View Full Version : Brintellix anyone?

KyleR86
06-18-14, 12:22 PM
My doctor prescribed Brintellix to treat depression/anxiety and adhd issues. I know this was recently approved for dep/anx and they have plans to test on adhd patients later this year because of "positive effects on cognition and memory retention.

Has anyone had experience with this drug?

425runner
06-18-14, 09:21 PM
No, I have not but would be curious to hear about your experience. It is expensive and my insurance won't pay for it unless I try all the others first.

KyleR86
06-19-14, 03:08 PM
Definitely. I started taking it yesterday and we are giving it a 30 day trial. I'll post about midway thru and then update after the 30 days.

I will say this tho, there is a high probability of nausea (23%) for the first few weeks, according to their study... and I am def a part of that 23% lol

Amtram
07-05-14, 11:15 AM
My depression has responded very well to Brintellix, and the only side effect I've noticed is a change/worsening of my tinnitus.

Optimist25
11-23-14, 09:04 PM
I have inattentive ADD and I took Brintellix for about 2 months but have since stopped because it did not work for me. I should note that depression was never my biggest issue, just something that pops up now and again when my inattentive ADD isn't being properly managed. My doc thought Brintellix might help though so we gave it a try.

It was wonderful for the first couple days. I woke up feeling completely rested, my executive functions were clearly improved (motivation, sustained energy, and clear head), and my mood was terrific. It wasn't stimulating or euphoric, just... "activating" as some say regarding antidepressants. It's almost like it cured my inattentive ADD and I even felt optimistic that I wasn't going to need to take Adderall anymore.

Unfortunately, the initial effects wore off and as the drug built up in my system I started to feel sedated, emotionally blunted, and intellectually slow. In other words, it felt like the effects of Brintellix completely reversed and it made my inattentive ADD much, much worse. This still occurred even when my dose was lowered.
Also, Brintellix seemed to completely block Adderall from working. I'd take my regular dose of Adderall and I would get no therapeutic benefit at all. I'd still experience the usual mild physical side effects of taking Adderall (slightly increased heart rate, dry mouth, etc.) but without any of the intended beneficial mental effects (focus, alertness, clarity, motivation, etc.).

Brintellix turned out to be the last thing I needed: an expensive, sedating, Adderall-blocking pill that increased my inattentive ADD symptoms. It felt like I had a lobotomy.

ellielep
12-14-14, 05:33 PM
How has the Brintellix worked for you?

I've been on it for a few months after trial and error with Lexapro, Zoloft, Pristiq, Abilify, Elavil, Klonopin, etc and I had no help (sometimes a worsening in my depression and anxiety), but I'm not seeing much of an effect.

I also have severe nausea from it, which is odd because I've never been sensitive to any medications. I have to take Zofran with every dose so I can keep it down.

It's very hard to find any reviews on Brintellix since it's fairly new and hard to get a prescription for. My doctor is trying to get it approved by my insurance since I've been on so many medications before, so I'm getting trial bottles from my doctor.