View Full Version : Hormones rendering Adderall XR completely useless?

heylookacastle!
06-26-14, 05:29 PM
I've been working on trying to figure out why my adderall just DOES NOT work at all sometimes. I have tried everything diet, vitamin, mineral related and yet every month or so my meds cut out effectiveness completely. Adjusting the dose does not offer any improvement and it's like my body all of a sudden rejects the medication. No side effects, decreasing or increasing dose has no effect and I have zero cardiovascular response. It's like I took a placebo.

I was trying to find a reason but have found nothing and I'm starting to realize this is about the same time that I experience breast tenderness.... as well as this happened when I got OFF the depo-provera shot which from what I hear makes no sense.... Isn't progesterone supposed to prevent meds from working? my meds were always reliable until I started pms'ing again which lasts like 10-11 days of full on symptoms before I get relief.

Is this possible?

Lunacie
06-26-14, 08:35 PM
I've not heard about progesterone preventing stimulant meds from working. :scratch:

But it does work to prevent hormonal cycles, so there are no fluctuations.
When you go off the DP, the fluctuations return and those often affect the response to stimulant meds.

heylookacastle!
06-27-14, 06:50 AM
I've not heard about progesterone preventing stimulant meds from working. :scratch:

But it does work to prevent hormonal cycles, so there are no fluctuations.
When you go off the DP, the fluctuations return and those often affect the response to stimulant meds.

Oh ok! I have no clue. I did possibly read that wrong and it's that higher hormone levels prevent the medication from being effective sometimes.

Thanks for the clarification on that! I reacted EXTREMELY well to the depo. Actually seemed to fix something in me. Less breakouts, lost weight, better mood stability. I'm considering going back on since I have no contraindications for it.

My main concern is when I was on it, everything was dependable and awesome ADHD med wise. Stable, no need for dose changes... I was pretty good for about 7 months or so. My problems started when I stopped the shot. Within two weeks of when my shot would have been due, my Adderall prescription stopped working while I was out of town. Thankfully I called my doctor and she sent in another script for Ritalin IR and told me to try the Adderall again in a month or so. I did and it was ok but ever since then I've been having about 7-10 total days throughout the month where it does not work.

Took me so long to figure out what was wrong. Never considered hormones because it was never addressed to be the possible issue.

Since my old doctor left, I have run into problems at certain times of the month resulting with me trying other meds and now I'm back on Adderall XR. My doctor seems to think that Adderall should always work the same no matter what and dismisses it at I'm not noticing it working. That would be fine if it were true but that simply isn't the case.

I am going to speak to him about going back to having the Ritalin IR as a fall back for when my Adderall cuts out and I need to stop taking it for a few days. Odds are he'll say no because he's not comfortable with it, at which point I'm going to be seeing a psychiatrist as well as switching to a female physician in the same practice who has more experience with ADHD.

I already noticed an ever so slight difference in my medication this morning but i'm not going to get my hopes up in case this lasts another 6 days like it sometimes does.

We'll see. :D

Flia
06-27-14, 07:29 AM
If you search the forum for progesterone (and various spellings) you'll find that it can cause anxiety in people like us.

So it might not be an effect on the stimulants , but the progesterone itself.

And..
Womem with ADHD are often a lot more sensitive to hormones in general.

heylookacastle!
06-27-14, 07:41 AM
Hmm okay well that is very good to know and looking back, after I started it I was put on Klonopin for anxiety but I assumed that was unrelated... Thanks for the info! It seems like a bad idea to go on such an intense hormonal drug just to try to help my ADHD medication work better. My PMS symptoms overall aren't severely terrible. Just noticed the major issues around ovulation time and occasionally right before the beginning of my cycle.

Thanks!

Lunacie
06-27-14, 10:44 AM
There's a good book by Sari Solden that addresses female hormones and how they affect ADHD and the meds we take.
It's called Women With Attention Deficit Disorder.

I know I've seen other books and sources recommended here, but didn't pay much attention
because this isn't an issue for me these days.

But it could help in addressing this with your doctor since he doesn't consider fluctuating hormones to be a real problem.

heylookacastle!
06-27-14, 12:02 PM
There's a good book by Sari Solden that addresses female hormones and how they affect ADHD and the meds we take.
It's called Women With Attention Deficit Disorder.

I know I've seen other books and sources recommended here, but didn't pay much attention
because this isn't an issue for me these days.

But it could help in addressing this with your doctor since he doesn't consider fluctuating hormones to be a real problem.

Thank you so much! I'll order it from chapters today. Because I was on the depo shot for so long, I forgot to take hormones into consideration and when things went off track, I was always looking in the wrong place. It think it's time I start educating myself with a little bit more gender specific information.

Thanks again! I appreciate it!

Lunacie
06-27-14, 12:21 PM
I was able to check it out for free at the library.

heylookacastle!
06-27-14, 07:15 PM
I may just do that. I tend to like to highlight and make little notes in my books so I may just have to buy one though. My "You mean I'm not stupid, lazy or crazy?" book looks so insanely old. lol

Lunacie
06-27-14, 07:42 PM
I may just do that. I tend to like to highlight and make little notes in my books so I may just have to buy one though. My "You mean I'm not stupid, lazy or crazy?" book looks so insanely old. lol

:giggle: