View Full Version : Having the Hardest Time Sleeping

BellaVita
07-09-14, 05:04 AM
Hey guys,
So, lately (and my whole life) I've been having the HARDEST time sleeping.

I'm always so hyper at night and my brain goes a thousand miles if you know what I mean

My thoughts race and I can't get my brain to shut up.

The racing thoughts is probably the most disruptive thing for me.

But I need help cuz my poor sleep quality or lack of sleep is just messing with me and the less I sleep the more hyper I am next night and boom can't sleep again.

I have tried almost everything in the book. (Medications, resetting sleep cycle, exercise, no electronics/tv, hot bath, dark environment, white noise, and everything else...)

What the heck is wrong with me????

Abi
07-09-14, 05:23 AM
Mood stabiliser.

BellaVita
07-09-14, 05:31 AM
Mood stabiliser.

Thanks, yeah but it'll be weeks before I end up seeing a psychiatrist.

And been taking klonis in the meantime

Not enough to help.

BellaVita
07-09-14, 05:34 AM
My sleeping pill Trazodone (the only one that's worked) now just either does nothing, gets me irritable and can't sleep and adds more racing thoughts, just inconsistent.

If you can't tell my mind is racing right now

And the klonis I'm going to run out early if I keep taking so much they're just not doing it

Wehhh

BellaVita
07-09-14, 05:38 AM
I'm getting little to no sleep last several nights and I really really need sleep or my mind will go crazy

BellaVita
07-09-14, 05:42 AM
Oh, and while I'm at it spamming my own thread, once the sun comes up and daylight strikes me I get either sleepy and end up falling asleep OR I get irritable, agitated, a headache and doom and anxiety type feelings.

I HATE daytime. Well lately.

Night time I come alive and can laugh and feel joyful and think fast

Yeah guess I have some therapy to get to :\

Fuzzy12
07-09-14, 05:54 AM
Bells, if you are able to sleep during the day, then I think you should go for it whenever possible. A messed up sleep cycle isn't fun but sleep deprivation is worse, I think.

stef
07-09-14, 09:09 AM
yes I've totally messed up my sleep cycle here at my mom's, I keep falling asleep around 10 pm, waking up for a few hours to watch junk on TV then sleeping from 3 am to 7am. feel awful but its better than nothing...

Stevuke79
07-09-14, 09:55 AM
I struggled with sleep my whole life,.. and adderall doesn't help. The biggest thing that has helped me is serious exercise, but I know you said you already do that. Sleep is just hard work!!

One thing, and this may sound nuts, but I think there is nothing wrong with taking a 1-2 hour nap in the middle of the day around lunch time. I often do a working lunch, and sleep either before or after. The afternoon is easier because at night I'm like, "Alarm is set for 6:30am,.. OMG it's already 11:27pm!!!! Even if I fall asleep this second that's only 5:03 of sleep. .... worry worry worry .. OMFG!!! NOW it's 12:02am!!!!! I'm down to 6:28am.. think of all the things that will go wrong if I don't get to sleep.."

By around 1 or 2pm I can pretty much quantify what will or wont get done today,.. so I can sleep. Which makes me realize it's so stupid to make sleep the first thing we do before getting started for the day,.. too much pressure to do as the first thing. It should be the LAST THING! (I know that made no sense,.. more abstract conceptual if anyone can relate to my odd thinking)

addthree
07-09-14, 10:16 AM
I deal with the same thing. I agree Klonopin is the only thing that actually worked. I have only had about 4 sleep in the last 2 days. Things have gotten better I will fall asleep when I get really tired. But sometimes my thoughts ruminate especially right now when I have a huge life decision to make. I have tried everything as well. Everything. I don't think this condition is common and doctors don't really get it.

Unmanagable
07-09-14, 01:44 PM
I suffered from the same issues until recently. I attribute getting past it to the neuroptimal neurofeedback I did. I realize it isn't an option for everyone, and I hate that has to be the case, but it's what worked for me.

It's been 29 days, so far, and I'm still able to sleep without taking any sleep aid for the first time in a long damn time. I also realize now just how foggy and disoriented that combination of meds made me feel when I first woke up. I recently read that the dose of ambien often prescribed (10 mg), especially to women, is twice the safe dose. Gee, thanks, FDA, et al. I wonder how I managed to function like that for so long without falling out. I was taking ambien every night, and quite often had to include a xanax or two to get back to sleep whenever I woke in the middle of the night.

Right after my last neurofeedback session, I found a travel sized sound machine at a thrift store that plays ocean, dockside, rain, and babbling brook sounds. I turn the ocean on and set the timer for 30-45 minutes and drift off to sleep without any issues. I didn't think it would last, especially on days I had to get up earlier or was stressing, but so far, so good.

Quieting my mind through deep breathing meditation and soaking in a piping hot epsom salt bath goes a long way in soothing my savage mind into sleep, too. Not having a structured schedule that I feel pressured to follow most days allows my mind a lot more freedom to relax. That alone is priceless to me.

Hope you soon find something that works for you. Meanwhile, nap as often as you can.

addthree
07-09-14, 03:12 PM
looked up "neuroptimal neurofeedback" There is little to no description of what it is or does?
A lot of sales info. Seems very hokey.

Any insight?

Greyhound1
07-09-14, 04:15 PM
"Alarm is set for 6:30am,.. OMG it's already 11:27pm!!!! Even if I fall asleep this second that's only 5:03 of sleep. .... worry worry worry .. OMFG!!! NOW it's 12:02am!!!!! I'm down to 6:28am.. think of all the things that will go wrong if I don't get to sleep.."

I think it's the math that is keeping you up at night. It is screwing you out of 2 hrs. of sleep. You should be getting 7hrs. going to sleep at 11:27 pm. and getting up at 6:30 am.:) :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Greyhound1
07-09-14, 04:26 PM
My sleeping pill Trazodone (the only one that's worked) now just either does nothing, gets me irritable and can't sleep and adds more racing thoughts, just inconsistent.

If you can't tell my mind is racing right now

And the klonis I'm going to run out early if I keep taking so much they're just not doing it

Wehhh

Hey Bella,
I have a similar problem with sleep. I have been using Trazadone for a while and it really helps. The only problem I found was that it looses it effectiveness after using about 3 nights in a row. I take 2 or 3 days off and it works great again. It's just the off nights I do really suffer.

How many mg. do you take ?

Unmanagable
07-09-14, 10:42 PM
looked up "neuroptimal neurofeedback" There is little to no description of what it is or does?
A lot of sales info. Seems very hokey.

Any insight?

I had a hard time finding good info on it, too. Here's the best resource to explain it that I've come across. I admit that had I not been afforded the unique opportunity to experience it firsthand via the timebank, I'd still be hesitant to invest. But now, I'd love to be able to save up 5grand to have my own personal version of it.

A partial copy and paste:
What is Neurofeedback Training (NFT)?

Neurofeedback Training (NFT) shows the brain what it’s doing at each millisecond, and gives it an opportunity to decide if that’s what it really wants to be doing.

In today’s crazy world, there are many moments that would benefit from calm and resilience. But our brains are so overloaded with stressful stimuli that they can’t always react the way we’d like.
http://buzznutrition.com/BuzzNutrition/Neurofeedback.html

In my words, the neurofeedback method I had looked into with a local doc was something that was trying to program my brain towards specific outcomes and via repetitive "homework" stuff, etc.

The neuroptimal method reads your brain as it is, while you listen to music. When it detects interruptions (not sure if that the best term to use), you hear a really subtle and quick squelching sound. I envision it like a little broom and dustpan clearing the way of the useless debris to make more room for how it should be.

I have many visuals appear when I meditate in silence quite often. These sessions also tend to be quite a visual journey for me that helps connect a lot of dots. Many folks who've never experienced that usually look at me like I have two heads when I describe it. And I remember looking at peeps that way, too.

I've definitely experienced relief in several problematic areas of my life, but still struggle with similar stuff, just to a lesser degree with improved recovery time. I'm not sure how many of the relieved symptoms are strictly adhd related, but I noticed relief beginning after the 4th session. It's mostly hindsight realizations of things that just started to happen more like they should, with subtle improvements over time vs. dramatic and immediate changes.

Stevuke79
07-12-14, 08:04 PM
I think it's the math that is keeping you up at night. It is screwing you out of 2 hrs. of sleep. You should be getting 7hrs. going to sleep at 11:27 pm. and getting up at 6:30 am.:) :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

LOL!:lol: