View Full Version : Aspergers + ADHD having anxiety

Tmoney
06-17-14, 03:42 PM
My friend has a 10 year old boy who is diagnosed Asperger's, AD(H)D with sensory problems.
Just started summer camp and when mom tries to drop him off in the am, he has a complete melt down.
She has missed her second day of work and is looking for some ideas that may help with the drop off transition.

He was going to school and being dropped off with no issues prior to this.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas!

fracturedstory
06-18-14, 02:05 AM
Well, his routine has been completely changed. Has he been mentally prepared for the change at all?

There could be other reasons but I'd first focus on getting him used to the new routine.

Flia
06-18-14, 03:33 AM
Tell him before what's going to happen. Let a camp-leader greet him and explain routines and how things work.

Tmoney
06-18-14, 07:09 AM
Well, his routine has been completely changed. Has he been mentally prepared for the change at all?

There could be other reasons but I'd first focus on getting him used to the new routine.

The mom met with the staff and they are going to sit with him and the mom when he first gets there and see if the staff can make him a little more comfortable before mom tries to leave.

I asked mom if she asked her son why he doesn't want to stay. He said that no one will like him and he has no friends. How sad is that! It breaks my heart that a child would feel that way, poor thing!

Thanks for the input!

Tmoney
06-18-14, 07:11 AM
Tell him before what's going to happen. Let a camp-leader greet him and explain routines and how things work.

That's exactly what they are going to do. A camp staff is going to meet with the boy and the mom and sit down and talk with the both of them and explain some of the routines.
I sugested maybe bringing another child over to be a comfort buddy and help to make him feel a little more comfortable before mom tries to leave!

Thank you for your input!

fracturedstory
06-18-14, 11:57 PM
The mom met with the staff and they are going to sit with him and the mom when he first gets there and see if the staff can make him a little more comfortable before mom tries to leave.

I asked mom if she asked her son why he doesn't want to stay. He said that no one will like him and he has no friends. How sad is that! It breaks my heart that a child would feel that way, poor thing!

Thanks for the input!
That's how we feel sometimes. We don't easily connect to people. We don't know what their stares mean or what they could possibly be thinking. And we're too unsure about going up to say hi.

The buddy sounds like a good idea. Sometimes it's a bit embarrassing but looking back I think we need at least one person being our friend to encourage us to meet more people.

I also think it's important to get him comfortable to the environment. I'd prefer to be told important information like routine changes at home with very little sensory distractions.