View Full Version : ADHD-PI=mentally but not physically hyperactive?

Jmm124567
06-18-14, 04:06 PM
I have ADHD-PI and feel mentally hyperactive but not physically hyperactive. Is this typical in ADHD-PI?

moth2flame
06-18-14, 05:27 PM
I don't know if it's typical, but I'm diagnosed PI and often feel the same way. Sometimes my body will feel half-dead, and at the same time my brain is running a thousand miles a minute. While I have some minor symptoms of physical hyperactivity (fidgeting, etc.) I have enough control over it to (usually) keep it in check when it would be considered rude, or I'm in mixed company, or whatnot. I seem to have much less control over the constant barrage of random thoughts, though.

Lunacie
06-18-14, 05:38 PM
What were you like as a child? Hyperactivity tends to become more mental when we're adults.

Daydreamin22
06-18-14, 05:54 PM
Yes it is. Also in anxiety, depression, bipolar. I definitely am to hyper at night mentally to fall asleep without medicine. I haven't tried hard, though. To calm my mind, meditation works for me. Richard Davidson is the meditation lead expert. It's crazy how it really calms your mind!

Greyhound1
06-18-14, 06:19 PM
I don't know if it's typical, but I'm diagnosed PI and often feel the same way. Sometimes my body will feel half-dead, and at the same time my brain is running a thousand miles a minute. While I have some minor symptoms of physical hyperactivity (fidgeting, etc.) I have enough control over it to (usually) keep it in check when it would be considered rude, or I'm in mixed company, or whatnot. I seem to have much less control over the constant barrage of random thoughts, though.

Mind racing is my biggest issue caused by ADHD. It can be totally debilitating for me physically when anxiety is involved. I will suffer severe fatigue and spaced out brain fog. Brain gets going so fast, I have no idea what I am even thinking about. Wears me out though.

Medication, mindfulness and exercise have really helped. Anything to cut down on anxiety seems to help.

Good luck

Jmm124567
06-18-14, 06:56 PM
What were you like as a child? Hyperactivity tends to become more mental when we're adults.

I was diagnosed ADHD-PI when I was five or six. I have most of the impulsive symptoms but they usually only show up when I'm excited.

Addesso
06-18-14, 07:03 PM
Sleeping habits are strange for me. If I wake up naturally without an alarm, I'm fine, but times aren't not consistent being anywhere from 7am to 1pm (tho it is dependent on when I got to sleep which varies greatly too, my time asleep can vary from 5-9 hours). But if I get up with an alarm, even if I go for 7-9 hours of sleep, I'll typically get up fatigued and spaced out. It may stick around for the whole day. My mind tho is doing its usual thing; thinking of whatever. Just makes it ESPECIALLY hard to get things done that day.

Currently I'm really big on the idea of sleep cycles and mine are almost 1.5 hours. I tend up to wake up naturally in those increments (it's odd, but I tend to wake up on the hour plus/minus five mins). The thought is that sometimes an alarm will wake you up right in the middle of a cycle and that really screws up the brain. So a lot of times when I do the alarm thing, I have to count backwards in 1.5 h blocks for a window to go to sleep. Or just go to bed so early I'll get up way before whatever appointment I have in the morning.

sarahsweets
06-19-14, 04:55 AM
As I have gotten older, the physical hyperactivity had gotten more mental.

sarek
06-19-14, 06:52 AM
I've been mental all my life. Hyperactivity-wise, that is.

The lack of hyperactivity is a reason why it is often harder to detect and dx adhd-pi.

fracturedstory
06-20-14, 02:20 AM
Sounds like me on anti-depressants. I'm naturally (post-stimulant use) both mentally and physically hyperactive but on anti-d's I lack a bit more motivation, though once I push myself can do whatever task I'm meant to do, but I could just sleep all day if I wanted to.

latestart
07-20-14, 09:12 AM
I can't speak to how typical it is to be mentally hyperactive but not physically hyperactive with ADHD-PI but for me that was how I was when younger (at least for as far back as I can recall). Looking at the notes in my school records from before I can recall memories from when I was a young kid there is no mention of symptoms of physical hyperactivity.

ABadder
07-30-14, 09:42 AM
Sleeping habits are strange for me. If I wake up naturally without an alarm, I'm fine, but times aren't not consistent being anywhere from 7am to 1pm (tho it is dependent on when I got to sleep which varies greatly too, my time asleep can vary from 5-9 hours). But if I get up with an alarm, even if I go for 7-9 hours of sleep, I'll typically get up fatigued and spaced out. It may stick around for the whole day. My mind tho is doing its usual thing; thinking of whatever. Just makes it ESPECIALLY hard to get things done that day.

Currently I'm really big on the idea of sleep cycles and mine are almost 1.5 hours. I tend up to wake up naturally in those increments (it's odd, but I tend to wake up on the hour plus/minus five mins). The thought is that sometimes an alarm will wake you up right in the middle of a cycle and that really screws up the brain. So a lot of times when I do the alarm thing, I have to count backwards in 1.5 h blocks for a window to go to sleep. Or just go to bed so early I'll get up way before whatever appointment I have in the morning.
I have the same issue with alarm clocks or not waking up naturally i.e. noise. If I am woken up by the alarm and I'm not "ready", I tend to feel groggy and not refreshed. I find that if I get up, have breakfast and go back to sleep for 10 - 15mins I wake up feeling much better. I don't always fall back asleep but I just turn off enough to sort me out.

Its can be tough to do on busy mornings but works for me on the train or pulling the seat back in the car before walking into the office.

Back to topic....I am mentally hyperactive, I don't remember being physically as a child but I wasn't diagnosed until towards the end of school.

aeon
07-30-14, 11:52 AM
I've never been physically hyperactive but my brain has been on turbo all my life.

I've got all the inattentive criteria, all the impulsive criteria, and none of the rest. ;)

mctavish23
07-30-14, 12:13 PM
Adult "hyperactivity" is operationally defined as "subjective inner restlessness."

What most people think of as "hyper," is the early childhood definition, which is out-

-grown to some extent.

Hope that helps.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)