View Full Version : How do you put together a GOOD, SIMPLE, DIET *not* primarily aimed at weight loss?

sbcy
07-02-14, 07:20 PM
The overwhelming focus on diets and weight loss all over the web and TV is difficult to sort through, let alone someone with psychiatric disorder(s). I want to eat well so I feel good and to keep my body and brain healthy. Controlling overeating and obsessive calorie counting fortunately isn't a huge concern as a 20-something.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how one can go about assembling a simple diet that will be good for our brains?

I hate all these "complicated" (well, normal people probably say they aren't complicated but it's just such anxiety provoking doing all these different preparations when you have ADD and anxiety disorder) meals where they put like a little bit of a million things to make it taste good at a low calorie count, but often times I just want to quickly eat enough so I can keep my body and mind fueled. I've found that simplicity tends to fight picky eating habits.

Where can we start? I'm aware certain proteins and such are supposed to be good for ADD but how can a real diet that works be put together? Any help is much appreciated and I hope this thread will help anyone struggling with a similar problem!

spunkysmum
07-02-14, 07:31 PM
I wish I could help, but honestly, I find it all way too hard to sort through myself, both with foods and nutritional supplements.

I've accepted that I am just never going to be able to be a calorie-counter, because I will never have the attention to waste on that AND trying to manage life. Limiting or increasing certain types of food in general is more likely to be something I can handle.

FreePrometheus
07-02-14, 07:38 PM
Try the nutrition source by Harvard University department of public health.

It is very simple, based on cutting edge research, and is built on health, not weight loss.

It is not a diet, it is just a form of healthy eating.

Try it here:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Your healthy plate here:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2013/04/HEPApr2013.jpg

Unmanagable
07-03-14, 02:08 AM
What works for me:

Maximizing the real and limiting the synthetic. In food, drink, and supplements. Stay hydrated.

It requires more time planning, shopping, and cooking, but has proven to be worth it. It's becoming a smoother process to prepare a lot of stuff ahead of time, too. I gradually phased out fast food, many processed and frozen items, canned soups, sodas and processed juices, and replaced basics and condiments with healthier options.

The supplements are harder to navigate because we're all so different, and w/o blood work to get an idea of what you're working with, guessing and listening to your body is all you can do. I try to be consistent with magnesium, vit d, vit b12, and curcumin.

Buying them in chain and drug stores can be tricky due to all the not so beneficial ingredients included. I shop for vegan or kosher varieties via Swanson products online. They have decent prices and I've caught good sales.

Quality ingredients that our bodies will recognize and healthily use is the key, in my opinion. Don't try to change it all at once.

Snapdragon
07-06-14, 10:45 AM
I discoverd No S
No snacks, sweets, or seconds except on dYs that start with S and Special occasions.

So basically three plates of food a day. What you put on it is up to you. Many people find it easier to make healthy choices and portion control this way.

stef
07-06-14, 01:05 PM
Don't overthink it, just eat as much real food as possible!

Corina86
07-07-14, 05:20 AM
Some food, I believe (it's just a belief, I have no proof to back it up), should be good for ADHD:

-most fish and seafood (salmon, sardines, shrimp, cod, mackerel) contain omega 3 (DHA and EPA- best type of fatty acids), choline, selenium and B vitamins- a bit hard to cook and to not to everyone's taste though
-walnuts contain lots omega 3 fatty acids (ALA), so does walnut oil- and they also taste very good
-flax-seeds contain more omega 3 acids (ALA) than any other type of food, but they tend to go out undigested through our guts and go rotten very quickly if grounded; it's best to ground them right before eating them
-sunflower seeds, almonds, peanuts (raw) contain lots of vitamins, especially B1, B3, B6; peanut butter is good too, as long as it doesn't have any added palm oil or too much salt
-sesame seeds contain lots of: calcium, magnesium, zinc and cooper; there is also sesame paste, tahini, which can be eaten as a spread, sauce or salad dressing or it can be used to make humus, which is delicious
-mushrooms, spinach and beans (all, except soybeans- those are still controversial) are also good for a bunch of things but I don't remember exactly what (spinach has iron though)
-meat (chicken, turkey, beef) also contains protein, iron, B vitamins, but non-organic meat might not be very healthy and organic is very expensive

Also, it best to keep away from anything that might raise your insulin too quickly, such as sugars and other simple carbs (white flour, potatoes); fruit and whole-wheat grains are good though, but not over-doing them, because they are still carbs. You can find whole-wheat bread, pasta, brown rice (tastes better than white rice, but harder to boil though). And vegetables are good too, of course.

And drink water or sugar free tea or coffee; avoid drinking sweet stuff (with sugar or sweeteners).