View Full Version : Sleep Procrastination

GRbiker
06-17-14, 01:36 PM
<a href="http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2014/06/killing-sleepy-time.html">Here</a> is and article from the New Yorker about "sleep procrastination"

Gotta go to my therapist appointment, so talk amongst yourselves.

SirSchmidt
06-17-14, 03:26 PM
I used to have this problem when I was younger. Nowadays I get tired "early" and rarely stay up past 11 or 12.

I have really bad sleep procrastination on the opposite end, waking up. I am usually groggy and can't think clearly. I'll close my eyes and think to myself "just a few more minutes of rest". Next thing I know I've overslept and am rushing to work.

I am now taking steps to remedy this like multiple alarms, alarms on the other side of the bedroom, etc. It seems to be working.

GRbiker
06-17-14, 07:46 PM
Waking up is hard to do. I'm groggy, very relaxed, and resistant to leaving the dream state behind. It can take an hour or more before I am really awake.

I was a longtime sleep procrastinator. After 10 pm was the golden time for me; it's quiet, there are no "things that have to be done", I could spend time on the things that I wanted to do that I just couldn't get to during the day or just sit and think quietly. Maybe go for a walk. Unstructured time.

That all got pretty messed up a few years ago, as I was trying to finish my BA, work was getting more stressful, and we had kid. At first my ability to get by on 4-6 hours of sleep seemed like a benefit, I could stay up and do school work, household chores, walk around with the baby when he would wake up in the middle of the night.

Eventually it started to wear on me, I started drinking coffee to wake up, my performance began to slip, my focus, never great to begin with, went out the window. Worst of all, my moods began to suffer, as frustration and anger became difficult to contain.

After I injured myself at work being rushed and inattentive, I finally took the time to see a therapist, who helped with anxiety and sleep issues, and diagnosed ADD. I have been working at sleep regulation for a couple of years now. I'm glad that I have been able to have more regular sleep patterns, and for the last year or so have even been able to sleep straight through six or more hours per night. Often I sleep 8. I still miss those quiet nights, and lately I have been taking a day once a week or so to stay up a little past "bedtime" but I am careful not to go more than an hour or so.

OhLookABunny
06-25-14, 12:45 PM
Sleep procrastination - I haz it. :p

Once, years ago, I was talking to my then-counselor about why I snacked at night - I had come to the realization that it wasn't always about the food. It was that if I kept eating, I would stay awake long enough to finish another chapter in a book or whatever else it was that I wanted to do. :giggle: Reading is the last "winding down" thing so it was probably that.

I don't like to have such a difficult time getting up in the morning - it doesn't feel good, I'm prone to morning nightmares, lots of reasons. I was setting my cell phone alarm for 6:00 a.m. a few days ago when the nightmares had started up again, to try and wake before I could have one.

Alarm clocks - now that's an interesting topic. I have PTSD and a strong startle response, as in "Where's the defibrillator?" I can't stand a buzzing or beeping or even radio station all of a sudden. For years I relied on a cassette player clock radio with new age or classical music. That thing lasted for probably two decades - the tape player part just broke a couple of months ago. But I love my new cellphone - the alarm tone I picked is kind of a soft "ding-dong" with bird chirping sounds - at just the right volume.

Stevuke79
06-25-14, 02:41 PM
Ironically, for those with ADHD Adderall can help them fall asleep. It supports the concept that you need to have sufficient mental energy to quiet your mind.