View Full Version : Does ADHD affect you relationship with God?

The Prestige
07-05-14, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I got officially diagnosed with ADD last February 2014 at 31 years-old. Since then I'm still in shock and even more frustrated since a heart condition discovered last April makes me unable to take any medication for treatment. For now only fish oil, a clean diet and strong exercises are my options.

Knowing that ADD is part of my life, it feels like getting out of the ''matrix'' somehow and now I can consciously self-analyze my demeanor and probably for the first time truly understand how people see me. As a christian, it feels even more crazier because we approach life as God talking to us through the highs and lows of life.

Mind to tell how enrage I am. In this huge family of mine, I'm the underachiever, but I keep on fighting, cause fighting is all I can do.
The question that pops my mind right now is the passage in Psalm 11:3; ''When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?"

And you, how your ADHD or ADD affects your relationship with God?

PS: Please be respectful Christians and Non-Christians alike. Thanks! :thankyou:

vpilar
07-05-14, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone,

PS: Please be respectful Christians and Non-Christians alike. Thanks! :thankyou:

Does ADHD affect you relationship with God?

Yes, it did, indeed. It made me not believe in him/it/her/them.

(Let me rephrase my statement in a more precise/accurate way:

"I think, my special personality and my thoughts on the "Whys"and "Hows" of the life, and the kinds of life-style I chose, which matched my special personality and my thoughts, made me not believe in him/it/her/them.
And then I was diagnosed with ADHD, just 2 3 months ago at 31 yo) and realized that most of this "personality and thoughts" of mine, is actually highly associated with/caused by what people call AD(H)D. So yeah... back to the first statement above.. )

vpilar
07-05-14, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I just saw your PS.
I always try (and think that I am) respectful to all of the humans and objects, (excepts when I'm very angry and out of control, which doesn't happen often). At the same time, I believe that "being respectful" is a very relative concept.
Having said that, I find that some people find it disrespectful to don't assume the holiness of what they believe is holy, and get very offended, when for example somebody expresses that don't believe in it.

In case you think that way, and have been offended by my response (hopefully not :) ) then please accept my apologies. I didn't have any bad intention whatsoever, just tried to answer the question.

Sorry, for the long apology post :)

sarek
07-05-14, 04:45 PM
I dont know about anything specific, but I do know ADD has something to do with my desire to study myself in depth and so search beyond what is known.

The Prestige
07-05-14, 05:59 PM
Hi Vpilar,

I'm not offended at all, on the contrary, thanks for sharing your thoughts. The ''PS'' was meant to have a mature discussion and not a debate.

The Prestige
07-05-14, 06:01 PM
Hi Sarek,

I'm on this path of self-discovery, because the ADD does indeed pushes someone to question almost everything for lack of better terms. And that exactly how I'm feeling at this moment.

daveddd
07-05-14, 06:02 PM
i don't have a relationship with god

when i first thought of your question, i thought no way , no relation between adhd and god

but then i remembered my concrete thinking style brought on by adhd (its common in adhd, but not everyone with adhd)

and yea that can contribute

Hyperman87
07-05-14, 08:18 PM
:goodpost: :thankyou:

Yes,it certainly could?:lol: :( The intrusive(often scary) thoughts that sometimes accompany adult ADHD,in addition to the lack of focus & hyperactivity. Will make an affected child or adult believe they are wrong, bad,immoral, hearing voices, or worse.If, of course your a believer?, that is!

I'm actually very devote & religious! ADHD made things so bad,that before ADHD medication. I could barely get through a prayer(in my own head!), read a bible verse, & talk about attending religious services.Forget it!

With medication/therapy for Attention deficit disorder,however! Things are nearly the complete opposite for me.:cool::D:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thoughts

spunkysmum
07-05-14, 11:00 PM
I will have to think about it some more before I can speak to how my ADHD affects my relationship with God but I have noted that my belief in God seems to affect how ADHD affects me, if that makes any sense. It breaks my heart to read posts from people who really do feel worthless because of how the disorder affects every area of their lives and how difficult it is to live up to the expectations of an NT society. I get down and frustrated and angry with myself and everything else but I never quite feel worthless and I believe that's due to the fact that it is not really possible to feel truly worthless once you've come to the belief that the Creator of all that is or ever was is personally interested in you, knows everything about you and loves you in spite of it all.

RobboW
07-06-14, 08:40 AM
I find ADHD (not diagnosed yet but sure I am) does get in the way of having the relationship with God that I think I should. I'm too distracted and self centred, have trouble trying to read my bible and have counterproductive habits I have learned are caused by the ADHD, whether directly or indirectly. This frustrates me no end, but at the same time, I know that God understands this and forgives. Jesus went to the cross as a sacrifice for mankind so that our sins are absolved as long as we believe and desire a relationship with God. That is his will. We stumble along the way, we are human and he loves us, human frailties and all. We must truly want the relationship and make the effort for it to work.

With my ADHD peculiarities, I'm not good for preaching Jesus's words and helping others understand, but I can certainly help those who can. I see my role as hands and feet to better equip other Christians to do this work. My ADHD gives me other gifts that are still of help to God. The Bible is full of examples of unworthy people being chosen to do God's work. I think this is because we can understand right and wrong and be humble, knowing we are a tool and It's really all about him. So in essence, we are the Christian body, comprising of many parts that all do different things to make the whole body work for God.

Because of this, I take myself out of my comfort zone and do AV for our Church. It often places me in situations I could fail in, but pushes me to try and do better. I know I am appreciated, faults and all.
Amen.
God bless :-)

The Prestige
07-06-14, 12:12 PM
@Hyperman87
If medication has also improved your spiritual life then it must be one of the best feeling in the world.

@Spunkysmum
I agree. There's no reason to fear worthless. The challenge is rather how to sail through life with ADD.

@Robbowow
I understand your point. As a christian body, we have different skills and talents. The thing is I don't consider ADD a skill nor a gift. But indeed, it is still possible to work around it. It's crazy because some leaders at my church still believe I have a calling in ministry to become a pastor. I remember leading a prayer's group few years back and it was so hard to even prepare for a message. I had some good days but was inconsistent. I found myself stumbling words many times and I kept forgetting my points. On rare occasions, I forgot my whole message, like my mind went completely blank.

My reaction was more prayer, more studying, more fasting etc. Some saw it as God's judgement for some reason. But it had nothing to do with it. Looking back now I can say it was ADD!

Hyperman87
07-06-14, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=The Prestige;1662240]@Hyperman87
If medication has also improved your spiritual life then it must be one of the best feeling in the world.

Yes it is! And thank you :)

ferrarl
07-21-14, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I got officially diagnosed with ADD last February 2014 at 31 years-old. Since then I'm still in shock and even more frustrated since a heart condition discovered last April makes me unable to take any medication for treatment. For now only fish oil, a clean diet and strong exercises are my options.

Knowing that ADD is part of my life, it feels like getting out of the ''matrix'' somehow and now I can consciously self-analyze my demeanor and probably for the first time truly understand how people see me. As a christian, it feels even more crazier because we approach life as God talking to us through the highs and lows of life.

Mind to tell how enrage I am. In this huge family of mine, I'm the underachiever, but I keep on fighting, cause fighting is all I can do.
The question that pops my mind right now is the passage in Psalm 11:3; ''When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?"

Yes it does but if God thought it would be better for me and for his glory to be born without ADD, he would have done it since he is all loving and all powerful.

For me the biggest annoyance comes from not being able to wrap my mind around how lucky I am and how awesome he is. When I start thinking of Him, I my mind will jump somewhere else pretty soon which means I can pretty much never be overwhelmed by his love.

The way I see it if I'm able to keep my mind wondering how amazing he is and what he has done for, eventually its just going to be too much and I have no other option than to thank him and be comforted in his love. But as of now, that wonder only happens in my mind, not emotions or feelings, because I always get distracted whats around me.

It'sPeter
07-22-14, 07:46 AM
I was baptised a Catholic as a child, but more out of a family custom. My grandparents were quite religious and taught me to have faith in god and to pray. When my anxiety started to become a permanent thing in my young life I remember having a period in which I would feverishly pray to god for my parents not be killed in traffic, for example and I would feel extremely guilty when I did something bad.

Later, still a child, I came in contact with buddhism, which broadened my horizon. I think it was mainly of the more practical teachings buddhism had (meditation, un-unattachment, respect for everything that lives) that I changed from a god fearing person to feeling like an equal element and valuable part of life on earth.

As I grew older, I grew more critical and practical (this thread isn't the place for my arguments). This led me to completely renounce both Christianity (I unregistered as Christian) and Budddhism, leaving me with my own guidelines in life (things like becoming the best version of yourself when it comes to compassion, self-worth, kindness, empathy, self-respect).

The role ADD played in this for me, is clarity, I think. Looking back I see a journey in which I searched for truths and proof. Things that are vague or seem to waver when critiqued couldn't act as a solid base from which to live my life. I couldn't grasp certain things, because I couldn't retrace it to a good reason. I'm very perfectionistic (ADD?) and critical, which, for me, makes it impossible to believe in god (or the Bible). If I think back of the months and years as a young child I spent being scared of going to hell or being a subject to some big all-seeing force, I wish I could go back in time and tell my young self he is a good and kind person and has to believe in himself, and things will get better.

gatherer
07-22-14, 10:04 AM

I rely on him more and more. When I don't have confidence, when things are going all wrong, I can often pick myself up through my religion. Reading religious material, praying, or just believing that things are in God's hands and that he has a plan for me--all of these help, especially when I'm depressed over life or some problem ADD caused in my life.

Jodi

KrazyKat4Ya
07-22-14, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone,

:goodpost:

Having been recently diagnosed with ADHD explains the inconsistencies I encounter when attempting to read my bible and attend church on a regular basis. For years I feared that I was displeasing to God in that I didnt make a concerted effort to read my bible. I still feel guilty and ashamed as I struggle so hard with this. Ill start reading and all of a sudden the words become more and more non-cohesive as I read. Nothing registers within my mind so therefore I cant retain what Id read. Then I stay away because I feel like Im not getting anywhere. Its very defeating! As Christians, we gain a close relationship with God by reading the bible so I feel very distant right now. I pray frequently for understanding (as were supposed to pray) and one day hope to gain it.

Attending church is profusely difficult for me. I feel like Im in a foreign land because Im not doing what everyone else is doing. My form of praise is not the norm as with everyone else so I feel like mine is pretentious. To put it differently, I feel like my praise isn't reaching Him because it seems like I'm just caught up in my emotions but the spirituality isn't there. I understand what my pastor is saying and for the most part can comprehend it but once Ive left the building, the sermon has left my head. And of course I don't go home and read what was preached on because of what I mentioned in my previous paragraph!

Surely God has to know I struggle with these things and Id like to think that He forgives me for being inconsistent, however, did He not make me this way? At times I feel like I'm hiding behind my diagnosis and using it as an excuse for not doing what I'm required to do as a Christian. This thought very often invades my mind and throws me into a deep depression. 90% of the time, I'm questioning my relationship with God and wondering will I actually make it to heaven. :(

The Prestige
08-16-14, 07:07 PM
:goodpost:

Having been recently diagnosed with ADHD explains the inconsistencies I encounter when attempting to read my bible and attend church on a regular basis. For years I feared that I was displeasing to God in that I didnt make a concerted effort to read my bible. I still feel guilty and ashamed as I struggle so hard with this. Ill start reading and all of a sudden the words become more and more non-cohesive as I read. Nothing registers within my mind so therefore I cant retain what Id read. Then I stay away because I feel like Im not getting anywhere. Its very defeating! As Christians, we gain a close relationship with God by reading the bible so I feel very distant right now. I pray frequently for understanding (as were supposed to pray) and one day hope to gain it.

Attending church is profusely difficult for me. I feel like Im in a foreign land because Im not doing what everyone else is doing. My form of praise is not the norm as with everyone else so I feel like mine is pretentious. To put it differently, I feel like my praise isn't reaching Him because it seems like I'm just caught up in my emotions but the spirituality isn't there. I understand what my pastor is saying and for the most part can comprehend it but once Ive left the building, the sermon has left my head. And of course I don't go home and read what was preached on because of what I mentioned in my previous paragraph!

Surely God has to know I struggle with these things and Id like to think that He forgives me for being inconsistent, however, did He not make me this way? At times I feel like I'm hiding behind my diagnosis and using it as an excuse for not doing what I'm required to do as a Christian. This thought very often invades my mind and throws me into a deep depression. 90% of the time, I'm questioning my relationship with God and wondering will I actually make it to heaven. :(

I truly believe that God sees our heart. Come to think about it, if it wasn't for my ADD, maybe I'd never be aware about my heart condition. God sure does work in mysterious ways. For example, the New Testament disciples have been very inconsistent in their obedience to Christ.(Psalm 11:3) Nonetheless, perseverance and resiliency pushed them to keep on fighting and to win the race. (Philippians 3:14)

I'm nowhere satisfied of my personal achievements so far. I feel ADD played a big role to act somewhat irresponsible or nonchalant in my life, but at least we got the blessing to know our problem. God sees our heart, He couldn't condemn a sincere heart...

The Prestige
08-16-14, 07:15 PM
If I think back of the months and years as a young child I spent being scared of going to hell or being a subject to some big all-seeing force, I wish I could go back in time and tell my young self he is a good and kind person and has to believe in himself, and things will get better.

Hi Peter,

I can totally relate to that quote. I grew up scared of God just as you did. Judgement, damnation, and the eternal fire, but what I'm realizing now is that they were false doctrine. I believe we have to be judged for our actions but the essence of God is unprecedented Love. Like I said, I grew up in Church my whole life, and it is now that I feel like starting to grasp that idea. I sure do respect your opinion but I had to say it. :)

lmg2474
08-17-14, 03:31 AM
It depends on what you consider "God." Personally, I was raised in the modern western Christian faith.

So, yes, ADD does affect my relationship with God. But my concept of God doesn't have anything to do with humanized thought processes. God is something so inexplicable and yet an integral part of everything and everyone that I've never really seen a separation between me vs. "God." This is mainly because not being able to dedicate myself to anything for too long has simultaneously resulted in a strong distaste for any dogmatized religion.

peripatetic
08-17-14, 03:35 AM
moderator note

let's be mindful of the guidelines and keep discussion to experiences had that helped without disparaging other types of experiences.

cheers in advance and any questions about this moderator note may be directed to me, SOMO or hound in private message

RobboW
08-17-14, 03:48 AM
Just today and yesterday I've been talking to a fellow here who sometimes comes to our church. He's had a troubled life and obviously has issues but my talk with him yesterday prompted him to come to church today to talk more and it seems to be helping and I feel I was put in his path for this reason, so maybe this is what my role is supposed to be? I'm faulty but this helps me reach someone else who is broken and needs help getting into their relationship with God.

mildadhd
08-17-14, 04:21 AM
The first time I ever remember praying to god, was after I knocked full glass of milk over, when I was really young.

P

BellaVita
08-17-14, 04:31 AM
I don't like how my lack of focus and attention doesn't let me spend longer periods of time with God.

Fraser_0762
08-17-14, 05:20 AM
I'm not sure if it's ADHD or not. But i'm always questioning everything. I don't believe anything to ever be absolute, therefore I always try to find alternative answers by looking at the question in different ways.

The same applies to religion/spirituality/beliefs, or whatever you may refer to it as. I always try to look at the subject differently, therefore coming to different conclusions than the accepted norm.

anotheradder
05-31-15, 09:59 PM
There was no relationship [between my ADHD and God] to speak of, until I browsed to ADD forums tonight :) I read the article on ADHD and old souls (http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2010/07/adhd-disordered-minds-or-old-souls), the familiar feeling of dj vu overwhelmed me.

Little Missy
05-31-15, 10:06 PM
There was no relationship [between my ADHD and God] to speak of, until I browsed to ADD forums tonight :) I read the article on ADHD and old souls (http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2010/07/adhd-disordered-minds-or-old-souls), the familiar feeling of dj vu overwhelmed me.

Oddly, me too.

phazonConduit
06-01-15, 03:16 AM
I have my own relationship with a higher power, which has allowed me to not only go through a late diagnosis, but also overcome (to some degree) substance abuse/addiction. I like to think my ability to let go is dependent on my higher power, and every situation that seems off or didn't work out happened for a reason.

So, for me, it's made it much stronger as I had no connection with a higher power before. I don't label my HP as God, but I do understand and accept that others do. But this spiritual connection is slowly building with continuous effort--this is much better than before because I never had anything like this before.

Since moments always feel fleeting, everything I do that becomes overwhelming now becomes easier to handle as I take everything one day at a time.

Unmanagable
06-01-15, 10:24 AM
It helped me realize all these external things I've been trying so desperately to find connection with has been right here inside of me the whole damn time, very accessible, and has been much more reliable and comforting than ANY external means I've put my trust in through the years.

icarusinflames
08-08-15, 01:51 PM
I had sincere faith in God about 10 or 11 years ago. I ended up losing my faith because of extreme marital discord (sans violence) that lasted pretty much the whole time we were going to church. The discord preceded the church experience and it also followed it to nearly the current day. Only when realizing I had ADHD about 4 or 5 months ago did I recognize how much my ADHD was a factor in my marriage problems and my problems at church.

At church, I progressively felt worse and worse about my social situation there. The church leaders were always promoting the idea of being open to other church members, so I would spend vast amounts of my time standing in the hall, greeting people. My husband served on the "worship team" (sigh) and I was often there at like 6 am, kind of waiting around as he helped set up all the equipment (yep, you're like a roadie if you get on the service team! lol) I ended up kind of over-opening myself up to too many people, yet I was not involved or included in the actual ministry team so I was not getting any advice or prayer about my efforts to be open to people at church.

I had gone from being super reclusive, to being a person who would greet just about anyone and talk to them about anything they wanted in the hall. It started to grow on me over time that everyone who talked my ear off was pretty much jabbering about their lives, like some odd conflicts they have with people at work (was a typical story) or how they collect their alimony, etc. I should not have been surprised at all the strange encounters and talk I received there! But I had this sense like I was not included in the ministry team, and yet I was heavily called to pray for people and try to just be open to them, and encourage them in their faith.

A typical scenario at the time would be this one: I invited one woman, who was often talking about her mediation at work with an employee who was trying to get rid of her from the company... I invited her to come pray with me and read the Bible. But she told me that she couldn't because she was currently studying in depth a book of the Bible and discovering new revelations in it. At that point, I pretty much despaired of having any kind of spiritual connection or relationship with anyone at Church.

I am so tempted to go in more detail but anyone with undiagnosed ADHD who was in a typical american church experience before could imagine my confusion and discouragement. I had started praying for the whole church privately and my desire for a group prayer situation (1 friend with me, or a whole group) was strong. The pastor said I couldn't start a prayer circle, for his personal reason (he wished that his wife would head it up when their youngest child would enter Kindergarten) but I felt it was all bogus and it bothered me that I was questioning his authority. I walked away without arguing, but I felt like I had argued with him and that he viewed me as a problem because I simply asked.

There were ladies at church who I spent countless hours loving and praying for who ended up turning on me and wouldn't even say hello to me in church. This I believe was stemming from an "incident" (probably the only time I had cracks in my armour and showed forth my anxiety) where I was suddenly aware that this one friend at church would not be giving me a ride to our bible study. I only learned of this by talking to her on the phone, like asking if she would be over soon. She said she was not coming at all because I had never officially asked her to give me a ride again. She had been giving me a ride the previous session of bible study, but then I did not approach and politely ask, so I was not getting a ride. I kind of lost my composure and told her that I would call another friend at church because "she's always running around giving rides to her kids and I'm sure she won't mind taking me to bible study." *SIGH*

Nothing was really the same after that. The friend I said was always transporting her kids? She stopped talking to me too! Then later, like 3 or 4 months later after all that shunning at church, she came and knocked on my car window as I sat waiting in the church parking lot and invited me to come hang out with her again and knit. I was like "ok cool" and we met up, but then she asked me for $800 because she was unable to pay her rent that month. I knew that the Bible says to give to those who ask, so she put me in a position. So I ended up compromising on my faith, and told her that I would give her $200 but it's not a loan, since the Bible says to not loan money but to give it straight out to those in need. And I said she should talk to the Pastor at the church to ask if any other individuals wuold be able to help her, to make up the different. *SIGH*

Between being overlooked by the church ministry for my calling, to my friends at church stabbing me in the back all around the same time (gossip???).... that was not even enough for me to lose my faith. But it was enough for me to want to find a new church with my husband. But during this whole period, he's got these episodes of anger and extreme marital discord, without any violence. But still, I had a new infant daughter, and the fights just kept coming. I had no idea what was behind this at all.

So when I realized that my husband was refusing to allow me to go to therapy at all, (due to religious reasons) and the people at church were shunning me and also the leadership was not encouraging me in my calling... the crappy treatment I endured from people socially was just another factor in my decision to get very alone in my faith, and then to ultimately lose it as I found the pain of my isolation grew so great, so beyond anything I had ever experienced before.

I felt more OUT-GROUPED than I had in my whole life, not even when I was in elementary school and I was completely shunned by everyone, including teachers, with the exception of the nerdy girl I stood up for when I first entered the school. That action drew upon me the reputation of being someone to avoid, I guess. I avoided them all. so it was mutual at the time and I feel it helped me tremendously to study and learn all my skills prior to seventh grade (which is another story, about how I could not even function in that middle school and high school due to them being public and a lot like the Revenge of the Nerds movies in the 80's)

My ADHD affected my faith by basically the church experience being completely distracting away from my faith and also confusing, troubling, distressing, etc. That's not to say there were not good times, but those were like in the first few months at that particular church followed by 2 years of bone grinding obedience to continue going there, because my husband didn't see a need to leave (despite my tears following church many times, and him YELLING at me in the car for crying WHILE the church members could view us from where they exit the building. seriously)

Ironically, because my mother just died and my father still goes to church there, I will have to return for the funeral. I'm not looking forward to this but I have no malice at all against them or anyone. I just feel strange and I do not look forward to anyone who knew me approaching me to catch up on the last few years... when I'm simply there for a funeral. I hope that I will be respected in that regard.

It was terribly distressing to be in that kind of group dynamic, without even knowing that I had ADHD. I was pretty appropriate in my speech as I had found it not that hard to get rid of all blasphemy, foul language and inappropriate talk. I was basiccally following the rules of being a church attending Christian and trying to have edifying speech when I was with them. In deed, my whole frame of thoughts was centered on God at the time. I was influenced by things like brother lawrence, who practiced the simple presence of the Lord, etc. I had a very simple and child-like faith, but I ended up stumbling so much at church and increasingly being in horror at my marriage being full of conflicts too.

It was good for me to step out of all that. I often think that my faith must remain very simple and it will be frustrating to Christians and non-Christians since it won't really fall into a specific category. It's not like my beliefs are unorthodox except that they are resistent to many of the good things suggested in the Bible such as I am forsaking the gathering of the Saints. I also feel no conflict in simply forgetting about my faith and sinning however I end up, because I basically think all people are sinners since I know the bible states you should gouge your own eyes out if they offend. But I know that all Christians would be walking around eyeless if they followed that literally, so we can't really claim that we are without sin. My sin doesn't trouble me the way it used to, that's for sure. And I'm actually happy I can talk about sin since most people can't even face the thought. I feel I'm healthier now, knowing my diagnosis especially, and also in recognizing that being in a religion is not a self-help plan to make you a super awesome human being. You will still want things, desire other people, find reasons to be angry and want to argue, etc. But you have more than that. That's HUGE.

aeon
08-09-15, 05:26 PM
It doesn’t.

After I was diagnosed ADHD-PI, I was still agnostic, same as ever.

And as I think about it, being a reasonable person, I don’t see that changing. That said, I remain open to new experience and information.

cheers,
Ian

dvdnvwls
08-09-15, 05:46 PM
I think that, because of ADHD, over time I have been more likely to question what I was told about anything spiritual or religious. I am too much of an atheist for most Christians, and I'm much too religious for most atheists. My doubt has no boundaries; I'm not afraid to doubt the doubters as much as I doubt everything else. :)