View Full Version : Inattentive / Sleep

Uberend
07-06-14, 05:18 PM
Anyone looked in to the relationship between sleep and ADHD pi? I'm almost certain I get REM sleep only very rarely and that could be a reason for the lethargy

sarahsweets
07-07-14, 04:56 AM
You may be experiencing the REM stage of sleep and not know it. Unless we remember our dreams we sometimes jump to the conclusion that we arent making it into this phase. You should consider a sleep study. This was an invaluable test for me and shed a great deal of light on my sleep issues.

Crosswired
07-07-14, 08:21 AM
I have ADD-PI and suffer sleep difficulties. I usually wake up every couple hours and have to get up. I just can't seem to turn my mind off at night. I lowered my caffeine intake, eat healthier and exercise more, but still can't get a good night's sleep most days.

sublime74
07-07-14, 09:13 AM
Sarah, after the sleep study, were you able to improve your sleep? Sleep is one of my biggest problems and despite knowing how much and how often I'm restless and waking through the night, and trying different things to get a better routine ... I can't seem to make a dent in the problem.

Cheers,
Greg

GRbiker
07-07-14, 11:09 AM
I originally went to see a therapist because of anxiety and sleep issues, these were his specialty. While those were presenting problems, he diagnosed me with ADD-PI and we started working on that as well. Slowly I started sleeping better, but it wasn't easy. I quit drinking coffee, tried to regulate my sleep patterns. Eventually he was able to convince me to try medication for ADD and when I started taking Straterra my sleeping habits really got a lot better.

While I still struggle with the ADD problems, they are not as serious, I feel better about myself, I'm getting more done, communicating better, and I have been better able to accept the effects ADD has had on me.

GRbiker
07-07-14, 11:33 PM
By the way, I am ADD-PI, and have always had vivid, complex dreams. Sometimes they are so active that I wake up tired from them. But there have been times when my sleep was so poor that I wouldn't remember dreaming for days at a time. This was in my worst pre-diagnosis stages.

You might be on to something. It seems simplistic, but my therapist believed that many emotional and mental disorders could be treated with good sleep. After a year and a half of experiencing this, I'm starting to believe myself.

sarahsweets
07-08-14, 04:07 AM
I did take some medication at first but what has been invaluable what training my body over a long period to go to sleep around certain times. Its called good sleep hygiene. I go to bed and wake up around the same time everyday no matter what. For me, this means I go to bed between 10-12 and wake up between 4-6. I had to do this no matter how late I was up. So even if I went to bed at 1, I was still up by 6 and I didnt take naps. This sounds like torture, and for awhile it was but I realized I had to "reset" my body and force it into a sleep wake cycle that worked for me. It was hell for many months but I had to power through it. I have a nazi like schedule now. I can wake up no problem in the morning and it only takes me about 1/2 an hour to fall asleep. This took me a year to accomplish but I am so glad I did it. Its a little more involved then I am explaining here but I didnt want to bore you with details.

Sarah, after the sleep study, were you able to improve your sleep? Sleep is one of my biggest problems and despite knowing how much and how often I'm restless and waking through the night, and trying different things to get a better routine ... I can't seem to make a dent in the problem.

Cheers,
Greg

Tmoney
07-08-14, 08:40 AM
I rememebr grown ups asking my mom when I was a kid as they would watch me bounce off the walls, they would ask my mom, "How do you get him to go to sleep?"

My mom would say I don't! All I do is make him lay still for a minute and he passes out!

Today sleep is the most important of three musts!

Diet
Exercise
Sleep

Without consistent and quality of the above three, I'm useless!

GRbiker
07-08-14, 05:58 PM
T-money, for a long time I was great at two out of three, diet and exercise. Sleep not so much, in fact my sleep troubles inspired me to exercise to excess, long distant cycling, xc skiing and running, all in an attempt to wear myself out.

Still, I'd only sleep for 5-6 hours, and often not that soundly.

Sarah, sleep hygiene is where it's at! It has been working for me for a couple of years now, but it is tough at first and occasionally afterwards. Worth the effort.