View Full Version : So the consensus is....

Babyd19
06-18-14, 09:43 AM
I feel like there are months where I have a 5-7 day span of my medication does not produce the usual response for me. Of course I panic and then after a few days things return to normal.
I am trying to track this and it seems that it around 2-2 1/2 weeks before my period begins.
So is the consensus that hormone level changes in the menstrual cycle contribute to this? It doesnt happen every month ( thank goodness ) but it worries me that it could progress to that.
Some background...Im 36 ( almost 37) on no synthetic hormone therapies/BC. Up until 2-3 years ago, I never really felt I had terrible menstrual cycle/premenstrual symptoms. Now, I wonder what the next cycle will bring- irritability, worse OCD, decreased medication efficacy, sadness.....ugh.

Lunacie
06-18-14, 11:03 AM
That's exactly right for many women with ADHD. Plan ahead if possible, cut yourself some slack during those days, don't push yourself quite as hard then.

Sari Solden addresses this in her book "Women With Attention Deficit Disorder." She's followed up with more books, but I haven't read them.

sarahsweets
06-19-14, 04:38 AM
Right before and during my period its like my meds are useless.

datajunkie
06-19-14, 11:04 AM
You might be starting perimenopause. I wish I had had the opportunity to check my hormone levels in my mid 20's. I had virtually no PMS most of my adult life with or without BC. Had my tubes cut in mid 20's so not long on BC.

If you can test--blood testing is now showing to be better at reflecting levels important to symptoms than saliva for sex hormones, but if you can test now, test when you feel your best and during one of those times you feel bad. It might give you an idea of what levels and ratios are best for you.

Our hormones not only affect how our neurotransmitters work and so how our meds affect us, but they can affect the actual number and sensitivity of the receptors. I don't know how fast the sensitivity aspect can shift, might be fast, like a few hours, but I think the number of receptors would take shifts over some days or weeks. Probably more important during pregnancy, menarche, peri and post menopause as hormonal base line levels change. When I've had my bioidentical hormone prescriptions changed in the past 6 years with peri/post menopause each time, there has been a week or more where I feel a bit odd and then things settle down to a new 'better'.

From what I've been reading, low estrogen in particular for women makes AD/HD worse as NT's don't work as well. I suspect that I'd need higher doses of medication if I were not using bioidentical topical hormones. I would not use synthetics unless there was no other option and a significantly powerful reason. and also would not use oral. it turns out that the topical methods that do not pass through the liver do not change as many genes in breast tissue and such as the same bioidentical hormone taken orally. I tried an oral bioidentical estradiol as my insurance covered it but it gave me significant side effects that were unfun. The $50 a month it costs me for my estrogen and testosterone are well worth it for the compounded topical bioidenticals.

scrambled86
07-06-14, 04:33 PM
I also have problems a week or so before my period....if I happen to also be very tired then I can think that my world is about to end!

And then my period starts and I realise that the world is okay again...doh...

datajunkie
07-06-14, 06:13 PM
scrambled86, I don't know where I heard the term 'false moods' but it made a lot of sense to me. I needed that during perimenopause and some extreme stress that started a bit later.
A false mood is when we know that what we feel is out of proportion to the reality. When my mood swings got bad for the first time and I truly wanted to refashion my husband's head so that the extra big cast iron pan was a perfect fit, I did realize that his truly stupid male dickhead comment wasn't truly justifiable homicide. :) And something falling out of the refrigerator and landing on my foot was not a good reason to rip the door off. My mood was out of proportion to the event. I made a mental list of 1-10 with 10 being death, dismemberment, extreme pain, illness, war,flood, pestilence, earthquakes and such. And then put other lesser issues down the numbers. Anything really below 6.5 hasn't usually been a big enough reason to be that upset over. And on the other side, making a list of good stuff can be useful. Bipolars and other people can get in as much or more trouble through being elated over stuff that just doesn't merit it. YAY! I won a lotto ticket worth 100 bucks! I'm going to spend twice that right now! And when depressed, knowing that my world really is ok and nothing changed from yesterday so if I feel really bad, it's chemistry, not neurosis or a tragedy. Making your own lists might help you get some perspective when the world is out of whack.
Not having had PMS much to speak of, I was truly shocked when hormone swings hit plus the short term memory loss. I felt like my body was attacking itself. I doubt I'd have been more shocked if my hand tried to choke me.