View Full Version : tdcs

faller
06-28-14, 12:08 PM
Dear all, please listened to "9-volt nirvana" by radiolab. Its freshly posted. Report back with comments. I will just say that i am very interested!

peripatetic
06-28-14, 12:13 PM
i've heard of trans-cranial direct current stimulation, but not tried it and don't know anyone who has.

i would be super cautious about trying to make your own device because you could seriously injure self.

are you thinking of it for ADHD? or just more generally?

faller
06-28-14, 12:23 PM
For both. I've heardd for similar things before but what was really interesting was in the radiolab story. Abridged version: reporter gets the treatment for snipper training for the story. Day or so later driving is really fun and easy because she is focused on driving rather than her usual worries.

The program is really compelling. Would love to try it for learning R programming (not going well so far) andd for learning chinese. PLUS i am a worrier and always have been. I am looking into this furrther.

alan1
07-22-14, 03:29 PM
I heard the radiolab story. Can it really be that simple?
After doing as much research as one can on the internet I bought a unit from trans-cranial. It is several hundred dollars but they do offer a money back guarantee.

After just a couple of weeks here is what I can tell you. Focus for me is very difficult when it comes to things requiring brainpower. For example, I play an instrument and enjoy it. But practicing scales and learning new music, after literally 3 - 3 1/2 minutes (I'm always working with a timer) I need a mental break. With the brain stim. I'm good for the full 20 minutes it is on without stopping. It is an amazing, head clearing feeling. Like driving on a newly paved road after all the potholes and trash have been removed. All I can say is wow. There is some residual effect for a while later but it is not nearly as good as when it is on. I also feel much calmer. I'm hoping that the changes become more constant but we'll see. I have not had any headaches with its use as some report. At the beginning there is a very slight burning sensation but that quickly goes away.

faller
07-27-14, 02:53 PM
Alan, where have you been placing the electrodes? I bought a cheap unit and place the catodes on my forehead and anode on my shoulder. It does seem to help, but has been modest.

alan1
07-30-14, 03:06 PM
At first I put the anode over FP1 and cathode at FP3. That worked pretty well. My focus was better. On day 1 it was very modest - just barely perceptible. On day 2 it was very noticeably better and on day 3 going forward it was MUCH better. For the 20 minutes I use it I can do whatever intellectual activity I want and my brain is pretty clear and without distraction or desire to stop. That was IMPOSSIBLE before. My only thought now is "so THIS is what life is like without ADHD!"

There are many other montages (ways to place the electrodes). The "savant learning" montage is with the anode over T4 and the cathode over T3. That was better than without the stimulation but not as good in terms of learning or concentration. I tried it again but this time with the opposite placement (anode at T3, cathode at T4) and that was much much better than either of the above.

When I practiced trumpet scale exercises I always use a metronome. Previously I was able to do these exercises for only 3 - 4 minutes at a time without the need for a mental break. I could resume them after doing something else (e.g. surf the internet) for 5 - 10 minutes. Since I'm always pushing the envelope to do them faster, the level of difficulty is about the same from day to day. Using a metronome also gives some means of measure. With the stimulation on day 3 I was able to push the metronome by 12% - 14% faster with every scale I played (after being stuck at the same tempo for weeks) and could practice continuously for the entire 20 minutes that I used the stimulation.

Much as I would love to practice all day with this thing on, safety parameters have not been fully established so I limit myself to the 20 minutes that most experts recommend.

Timberline
08-10-14, 01:03 PM
I heard this RadioLab and was very interested! Thanks, Alan, for your experience! Are you also on meds?

Have a great day, everyone!!
T-Line

alan1
09-24-14, 11:29 PM
Are you also on meds?

Yes - Concerta and Straterra. They don't help nearly as much as the TDCS