View Full Version : Adderall not working 10mg 20mg 40mg, everyday different outcome

minhessica
07-06-14, 06:44 PM
I have ADD and my doctor first put me on 10mg of generic adderall (amphetamine salts) and using it every other day. One week and by the end of that week I took it at 7:30am and by 9:00am I was out of focus during my lecture at school.

I went in again and she prescribed me 20mg generic orange adderall and on the back it has b973. On the first day I seemed to be focused, but again by the end of the week I can stay focused for about an hour and a half. Also being on This has only gotten me agitated. She recommend that I take 20mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon, which I am currently doing.

I take it regularly and everyday is different. Some days I am focused for a good 2-3 hours and other days I am not focused at all.

Today I took 40mg and I feel nothing. I am not focused at all. My side effects are normal and my bmp is around 66bmp for heart rate.

Does this mean I am immune to Adderall? I have another appointment with my doctor next week and I will tell her this.

Also, This morning I ate spinach salad and I had an apple and strawberry fruit bar. After I took 40mg of Adderall. Because it has Vitamin C it is counter reacting the drug? I'm not sure. My doctor said I could eat anything before taking Adderall.

sarahsweets
07-07-14, 04:24 AM
What comes to mind in your post is incorrect dosage and inconsistency. Adhd meds work best when taken consistently and with IR meds, taking them multiple times a day is what will keep things level. I know for me, when I was taking IR only 1 or 2 times a day, I was only getting 2-3 hours of coverage per dose. So basically I had 6-8 hours of coverage for a whole day-not helpful. The best thing for me was adderall xr but my insurance stopped covering it so I am dealing with ir. What works for me is to take multiple smaller doses. I am prescribed 60 mg a day. I take 10 mg every 2-3 hours instead of 20mg every 4 hours. This means I am able to have more consistent coverage the whole day rather than severe hills and valleys.

minhessica
07-07-14, 02:17 PM
I don't know, but I think I could be immune to these dosages of Adderall.
The first time taking 10mg I had to go back to my doctor 4 days later asking for a higher dose.

Then she gave me 20mg b973 to take in the morning and then 10mg IR in the afternoon.
I'm on that now and today I don't feel focused on any of my tasks and lecture.

I thought it was because I ate before taking Adderall yesterday, but today its not the case because I didn't eat anything before and in between my doses of Adderall.

Is it just the Adderall that my brain is getting immune to? or the does of Adderall.
I noticed when she put me on a higher dose the day of I was focused for a good 2-4 hours. But after that day, my focus has been in and out, and now I can't focus at all when I am taking the 20mg and 10mg later in the day.

heylookacastle!
08-08-14, 10:35 AM
I can't speak for the IR... the XR gives me different effects on different days.

Some days it chills out my hyperactivity so I am insanely mellow, but my focus isn't there... other days, my focus is there but I feel slightly jittery like too much caffeine...

What I have noticed though is that when this happened and I tried to vary to dosage to get a desired effect... this never worked. Whatever effect I received initially that day was just potentiated. Making it futile and really not good for overall management of ADHD in the long term.

Adderall is by far the least consistent in my opinion and i've tried everything that's available in Canada... sadly... it's the only one that seems to touch my symptoms without all the terrible side effects.

Obsessing over the dosage and getting the desired effect and symptom coverage can lead to a cycle of inconsistent doses and scheduling which is the exact OPPOSITE of what we need in terms of developing healthy routines and changing old behaviour patterns.

I find the best approach is to stick it out for 4 straight days up to 2 weeks depending on whatever your doctor says and the prescribing schedule, same dosing amounts and times... don't changed it at all... consistency is the key.

Then figure out what your overall opinion of the average effects was over the whole time...

Picking every moment apart, as well as the effects and comparing to how it effects others will get you nowhere except second guessing any benefits that you may have obtained and potentially having missed the sweet spot by tweaking it at a little too much.

Every time you take Adderall, no matter what the immediate effects, your brain's biology will try to level itself out... if you keep changing the medication variable, then you will always be off...

Just my 2 cents. Talk to your doc and ask them whether or not they think it is worth continuing with... they are the best judge.