View Full Version : Exercise? Brain Needs Structure! Help??

sbcy
07-02-14, 07:03 PM
I've been trying to establish a consistent routine of exercising daily for years now but most of this has just been avoidance to elaborate lengths.

But this isn't just limited to exercise, I tend to avoid like the plague any activity that is unstructured, even if it's not that awful / something other people might enjoy to some degree.

"Just going for a run", "just study", "just hang out" or any unstructured activity like that drains my mental & physical energy really fast which also results in increased attention difficulties.

I find my obsessiveness for understanding useful things tends to motivate me to do what others at times would find boring/draining, but for me it's another exciting box to check off. :p

Fortunately, I don't need to lose any weight through exercise, but I know it will help my brain, so I want to make this work. Once I have a clearly structured routine for any activity, I usually adhere to it like a religion. But without precise structure, I seem to be hopeless in any activity - the uncertainty kills me I guess.If anyone has any suggestions (and/or links to relevant resources) on how to structure / assemble an effective exercise routine for best helping the ADD or OCD/low serotonin brain I'd really appreciate hearing from you

PS: I'm diagnosed with OCD, ADD, social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety disorder

spunkysmum
07-02-14, 07:13 PM
I don't know the science behind what exercise is best for brain function, but it is certainly possible to add your own structure to an exercise routine. Like, if you are going to try running outdoors, what I have done in the past when mapping a walking route is to get in my car and drive along the route, using the odometer to measure mile markers so I will know how many miles I am doing later. When I was working out in a gym, I did things like punching up the speed and incline on the treadmill one notch per minute for a certain number of minutes until it was as steep and fast as I could manage, then dropping it and starting over again. Or, at the gym, you can plan a workout around your favorite TV shows and work out during them since most gym cardio machines have personal TVs attached to them.

Corina86
07-03-14, 07:53 AM
If you need structure, you should try joining an aerobic/yoga/kick-box class. It would be great if you had a friend to join along.

If you have a job or go to school, you could get some exercise by walking or cycling there, at least part of the distance. Walking is the easiest and most pleasant thing for me, because it's the only exercise that requires almost no focus.

But don't expect miracles from exercising. Besides a slight boost of self-confidence for looking better, exercise didn't help me neither with my ADHD or my anxiety. Not even my social anxiety didn't diminish even after going to the gym for about 2 years- I stopped going because more and more people were joining in and I got tired of the crowds.

FreePrometheus
07-03-14, 11:54 AM
I take classes, there is a schedule. I like it. I have to be there on time. My suggestion: Pick something you like and you will do!

SB_UK
07-03-14, 01:32 PM
assemble an effective exercise routine for best helping low serotonin

Sunshine affects the brain via the interaction of the chemicals melatonin and serotonin, as well as vitamin D. When sunlight hits your eyes, your optic nerve sends a message to the gland in the brain that produces melatonin (a hormone that helps you sleep); the gland decreases its secretions of melatonin until the sun goes down again. The opposite happens with the chemical serotonin; when you're exposed to sun, your brain increases serotonin (a hormone connected with feelings of happiness and wakefulness) production. And when the ultraviolet rays from sunshine touch your skin, your body produces vitamin D, which helps you maintain serotonin levels. http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/affects-of-lack-of-sun

just go out and move and get into trance ?

Currently prescribed (daily): 3 x 100mg Zoloft / Sertraline (Greenstone), 2 x 40 mg Strattera, Vitamin D 5,000 IU

SB_UK
07-03-14, 01:37 PM
I've tried sertraline - in UK called lustral - that name always reminds me of sunshine.

Drug was completely useless for me though - sunshine not.

4 or 5 hours in the sun - one of our few sunny days in the UK today - and I feel 1000xbetter than any drug (bar dex in the early days) has made me feel.

Mind you all good little boys and girls are inside doing something pointless for money when the sun's out ... ... ...

Ever tried dex ? it was streets ahead of stratterra - at least when I compared them.