View Full Version : Advice for Serroquel

drb471
07-10-14, 12:13 AM
I haven't been in here in several months, but decided to come in tonight with a pressing question.

I've taken Serroquel at night for the past year and a half, and it's worked wonders as far as me getting an incredible full nights sleep. However, anyone who's taken it knows how incredibly difficult it is to wake up in the morning.
I'm supposed to be taking 20mg every night, but I find that 10mg is MORE than enough. Aside from it being hard to wake up, I'm also very groggy, and VERY irritable. I've snapped at my girlfriend enough that she doesn't really like me much in the morning. I stayed at her house last night, and realized that I left my serroquel at home. While I did manage to get some sleep, we both noticed that not only did I wake up MUCH easier this morning (didn't hit the snooze button 5 times before getting up), but I was also in better spirits than usual; smiling, playful, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this? I need some advice on how to still get the great full night sleep that I get from serroquel, but also wake easier in a better mood? Are there other meds that aren't so lingering in the morning?

sarahsweets
07-10-14, 04:08 AM
personally, I have had better success with a sleeping med then seroquel ( i took this years ago). Seroquel was extremely sedating for me and the side effects were not worth it.

peripatetic
07-10-14, 12:36 PM
have you tried trazodone? i've found it efefective for sleep and i don't fel groggy upon wakeing.

Abi
07-10-14, 12:47 PM
Ambien? Xanax? Restoril?

drb471
07-10-14, 04:12 PM
I did try Trazadone years ago, and I do recall it working well for sleep. I don't recall the side effects as this was a few years ago.

sabotender
07-14-14, 02:21 PM
Well one way I deal with it is to sleep early. Usually if I allocate 8 hrs of sleep I would have less issues waking up. However I hate the inconveniences of needing to get home early and unable to do anything but sleep (so I can clock in the sleep hours) and often cheated by skipping dosage. =__=||| I will stick to it for awhile when I'm troubled by insomnia which often leads to hallucinations, but some days when nothing happens I chucked the medication aside.

also, sleeping pills seemed to have very little effect on me, and if I really needed to grab sleep, I guess only Seroquel actually did the job.

Redrum
09-23-14, 10:57 AM
I can relate, I was on Seroquel for a couple of months because my shrink at the time was sure that I was bipolar. Falling asleep was easy as hell, waking up was quite another story.. It probably took me 20 ekstra minutes each morning, never got the hang of that. I found it to be too much sedating for me to handle, it was making my depression worse, things I usually made me excited became "meh" and talking to people became weird and slow. My girlfriend also took it hard because she felt I just didn't care anymore, that wasn't true, the sedation just made it much less apparent. In the end the cons started to stack up and the pros wheren't visible, so I was slowly stopped. After that I couldn't sleep for 2 whole day, sleeping became impossible for me. But it was like life came back to me. My understanding is that Seroquel does work for some people and in particular cases it's even a godsend, but in general I have the impression that most wouldn't even give it to their worst enemies I can't remember how much I was put on, I think it was 50mg?

Addelicious
10-04-14, 05:56 PM
I have been on seroquel but I did not experience groggy feeling. I remember waking up, sky is blue, mind is alert and had some energy. Right now though, I am taking 6mg Xanax with Tampazepam 30mg to sleep. It works sometime. It depends.

Little Missy
10-05-14, 06:24 AM
I tried Seroquel for a brief time many years ago. It made me so hungry I wanted to throw some salt on my arm and gnaw the h*ll out of it while I was driving.

BOCK102
10-11-14, 02:44 PM
On days where I don't have to get up I will sleep and sleep and sleep. However on days I have to get up for work etc I'm fine. For me if I force myself out of bed and into the shower I seem to wake up fully.

maysarieltiff
08-03-16, 11:26 PM
Trazadone seemed to help me sleep, but if I did not go to bed at a reasonable hour I felt terrible in the morning. I don't know if it was the trazadone or the fact that I needed more sleep to begin with. Probably the latter. I think trazadone is a good med for help with sleep at the right dose.