View Full Version : Adult Picky Eaters - are you out there?

OhLookABunny
06-19-14, 06:24 PM
Hoping this is a good place to post this thread. I also considered under "Co-Existing Conditions: Sensory" and maybe that would be a good place or a better place. If so, I trust the mods' judgment to find it a good home somewhere! ;)

I am an adult picky eater - I used to frequent another message board just for that, but it no longer exists. ADD is one reason I'm picky, I suppose OCD has some to do with it - but I think the primary reason is heightened senses and sensitivity to tastes, smells, textures, appearances and any other qualities of foods. To put it plainly, ha ha, most complex tastes and textures are not pleasurable to me the way they are to "foodies" - they're repulsive, scary, disgusting, and to be avoided.

If you find yourself relating to the above, and would like to discuss it, hop aboard :grouphug: for venting, support, ideas - and please let's not judge, I probably don't need to say that here but on a dieting board when I tried to get support for this issue sometimes people got snarky. :eyebrow:

sarek
06-20-14, 03:32 AM
I am a very picky eater myself. It starts with a list of foods which I am supposed to be allergic to but even if most of these foods no longer provoke a reaction, I still shirk away from them. From that list only one dangerous allergy remains, and that is for bananas. They give me an instant severe allergic response.

And then there's the list of foods that I simply find repulsive for other reasons. Cheese is the most prominent among these, you can imagine how inconvenient that is. Brussels sprouts are another, but I doubt I am the only one. I don't much like many kinds of beans either. I drink my milk as cocoa or custard, I do not like it pure.

RobboW
06-20-14, 04:51 AM
I'm probably not what you would call "picky" compared, but I can't stand anything seafood, the smell alone is enough to make me puke. I also can't stand meats with obvious large fatty/gristly parts, so to me a big juicy steak is a turn off, by the same score, a sausage with hard lumps is also disgusting . Brussel sprouts would be a pretty universal dislike I reckon, lol.

stef
06-20-14, 05:07 AM
I'm probably not what you would call "picky" compared, but I can't stand anything seafood, the smell alone is enough to make me puke. I also can't stand meats with obvious large fatty/gristly parts, so to me a big juicy steak is a turn off, by the same score, a sausage with hard lumps is also disgusting . Brussel sprouts would be a pretty universal dislike I reckon, lol.

Same! although Brussel sprouts in some kind of sauce, are ok.
I'm not a picky eater either but if I have an aversion to something I just really, really cannot eat it....

I think the worst were "surprise" seafood things I've had here. Fried rings of squid, ARE NOT onion rings; and there are little clams in Paella...

OhLookABunny
06-20-14, 11:55 AM
As regards seafood, I definitely don't want any critter besides a fish - though in my younger years I thought lobster was great. Tasted it again more recently and thought, meh, this is kind of weird. Basically I don't want anything visually identifiable as what it originally was when alive (my Asian friend eats little octopus with tentacles and I say "Just don't make me watch!" :eek:).

I don't want anything potentially rubbery, dry, bony, or otherwise disgusting in texture.

Above all, I don't want "fishy tasting" fish. Give me cod, pollock, those nice white bland fish. No tuna, no salmon. And no brown fishy-tasting streaks in them either if you please. Fillets only, because in minced patties or sticks you get the brown streak stuff ground up in with the good white stuff.

To tie this in with ADD a little more - there's a lot of press being given to how Omega-3's are good for the brain, good for ADD. People who can stand it are taking fish oil capsules. But I can't stand the fishy burps. The burpless ones are usually way more expensive. One alternative I've found is flaxseed meal or granola/bread with flaxseeds. I tried flaxseed oil and experienced fishy burps with it as well, leading me to theorise that the Omega-3 is what gives that fishy taste. :p

Corina86
06-20-14, 02:53 PM
I don't think of myself as very picky. Just selective :).

I like fresh fruit, fresh or boiled vegetables (boiled: any sort of peas, broccoli or corn), grilled chicken or turkey breast, cheese (certain types, non salty), pasta with cheese or vegetables, potatoes, bread, nuts, rice, some fish (salmon, dorada, some sea food), peanut butter, milk- or while-chocolate, chocolate cake, fresh fruit juice, any sort of teas, Pepsi Twist Lemon - and that's it.

I dislike pretty much everything else. Especially other types of meat: pork, beef, chicken legs or anything made out of them. I especially hate sausages: the idea of leftover meat and fat wrapped in pigs' guts is unappealing to me.

I used to eat chicken schnitzel, french fries and breakfast cereals, but I eat too much of that in the past and now I have digestive issues, so I have to keep away from them.

But I was always considered picky because I live in a culture where the basis of the food is: meat-soup, meat, stuff made with meat, butter, fat milk and spinach. I was basically underfed my whole life, partially because the food I liked was unavailable- fresh fruit and vegetables were available only during specific seasons, since all agriculture was 100% natural (no green houses either); partially because I was forced to eat all the culturally specific crap. For example, at kindergarten, I couldn't have my apple, unless I finished my 2 course meal, first course always being soup (with meat, obviously), second always being meat and garnish. And I wasn't allowed salad either, unless it was after I eat the real food, which was...... wait for it......: pork sausages with french fries. And bread - bread was something everyone must eat at all meals. It was believed that bread was the only food that had the magical property of making you feel full. Everything else would be digested really really quickly and you'd be hungry in no time! Some people even eat pasta with bread; potatoes with bread are a must...

Some stuff were unheard of: peanut butter, breakfast cereals, pizza, skimmed milk, almond milk, avocado, mango, fresh pineapple, broccoli, asparagus, shrimps or any other sea food, Chinese food or any sort of non-European food - even now these are considered fancy, snobbish and for some reason not "real" food (except pizza, everyone loves pizza).

I'm so glad that era is over! I miss being a kid, but I don't miss the way things were "back in my days"!

Sorry for the off-topic!

OhLookABunny
06-20-14, 11:19 PM
Not off-topic at all, Corina86; I enjoyed reading your post! :) A friend of mine recently went to Hungary. I live in the US, in Kansas where lots of farming takes place but of course people over here are beginning to realize what a hole we've dug ourselves in with big-corporate farming and so now a lot of folks are trying to eat local and also healthy.

I do try to learn about nutrition and if I could get more of the vegetables I do feel okay about eating into my diet, it would help me a lot. And then just not worry about the others (except when confronted by them in awkward social settings :eyebrow: - then I feel anxious, all right!).

Over the years I've eaten less meat too. I used to be a regular customer of McDonald's and Burger King and places like that. (Plain hamburgers or cheeseburgers only, though - maybe a little barbecue sauce - ketchup, mustard, pickles and other traditional American hamburger condiments are barfogenic to me.) But then I've read about how nasty the ingredients in fast food can be (Google "pink slime" - eeewwww). And meat can feel too "heavy" on my stomach sometimes.

Antioxidants and things like that, I try to get as often as I can - I like fruits. Blueberries are cheap here so I got 3 pints and am going to freeze 2 of them. Fruit smoothies - and I need to print out some green smoothie recipes - those are a good way to get the green colored stuff into my picky self. :D

MarkAfterDark
06-24-14, 09:47 PM
As regards seafood, I definitely don't want any critter besides a fish - though in my younger years I thought lobster was great. Tasted it again more recently and thought, meh, this is kind of weird. Basically I don't want anything visually identifiable as what it originally was when alive (my Asian friend eats little octopus with tentacles and I say "Just don't make me watch!" :eek:).

I don't want anything potentially rubbery, dry, bony, or otherwise disgusting in texture.

Above all, I don't want "fishy tasting" fish. Give me cod, pollock, those nice white bland fish. No tuna, no salmon. And no brown fishy-tasting streaks in them either if you please. Fillets only, because in minced patties or sticks you get the brown streak stuff ground up in with the good white stuff.

To tie this in with ADD a little more - there's a lot of press being given to how Omega-3's are good for the brain, good for ADD. People who can stand it are taking fish oil capsules. But I can't stand the fishy burps. The burpless ones are usually way more expensive. One alternative I've found is flaxseed meal or granola/bread with flaxseeds. I tried flaxseed oil and experienced fishy burps with it as well, leading me to theorise that the Omega-3 is what gives that fishy taste. :p

I have been using a nutribullet for over a year now and I add flaxseed to every nutriblast I make. Just under two tablespoons of flaxseed. No fishy burp - EVER.

One problem is that the O3's are ALA and NOT EPA/DHA. I've been told to choose an O3 with a 3 to 1 EPA/DHA ratio. I haven't found more than 2:1 and I take that at night so I usually sleep through the fish burp.

Also, free-range chicken eggs tend to be high in O3's and may be a good alterative to fish if you don't care for the fish taste. I cannot stand sardines but I am fine with salmon.

OhLookABunny
06-25-14, 12:09 AM
I have been using a nutribullet for over a year now and I add flaxseed to every nutriblast I make. Just under two tablespoons of flaxseed. No fishy burp - EVER.

One problem is that the O3's are ALA and NOT EPA/DHA. I've been told to choose an O3 with a 3 to 1 EPA/DHA ratio. I haven't found more than 2:1 and I take that at night so I usually sleep through the fish burp.

Also, free-range chicken eggs tend to be high in O3's and may be a good alterative to fish if you don't care for the fish taste. I cannot stand sardines but I am fine with salmon.

:thankyou: I had read these things but forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder! Want to hear something funny - a friend gave me some fish oil capsules that she claimed were okay - inexpensive ones but she said they were fine. I had read that some people freeze them so they're way down the GI tract before they dissolve. So I put them in a bottle and stuck it in the freezer - but I'm still afraid to try them! :eek: I really have some food issues. :lol:

HADDaball
06-25-14, 06:28 AM
I'm picky... chocolate, ice cream, cake... chips...

seriously, I'm usually careful what I eat thru the week. Most processed foods are out.

There's nothing wrong with reading the ingredients or nutrition labels. I like to make informed choices.

OhLookABunny
06-25-14, 12:36 PM
I'm picky... chocolate, ice cream, cake... chips...

seriously, I'm usually careful what I eat thru the week. Most processed foods are out.

There's nothing wrong with reading the ingredients or nutrition labels. I like to make informed choices.

That's right! :) I have been a label-reader for years - and I know the tricks they try to pull, too. Such as "O grams Trans Fat per serving" - means there's still trans fat, if you look at the ingredients list you'll see "partially hydrogenated" something or other there.

Precisely because I've been a picky eater for so long, and subsisted on junky food for many years - and my diet now is far from perfect - I'm trying to figure out ways to work with my sensory issues re food and still get some semblance of decent nutrition.

daveddd
06-25-14, 02:40 PM

everything you wrote..... exactly

other than that, ill eat mostly anything

tried a new kind of turkey lunch meat, it was great, i bit into something chewy now i dry heave just thinking about it

very disappointing , i eat turkey almost everyday for lunch

hate steak, unless its a filet with no fat

daveddd
06-25-14, 02:42 PM
i like tunafish though, and i can handle breaded fish like at a fish fry

but other than that, i can't be around seafood

stef
06-25-14, 04:01 PM
i like tunafish though, and i can handle breaded fish like at a fish fry

but other than that, i can't be around seafood

yes, tuna, fried or battered filets with tartar sauce
and well mcdo filet of fish
otherwise, yikes...

MarkAfterDark
06-25-14, 10:10 PM
Check out WHfoods.org and read up on the world's healthiest foods. It's a non-profit organization which takes no corporate advertising. :)

whfoods has a daily email with recipe ideas and information and a weekly newsletter featuring a food of the week and a recipe to go with it. And every food listed includes health benefits, how to select and store, preparation tips and more.

I've been subscribed for over a year. When I find a recipe that grabs my attention, I try it out.

I'm sure that as you add more and more healthy foods into your diet, the more your tastes will evolve. That is exactly what I have found.

OhLookABunny
06-27-14, 12:33 PM
Another thing I have found is that in times of emotional stress or life transition, my pickiness increases - especially my desire to not try "challenging" foods and to retreat to my familiar comforting bland foods (my foodie friend teases me about my "beige" diet). It's as if I'm on overload already, and I have no desire to stress about food on top of everything else.

Yesterday I got really sick - IBS attack, which confirmed a growing suspicion that I can no longer handle one of my favorite snacks, popcorn. Recovering today, and as part of a larger plan to cope with this, I'm going to try small, simple meals and try to get my system back in balance. I'm also going to return to the gym I've been away from for way too long. For me, exercising sometimes helps me desire healthier foods, rather than trying to confront the food aversions head-on. So I guess I'll go with that for now.