View Full Version : 4 years smoke free...not one puff! :D

psychopathetic
07-12-14, 12:01 AM
Just tooting my own horn here.

Today is my 4 year anny of being smoke free! :D :D...not a single stinking puff!

It hasn't always been easy...there in the beginning and for several months into my quit, I was battling cravings near constantly.
The cravings started to lessen however, and slowly started to spread apart. It was a really neat experience when one day I randomly realized that it had been well over a week since I had craved a smoke!
It was a really proud moment when I went out with all my friends...half of which smoked at the time...and they all lit up (back when you could still smoke in restaurants lol)...and I just had zero desire to join in with them. And it was nice, cause it didn't even bug me that evening...it's like they smoked, but who cares? It was just a really proud moment for me, cause it was further proof of how much I loved my quit. How committed to it I was. A test that I didn't only pass...but I aced!

Now I'm talking months! Months can go by where I don't have any significant cravings! And it's wonderful!

I was getting bad towards the end there too. I was up to 2 packs a day. I'd start craving a nasty stick...before I was even done with the current one I was smoking! How sick is that?
And oh god! How bad the cravings would get! How much anxiety and fear it would give me to run out!
Money was tight...and there was often times where my fridge and cupboards would be empty...but at least I had my cancer sticks. That's what was important to me. I'd starve before I'd run out of smokes.
And then I'd run out of money and out of smokes. Panic! It was miserable! That feeling. A feeling of desperation and terror and being deprived. I would have panic attacks! My entire world would zoom in and revolve solely around how miserable I was without my smokes.

I've done some horrible, disgusting, and stupid stuff to fill that hole. I've stolen from my own mother and father, I've taken stale butts from public ashtrays and lit them up, I'd desperately beg people for cash...lol once when I was real young and smoking (I was like 11'ish I think)...I let these a-hole high schoolers hit me in my shoulder as hard as they could in return for a couple of their smokes.
Stupid.

...and so I'm bewildered by the fact that I'm now here...on the other side of that addiction...being able to say I can go months without a craving.
I went from a place where it was CONSTANTLY on my mind. Something I wanted before, during, and after every single thing I did in my life. Something that caused me extreme anxiety and panic when I was deprived of it.
And now I can go months without even thinking about them!

It's amazing to be freed of that heavy chain.

It's not easy...but it can be done. I'm walking proof of that fact.

I try to remain humble as best as I can. I know that all it would take is 1 single puff for me to be back at a 2 pack a day addiction once again.
I don't believe I could handle a 'slip'...I think just a single small 'slip' would lead me down a very slippery path back into my full blown habits.
So I just have to remember to never get cocky. I'm still very much so addicted to smoking...I always will be addicted. I haven't beaten the addiction.
One day at a time.
N.O.P.E.
Not One Puff Ever.

((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Thank you guys for everything you've continued to give me!
A big part of my quit has been having online communities that are full of support, honesty and kindness. This place rocks for that!
I know I couldn't have quit without a special site that carried me on it's back through the amazing support and love I received (quitnet.com)...and to be perfectly honest, I'm not so sure I'd be able to maintain my quit through all these years without a place to vent and to keep me sane lol. I've passed on from quitnet, and have since drifted my way over into this community and I just love it here! You guys have been amazing to me!
Love you guys! Thanks for everything!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

P.S.
Here's my qnet.com stats :)

1461 days, 7 hours, 1 minute and 6 seconds smoke free.

43839 cigarettes not smoked.

$8,327.70 and 11 months, 4 days, 21 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 7/11/2010 3:00:00 PM

Unmanagable
07-12-14, 02:04 AM
You remind me of me. :) I tried my first one in the 4th grade. lol Used to snatch 'em out of the pack in dad's pocket until he started marking them and I got busted. Gave 'em up 8 yrs. ago and it's the most difficult substance I ever tried to quit, other than food-like substances. Toot that horn and pat yourself on the back often, my friend. It's quite an accomplishment. (((((Hugs))))

willow129
07-12-14, 09:04 AM
Congratulations Psycho!!!!! <3 <3

Lunacie
07-12-14, 09:59 AM
That's awesome! :D

My ex might still be alive if he could have managed to do that.

MADD As A Hatte
07-12-14, 07:41 PM
Just tooting my own horn here. ... Today is my 4 year anny of being smoke free! ... Here's my qnet.com stats :)

1,461 days, 7 hours, 1 minute and 6 seconds smoke free.
43,839 cigarettes not smoked.
$8,327.70 and 11 months, 4 days, 21 hours of your life saved.
Your quit date: July 11 2010 3PM

Toot louder - this is FANTASTIC news. Woohoo! Well done. :goodpost:

Fags must be cheap in Wyoming!! Down Under, a 20-pack of B&H currently costs about $18.00 ... so ciggy-free for four years, you'd be up $40,000!

DistractedLemur
07-14-14, 07:15 PM
Much respect!

WELL DONE PSYCHO!!!

Fuzzy12
07-15-14, 05:38 AM
Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! :)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

addthree
07-15-14, 10:36 AM
That is great. "Quitting smoking is easy I have done it thousands of times" Mark Twain

fedabog
07-16-14, 05:29 PM
Congratulations. That's a huge achievement!

I'm sitting at about 2 and a half months without a real cigarette. I still use my e-cigarette, but hey, its something!

Carolints
08-06-14, 05:34 AM
congrats!!! keep it up :)

ritesh
08-08-14, 03:35 PM
I hv left cigararrete since 1 yr and hvnt taken a drop of alchol and pure vegeterian

petester
08-12-14, 06:03 PM
Congratulations man!

MADD As A Hatte
08-18-14, 08:07 AM
What's the update?

As an aside ... I thought of you today ... Today, a friend at uni came into the library STINKING of fags. DISGUSTNG. She'd only be dry for about three weeks. PATHETIC. (Don't want to sound judgemental or anything but ... jeeeezzzzz ...)

I hope you're still managing to stay off the smokes.

More power to ya, bro. (That's 80's rapper speak, for the uninitiated. Laaaaaaughing!)

Asylum
08-18-14, 09:09 PM
You should do something - get a tattoo or a piercing or burn a bunch of cigarettes and dance around the fire naked, or something.

I was smoking 40 a day when I gave up - I can't believe it. I think I'd die if I had just one now. Do you still have smoking dreams?

Carolints
09-17-14, 05:14 AM
well done men! :)

sarahsweets
09-22-14, 06:06 AM
I so want to get where you are psycho. What's your secret?

Flory
09-22-14, 06:13 AM
Ah I need to quit it's so so expensives cigarettes cost me about 8-9 pounds a pack now (roughly $16-18) for 20 :(

Fuzzy12
09-22-14, 06:50 AM
Ah I need to quit it's so so expensives cigarettes cost me about 8-9 pounds a pack now (roughly $16-18) for 20 :(

I often wonder why I smoke. There are so many good reasons to quit smoking, health risks, cost, constantly stinking...:(.

I guess, I mainly smoke because it helps me focus and relaxes me but I think a part of me just smokes only because it gives me a reason for a break, a reason to get up from my desk and stretch my legs. I know, I could just go for a walk but somehow that doesn't tempt me so much.

I know, I should stop at some point but I think I would miss it. When I was on vacation I didn't smoke for 3 weeks and it wasn't a problem (though it probably made my anxiety worse) but when cigarettes and opportunities to smoke are easily available I find it impossible to not smoke. :doh: