View Full Version : How to get significant fitness results (Motivational!)

It'sPeter
06-30-14, 08:29 AM
Hi all,

I saw this forum section is rather empty, but hopefully it is allowed to post here(?).

The title of the post reads like an awful spammy slogan, but I thought it would be nice if we have a thread with tips on how we (the blessed unfocused ones) can achieve significant fitness results. I have a hard time with really getting myself to work-out, but I do have some tips that help me. They will not make me a professional athlete, but for me (an ADD'er) leaving the gym after having finally having worked out again feels like winning a gold medal. I'm talking a lot about 'the gym', because that's where I go to work-out. Not everyone will, but I think my tips are not restricted by that. Also I focus mainly on strength training, but the general tips can apply to any form of exercise, I feel.

HERE WE GO:

Have the things that you need ready to go. Eliminate any chances of distracting from going to the gym (or wherever you exercise). Have your gym bag ready to pick up and leave. Having to gather all your stuff will cost momentum and can easily end up in doing something completely different from what you set out to do.

Know what you are going to do at the gym. Looking up exercises on the internet just before going to the gym often resulted in me getting lost on the internet or starting up a videogame. Copy from a book or print out a clear exercise schedule that says which exercises have to be done, in what order, how many sets and reps and leave it in your sports bag. This will eliminate wandering around in the gym doing a bit of this and that and then go home feeling pointless.

Find a way to achieve achievement. Having a work-out schedule with you in the gym is a great start, but it still has to gain meaning for you. Take a notebook with you and after every exercise write down how many sets and reps you did and grade them. For example: according to the schedule, you have to bench press three sets of ten reps. Assuming you just started and still have to determine your level, you decide to put two weights of five kilograms on the barbell and start the exercise. After the exercise you grade your performance. I do it on a scale of 1 (being impossible) to 10 (being no challenge whatsoever) and 5 being the middle tension level and what I aim for. When you find the exercise not really challenging, you could grade it as a 7 or 7,5. If it was really though, but you still managed it you could grade it as a 5 or 5,5. If it was too hard to even finish you can grade it lower. I write it down in my notebook like this: Bench press 3 x 10 x (2x5) 7 (3 sets of 10 reps each, with 5 kg on both ends with a grade of 7).

Just by writing this down I feel like I did something meaningful and took my trip to the gym seriously.
Two other great benefits are that next time I go to the gym I have a clear point to start from (last time I graded the exercise as a 7, so I try adding a little more weight to the barbell and grade it again). And after a few times you can read back your progress in the notebook (because you will improve!). This gives you a great feeling of achievement.

It's also important to find the right gym. I think I can safely assume that many people here are familiar with subscriptions (to magazines, gyms online stuff) they want to cancel, but never get around to cancelling. The last thing you want is to turn a great initiative like exercising into another financial worry.
This year I joined a gym, that let's you exercise for free it you go three times a week. I'm still a student, so money is scarce. This forces me to go to the gym. It's not a very positive stimulant, but it works for me.
There's also a sauna there, which I turned into a reward for exercising. I always have to exercise first before going to the sauna. Sometimes I focus on going to the sauna, so the exercising is a bit of a thing I just have to do, to earn going to the sauna. I snuck the exercising in, but exercised nonetheless!

I'm really looking forward to any tips the rest of you have. Maybe it's just me, but when I read a post like the one I just wrote from someone else, I get a bit intimitaded, because it sounds like the writer is a bundle of muscle that has it all well in order. I am and do not, though. But, I have come across a few things that helped me tremendously and want to share them with you and invite people to share their tips.

Fuzzy12
07-01-14, 10:25 AM
Great tips and I guess they will work for any kind of task that needs to be performed. Thanks for sharing :)

I'd love it if my gym charged me for not attending regularly (or rather didn't charge me if I did go regularly). As it is they've been happily collecting my membership fees for the last 7 years though on average I guess, I've been going less than once every two months. :doh:

Twiggy
07-01-14, 11:00 AM
Gyms are not necessary. They are too expensive.

casper
04-23-16, 08:48 AM
I want to join a gym but Iam afraid of looking out of place

Socaljaxs
04-23-16, 06:02 PM
I want to join a gym but Iam afraid of looking out of place

Honestly, most people aren't paying attention. Or if they do most of the time it is motivational for others to see someone committing to doing it.