View Full Version : A rant then a question.

finallyfound10
07-11-14, 01:07 PM
Of all the people in the world to continue to be in school it should not be me!! I LOVE to learn but the constraints of studying for a test, homework, writing papers, etc. My ADHD-I and Dyscalculia and throw low self-esteem, anxiety and depression into the mix, it's a living hell!!

If I had it to do over, I never would have gone back to RN school but I truly thought it was a God-thing in that that He was leading me that way. Maybe it was though, it's not his fault that I had a breakdown when I couldn't handle the first program and failed out. I never would've gotten diagnosed with ADHD-I and Dyscalulia and met you nice people!! :D

I'm studying now for the big dog- my RN exam, the NCLEX!! I honestly don't think I will pass the first time. It has a somewhat high first time fail rate so I'm in good company!

Why do I think I'm failing it?? There are a few situations in my life where I've had a very, very, very sure feeling of the outcome and they have all been correct and I have the same feeling here. There are other more "normal" reasons as well like simply not being able to remember some key labs values and other stuff no matter how many times I look at them!

Any study tips??? Any any kind of tips??? The NT's on the RN sites don't get it like you do! Thanks!!

Fuzzy12
07-11-14, 01:29 PM
Which problems exactly are you facing when studying apart from remembering values?

One thing that got me through uni was to memorise everything using associations. I used to make up little stories that incorporated each value in a list that I had to remember. I don't know what type your values are but for instance if you've got "Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium" you could make up a story like:

"Calcium had big teeth, which disturbed him while smoking pot(assium). He tried to increase the size of his cigarettes with a magnifying glass but unfortunately that didn't work."

If you need to remember numbers, you could assign a keyword to every number and incorporate these into your stories. , e.g.

0-eye
1- Amoeba
2-human
3-tricyle
4-table
etc

For key value pairs, such as: "calcium - 200mg":

"Calcium with his big teeth was in fact human, as evidenced by his
two big eyes."

It doesn't matter what the story is. I've always found the simple but whacky ones the easiest to remember.

This method doesn't aid understanding (or long term memory) but it helped me get through most exams.

Fuzzy12
07-11-14, 01:30 PM
For motivation and task planning: Kanbanflow!!! (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1663538#post1663538)

(Insanely, it actually works. :eek:)

addthree
07-11-14, 02:08 PM
You must believe that you can pass the test.
With testing I always went over material in my head over and over and study as much as possible. Also like fuzzy said assigning some sort of code or memory triggers helps too.
The biggest thing for me was to not study 48 hours before a test. The brain needs time to absorb the info.

finallyfound10
07-11-14, 02:11 PM
"Calcium had big teeth, which disturbed him while smoking pot(assium). He tried to increase the size of his cigarettes with a magnifying glass but unfortunately that didn't work."

LOL!! Such a good one! When I try those, I then forget the story at times!! I wish I had heard of kabanflow much earlier!! It looks awesome!! I could've plotted out all of my studying! I can still do it as I have till the end of the month!

Apart from the lab values*, it's also the sheer vastness of the content is staggering, the strange forms of questioning for this particular test, my still unhealed self-esteem of failing out of the first RN school is weighing heavily on my motivation.

*I have the electrolyte labs memorized but the RBC's, WBC's and Coags don't stick!!

Thanks Fuzzy!!

finallyfound10
07-11-14, 02:20 PM
Thanks addthree,

I've heard about the not studying 24-48 prior to allow absorption. I'm not sure if I buy that from a physiological and psychological standpoint. Also, for me, an emotional-mental health standpoint.

I'm a hot mess! I know me and if I'm sitting there testing and something comes up that I don't know, that I could've known and had I studied it 24-48 hours prior, the self-hate and self-condemnation I will heap upon myself will know no bounds.

I think that I will research it as a "reward" after I put in some solid study time!

Thanks add!!!

Tmoney
07-14-14, 08:54 AM
"If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a chance of being a prophet!" ~ Isaac B. Singer

I noticed that everytime you thought you would fail, you failed. Try going in with the mind set that you are going to study hard, that your going to do the best you can, and pass that test!

Who knows, you might just convince yourself and pass it!

"There isn't a person anywhere who isn't capable of doing more than they think they can!"

I wish good things for you!

finallyfound10
07-15-14, 02:23 AM
@Tmoney,

Thank you! I do honestly believe what you said I just have a heard time applying it to myself!

"There isn't a person anywhere who isn't capable of doing more than they think they can!"

MADD As A Hatte
07-15-14, 04:38 AM
I'm studying now for the big dog- my RN exam, the NCLEX!!

Any study tips???

Firstly, if you TRULY WANT TO PASS YOUR NCLEX EXAM, keep reading. If not, stop reading NOW.

Firstly, like you, and many other ADD-types on this forum, I'm also studying. However, from my perspective, a god has exactly nothing to do with my success. Putting the study time in, doing practice exams, and having a support team are the key. It's about taking personal responsibility.

If you haven't already seen this, here's a link to prac exams for the NCLEX: http://www.testprepreview.com/nclex_practice.htm

Secondly, 36mg Concerta is really, really low. I'm on 54mg Concerta plus a chaser of 20mg Ritalin in the evening, to extend my brain for evening study hours. Just puttin' it out there.

Thirdly, if you are serious about passing your exam first time, with the excellence of which you are capable, you need a cheer squad. A bunch of people nipping at your heels to make sure you've accomplished your study tasks. And who will collectively feel proud when you pass your exam. These people are right here, in the ADDForum. It's the KanBan / Accountability thread.

You'll find it if you search on Accountability, or refer StevUke79. I joined it recently, luckily just before my exam review period. Here are my final results for Semester 1:

2 x High Distinctions
2 x Distinctions

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Score ONE for ADD!!!!

Research shows ... the ONLY thing that gets anyone through study and exams etc. are
(i) PUTTING THE TIME IN; and
(ii) learning study techniques that allow you to pull the knowledge out of your **** in the exam room.

If you're serious about your exam, if you would like a supportive, encouraging ADD team behind you, keeping you focused every day until your exam ... the team in the Accountability thread will do it for you. THEY DID IT FOR ME!!!! I love them. :grouphug:

Get over there and join in!! :):):)

Fuzzy12
07-15-14, 04:53 AM
LOL!! Such a good one! When I try those, I then forget the story at times!! I wish I had heard of kabanflow much earlier!! It looks awesome!! I could've plotted out all of my studying! I can still do it as I have till the end of the month!

Apart from the lab values*, it's also the sheer vastness of the content is staggering, the strange forms of questioning for this particular test, my still unhealed self-esteem of failing out of the first RN school is weighing heavily on my motivation.

*I have the electrolyte labs memorized but the RBC's, WBC's and Coags don't stick!!

Thanks Fuzzy!!

I've found that the whackier the stories are, the easier it was for me to remember them. Some of the stories I made up, really made me laugh too and that help with both memory and relaxing a bit.

Kanbanflow is brilliant. Do join our kanban flow cheering squad!! We'd love to have you on board!!

If you have to study vast volumes of material then I think the only thing that helps is to break it up into tiny little portions and to focus on one portion at a time. Do you get a choice in your exam papers? Again, this isn't a good recommendation as it doesn't aid actually learning but I always calculated how much of the portions I need to know to be able to pass the test. Everything else you study is a bonus.

Can you get exam papers from previous years? It might be worth looking at those both to get an idea of the structure of the exam and the type of questions you can expect. Often questions are repeated also.

What exactly is it about RBCs WBCs and coags that you are struggling with?

finallyfound10
07-15-14, 12:50 PM
@MADD,

First, congrats on your exam results!!! :yes:

Thanks for the kick in the butt! I needed it! I really need a cheer squad since in my real life I am isolated and don't have much support and I need a nipping squad to keep me on track! I just PM'd StevUke79.

The God part was about how I even got into nursing in the first place as it was so crazy and out of left field that I attributed it to divine direction.

Thank you for the other tips as well. I really appreciate you taking the time to write me a lengthy response as it really helped me! I will see you on Kabanflow!!

finallyfound10
07-15-14, 01:28 PM
@Fuzzy,

I really only remember the wacky stories too!! I just joined the ADDF kanban flow cheering squad!

I know that I need to break it down into small portions but I have trouble with that which is why kabanflow will be so helpful.

The NCLEX is strange, strange animal that breaks most of rules of using Evidence Based-Practice (the current buzz in nursing) and Adult Learning Theory (what all education and evaluation of adult learners should adhere). It uses Computer Adaptive Testing (https://www.ncsbn.org/1216.htm) yet you don't have to pass all of the topic areas. Strange......

Well, the RBC's have Male/Female ranges to remember as do other labs/tests as well! I'm doing flashcards for those and doing better remembering them!!

Going to set up my board now!!

Thank you for responding and encouraging me. I need it!!

MADD As A Hatte
07-16-14, 04:09 AM
I just joined ... ADDF kanban ...

I'm doing flashcards ... doing better remembering them!!

Thank you for responding and encouraging me. I need it!!

Happy to help! If you love a good flashcard, have a look at Quizlet. It's a dream come true! Set yourself a kanban task called "check quizlet" and reset the Pomodoro for 20 minutes. Turn the telly off and go do it! Now!! [That's my finger you can feel, gently prodding you towards your computer !]

All the best