View Full Version : Just started Ritalin IR, does the anxiety get better after time?

Explainplease
06-28-14, 02:43 AM
Hey guys first post but a long time reader. I've had anxiety for pretty much all my life dx with GAD, Social Anxiety, OCD and Inattentive ADD.

I've always been a very anxious person and I've done everything and tried almost every substance under the sun to relieve it.

Opiates - Completely relieves all my anxieties.
Benzos - Very good at relieving my anxieties.
Alcohol - Very good also
THC - Decent
Methamphetamine - Bad for anxiety if you do not have a tolerance! But once you do, it actually relieves alot of anxiety!

I've abused the above for well over 10 years and in the past 3 years I've decided to get clean and sober. In these 3 years I've realised my anxiety has always been a mega issue for me to deal with hence the reason for my past drug abuse. I've tried CBT, I've tried meditation, I regularly lift weights and take supplements but my anxiety is always still lingering. I dealt with it, but of late its really done my head in and its maybe because I want to feel perfect like I once did. I know its wishful thinking but I told myself I might as well try see a shrink and see what a combination of a stimulant and SNRI could do (I really don't want to go back to using a benzo)

So I decided to see a shrink and get my issues treated. Im on 100mg of Pristiq and 40mg of Ritalin IR a day (4x10mg).

Now I really want to know if the Ritalin will help calm and reduce my anxiety in the long run just like Methamphetamine did for me. Or am I on the wrong drug. I recently just started the Ritalin and im getting alot of tension and muscle aches from the anxiety. Crunching up, frequently have to urinate. Im hoping this will pass over time once my body builds up a tolerance.

Can anyone let me know if SNRI + Ritalin will help reduce my anxiety if i stick with it for long enough? :confused:

Pilgrim
06-28-14, 12:33 PM
Ah that's a difficult question but I think yes.
I must say with stimulints they can increase anxiety but you do become more tolerant of the medication and this goes away.
Don't know much about Pristique but I would like to know how you get on.
How do you find the Ritalin ?

Pilgrim
06-28-14, 12:38 PM
Anxiety and Depression are two sides of the same coin but I know if you take the right stimulint this is a great way to fix it.
That's what I think and I tried heaps of anti depressants.
Goodluck

Pilgrim
06-28-14, 01:05 PM
Ultimately those other drugs are a bad substitute for solving anxiety.
Stimulints can increase anxiety , but the right mix should help a lot .
Give it a go but don't give up easily. Could be a case of cycling through the right meds.
I found nothing comess close to Stims for anxiety, the only problem is tolerance .

thebomb402
06-30-14, 04:38 PM
Ritalin was an anxiety nightmare for me. About 10x worse than d-amphetamine.

Wookiee
09-22-14, 05:03 PM
Ritalin was an anxiety nightmare for me. About 10x worse than d-amphetamine.

Ditto.
I was also very easily agitated to the point of violent outbursts.
Dex are 1000% better for me.

I had relief of anxiety symptoms almost completely when I started the Dex.
After taking them for 18-24 months tho I am back to anxiety full bore, but my ADHD symptoms are still being helped with the Dex.

I tried many Anti-depressants.
Cypramil
Lexapro
Pristique
Xanax

Plus many more.

Xanax was the latest and it hasnt worked so back to the doc to try something else.

Thats all you can do really.
Continue giving feedback to your GP and your psychologist/psychiatrist and keep trying.