other 'how to study' books and had some interesting tips.

This is a video on youtube by one of the authors if not seen already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtMJpadg-E