View Full Version : Odd ADHD Inattentive Type Situation

Kodoka
06-21-14, 05:36 AM
First, I'd just like to apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong location, but due to the odd nature of the question, I couldn't quite decide where it would properly fit.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type by a local psychologist. The story of how this happened is that after struggling to focus in many aspects all my life, I decided to see if perhaps I had a learning disorder. As a college student, my resources are limited, so I went to a government run organization, vocational rehabilitation. They sent me to a psychologist, and after an almost eight hour testing process and a two week wait, I was told that I had ADHD. Unfortunately the psychologist cannot prescribe any form of treatment, so I attempted to get the report stating that I had ADHD so I could take it to someone that could prescribe treatment. The psychologist will not release the report to me, though. I spoke with the lady working my VR case, and she said that they would release the record to me if the psychologist would allow it, but he won't. My question is does anyone have any idea why he may not release the record to me?

silivrentoliel
06-21-14, 01:52 PM
some doctors won't release a patient's medical records to the patient... but they often have no problem releasing them to another medical professional. try finding someone that will prescribe you the meds and then try to get your psychologist to send the stuff to them

Lunacie
06-21-14, 02:46 PM
Here's what I found about requesting your medical records:

Be aware that you may be denied access to some records, usually related to mental health records. If a provider believes that letting you look at your medical records can endanger your physical health, your request may be refused. They cannot deny you access just because they think you will be upset, unless they believe that upset will lead to an attempt to physically harm yourself. If you are refused, the provider must make that clear, in writing.

@ http://patients.about.com/od/yourmedicalrecords/a/getmedrecords.htm

If you have a primary care physician, you could ask that doctor to request your records and then help you to find someone who can prescribe treatment for you.

SASChii
06-25-14, 02:11 PM
First, I'd just like to apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong location, but due to the odd nature of the question, I couldn't quite decide where it would properly fit.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type by a local psychologist. The story of how this happened is that after struggling to focus in many aspects all my life, I decided to see if perhaps I had a learning disorder. As a college student, my resources are limited, so I went to a government run organization, vocational rehabilitation. They sent me to a psychologist, and after an almost eight hour testing process and a two week wait, I was told that I had ADHD. Unfortunately the psychologist cannot prescribe any form of treatment, so I attempted to get the report stating that I had ADHD so I could take it to someone that could prescribe treatment. The psychologist will not release the report to me, though. I spoke with the lady working my VR case, and she said that they would release the record to me if the psychologist would allow it, but he won't. My question is does anyone have any idea why he may not release the record to me?

Here's a difference. Psychologists are not medical doctors, they are professionals. Only medical doctors can prescribe medications, so you will need to go see a psychiatrist who is board certified MD.

aeon
06-25-14, 11:37 PM
Nurse Practitioners can also prescribe medications.

spamspambacon
06-26-14, 09:10 AM
I agree with silivrentoliel and lunacie.

"doctors release reports to other doctors."*

Here, I'm using the term "doctor" to refer to all sorts of various professionals in the medical/health field.

This is the typical way that transferring medical reports has been handled, for many many decades prior.

Remember... electronic medical records are a pretty new thing... they started gaining traction 20 years ago, but even just 5 or 10 yrs ago, a lot of doctors were not "connected" to other health care systems.

Within the past 20 years, we (as a a society) have had to sort out the best ways to handle our records. These new methods are getting assimilated into the healthcare system, but it's a slow process.

I'm fairly certain your "doctor" would gladly release your records to another "doctor".

You need a prescription, which can only come from a medical doctor**.
So, find one - then you will have the "doctor" that can ask for your records.

HTH,

cheers!

~spamalot

* I'm not speaking to the legality of the practice; of what the law says. I'm just suggesting a way to think of the issue, so that you can get to the goal of getting your prescription written.

**or nurse practitioner; but the scripts the nurse writes will still be from a medical doctor; the prescription will be written under a doctor's name who oversees that nurse's prescribing activities.

Starter11
06-29-14, 11:54 AM
What type of Vocational Rehabilitation are you interested in?

What types of Vocational Rehabilitation are available to you?

As a college student, there may be career counseling available to you, at your college, or at other universities.

ACA is supposed to have counseling available.

The college clinic could probably start you on meds, if you are interested.

Are you still under your parent's medical plan?

//

ginniebean
06-29-14, 02:14 PM
Also be aware not all doctors will take into consideration the findings of a psychologist. Sometimes they work together and sometimes they don't. You may be required to be retested all over again.

Most of us are interviewed many times in our lives. It's not just get diagnosed and then receive treatment. Being diagnosed multiple times is a norm.