View Full Version : How are your energy levels?

ADHDmommy715
06-20-14, 03:32 PM
How are your energy levels? Mine are all over the place! I eat well balanced meals (although I do eat dessert each night), I sleep eight hours each night, I exercise everyday, and I'm NOT on any ADHD meds. (I have a lot of coping techniques that have been working for me.) However, the only thing that does not seem to be working is a consistent energy level. For several weeks at a time I will feel great, even have excessive amounts of energy. I call those my "hyper" bouts of ADHD- sometimes I become so hyper I shake. Even exercising won't calm it down. Then, there are some weeks when I'm just exhausted, not depressed, just exhausted. Please, understand me and hear me when I say this is not a bout of depression. I've had depression in my teenage years, I'm familiar with it, this is entirely different. I'm just tired! For two or three weeks I will still be my happy self- I will just need another two or three hours of sleep, then a few weeks later I will be fine.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you!

zilphy
06-20-14, 04:33 PM
Being excessively tired was what brought me to an ADHD diagnosis in the first place. I was hyper & energetic then wiped out & exhausted. It got worse with age and I had to get some help. Because the ADHD brain lets in too much sensory information, we get overwhlemed. Medication has been a life saver for me. It balances out my focus so I can prioritize and not be so out of control. Even with the meds I'll go for weeks in over drive. Eventually my body forces me to decompress and rest. Still, I like this better than when I was crashing after work or napping on the weekends just to get housework done.

stef
06-20-14, 05:54 PM
omg yes
it gets worse with age
June has been busy and I'm starting to wear down even with all of the light.

Twiggy
06-20-14, 05:56 PM
Tired all day long.

Flia
06-21-14, 11:22 AM
Stopping the sugar is on thing that can help. Reading up on slow and fast carbo hydrates and sticking to only the slow.

When you eat a sweet desert your blood sugar goes up, but a couple of hours later they go down really low, and you get tired and want more sugar.
If you stop drinking soda and juice, and stick to slow carbs the craving for sweet goes away as well.

Sunlovinlady
06-25-14, 01:57 PM
I can relate more than I can tell you. I've tried it your way and recently tried it on meds and the meds seemed to help but I still get that feeling at times. Seems like it happens no matter what.

PandaPanda
07-08-14, 01:50 PM
Ugh. This is one of the worst aspects of adhd. I can't seem to get to a happy balanced point (on meds or off). Meds definitely help a good bit at keeping me at an even keel, but I'm off of those now.

I also eat well and stay away from processed foods and all sweets. I feel like sweets/simple carbs are a huge pitfall for me. The instant energy they provide can create a nasty cycle, so I do better to avoid it all. Caffeine on the other hand...ugh. It's my way of self medicating even though it doesn't work very well on a long term basis.

I actually didn't know energy levels were compromised with adhd until I joined this board. For years I would try to get help from my doctor with cycles of fatigue/insomnia/fatigue on and on. I had no idea it was related, nor did my doctor.

irisisabelle
07-14-14, 01:05 AM
A family member started using a bullet juicer a few months back. She told me yesterday that it has changed her life. She said she has the energy of a 20 something and she said the ring of belly fat that persisted for years has left. I asked her a bunch of questions to understand what exactly she is doing to feel so great and lose 30 or so pounds since Jan. She said she does not diet or change anything else she eats, but starts each day with a juice shake w greens in it along with decaf green tea w pomegranate which she makes outside in sun in jar w 7 tea bags tied together. 7 bags of tea stores in pitcher lasts 1 week, she said you add 1/2 avacado or apple to make it taste better to whatever you are juicing. She looks amazing and i am going to try to make some bullet shakes and see if I have more energy. I figure, what do i have to lose?!

I use a verilux light daily. I highly recommend for energy, even if not on computer, i turn it in room i am in and i definitely feel a difference, it makes my attitude more positive and energetic, hopeful. i turn it off when i start to feel irritated or over charged, then turn back on few hours later. it works for me!

Just need to work on the having more energy to lose some unhealthy weight around my midsection, i figure juicing will benefit my liver which is vital to rid the body of toxins, such as meds ive been prescribed for many years.

She also suggested i take a nutrient-dense multi vitamin. i have no idea what that means exactly but am guessing i will have to seach online or health food store.

Izzy

sabotender
07-14-14, 01:17 PM
it fluctuate between never needing to sleep, and feelin tired no matter how much I'd slept, and right now I'm in hyper mode, so I couldn't really sleep, despite being in the hour that I should be asleep.

annakatarinas
08-05-14, 04:30 AM
I have no energy whatsoever, which leads everyone to believe I'm lazy; and also, it seems as they think I am "lazy" (which I'm not by will) in order to be mean?? Like people (especially my mother who lives with me) say "You're so lazy, all you do is laying around watching TV or going on the Internet or fiddling with your phone... Or lay in bed. You need to get out!".

Problem is I can't. I just don't have the energy, and it's driving me crazy; I have all the energy in my brain, but just putting the thoughts into action seems impossible. Also, I have issues maintaining structures and routine, so I feel like I can't do anything about it; as Flia mentioned above, cutting out certain products (like sugar) from your diet may help... Problem is I can't. I can't keep up routines or life style changes. This is a never ending hamster wheel and I need help.

ElevatorMusic
08-10-14, 07:58 AM
I push myself every day - it's always a struggle. My energy levels are often so low I could fall asleep standing. I hate having to use caffeine as a coping mechanism but that's what works, at least until I get a proper diagnosis.

425runner
08-10-14, 01:51 PM
The work week takes so much out of me and now that I got promoted I have even more responsibilities that when I get home I just crash on the couch. I lay around the house all weekend, manage to take a walk with my husband but that's about it. I just don't have the energy!! I need those 2 days to rest....

silivrentoliel
08-10-14, 02:21 PM
Yes, however, my excessive tiredness is from other health issues, unrelated to ADHD.

kittyb21
08-11-14, 01:03 PM
I've crashed, had quite a long spell of energy that was due to being off work post operatively, and kids still being in term time. Then the kids broken up, energy stayed for about 2 weeks and now I'm just drained. I've got so much to do, but today I ache I'm that tired! Really wish I had a housekeeper :-) xx