View Full Version : Is it normal...

window
06-25-14, 07:28 AM
My son is 5 years old. He has been diagnosed with developmental delay and is being assessed for ADHD.

He does many praiseworthy things and I am so proud of him when he does that. But then immediately after this he may do something very dangerous or unexpected which can spoil the day. For example, in the class he may take care of a child who is upset and crying, but the next minute tear the same child's book and make him more upset. When I ask him why he does this thing, he tells me "I did it because it wasn't nice."

Does anybody else have children who behave like this. Is there anyway I can support him to stay in the positive behaviour without slipping into negatives?

sarahsweets
06-26-14, 04:16 AM
welcome to the world of adhd. I think once he gets treated things will get better.

Tmoney
06-26-14, 09:07 AM
I was that way. Diagnosed at 6 years old. I would stick up for the under dog and chase bullies away. I could pick on you, but I wouldn't let anyone else pick on you.

I would do mean things because I had no fear of authority or any other child. I would fight at the drop of a hat.

I know, it doesn't make sense! The good news is over the years I would always pick fights with bullies and never bother the child being bullied. So I got better over the years.

I laso had weo older brothers who picked on me!

I have a son who is 26 today. He is unmedicated AD(H)D and he is the same exact way. He can't stand bullies. He and I have been in way too many fights simply because we can't sit by and watch someone get picked on.

When I was working with kids and I would observe this behavior I would ask them why they did it and then I would ask how they felt when they were being nice and then how they felt when they were being mean.
Then I would put that feeling back on them.
I would ask them how they felt when someone was mean to them and then how did they feel when someone was nice to them!
Once they start to understand the two feelings and how it affects others, I would see a change in that negative behavior.

Of course when I witnessed them being nice I would praise and make and example and let them know that's the desired behavior I was looking for.

I wish good things for you!

window
06-26-14, 10:03 AM
hi! that's so kind of you to respond back, i would like to use some of the techniques either now or later on...... cheers