View Full Version : Few questions about adderall

tilltomorrow
07-12-14, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone!

Sorry my title isn't the greatest, considering the forum I'm posting in, but when I tell you a bit about myself, it'll tie in...

I'm a 22 year old male. I'm currently 5'8" and weight 200lbs.

At the age of 12 I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 1. For 5 years I took all sorts of different medications and combinations until at the age of 17, I decided to stop. I just couldn't do it anymore. With that being said, everyone knows that most bipolar meds cause significant weight gain. When on the meds, I was up to 230 pounds.

I just recently went in to see a new psychiatrist because since getting off the bipolar meds, my mind hasn't been so clear and organized and it only got worse. I was diagnosed with ADHD and was giving 5mg of Adderall XR (to be taken once a day in the morning), however, my insurance doesn't cover the name brand so it gave me a generic called Amphetamine Salts.

So far, the only thing I've noticed is that I'm not hungry. My head is still foggy and I'm having racing thoughts, though that might just be the bipolar, but.. I'm not getting clear headed. But I don't know if it's just because it's a low dose or because I barely just started using it - it's only been about 4 days I've used it. The doc said he would increase it if needed.

But I do have a few questions regarding this matter...

1. For those who have Bipolar and DO NOT take medication for it but DO take medication for ADHD, how are you feeling with it? I'm kinda scared I might have manic episodes....
2. For those who take Adderall: did you all lose a lot of weight with it? I'm worried about losing weight because I don't want loose skin... Ugh, one problem going down for another, you know?

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

sarahsweets
09-01-14, 05:34 AM
I don't know how I missed this. My feelings on bipolar are that untreated, the quality of life you can expect is not so good and limited. Every bipolar person I've known that has not treated it has always reached a breaking point and required some major psychiatric care. Taking stimulants while being treated for bipolar can be dangerous so taking them without bipolar treatment can be a major issue. I'm bipolar and I take meds including stimulants. I'm carefully monitored and in the beginning had to really watch it to see if adderall caused any mania or psychosis. The two can be treated together but treating only one or the other can be a serious problem.

danbui80
09-30-14, 11:07 PM
I'm in the same boat - in terms of diagnosis of both.

Just started treatment.
I'm scared of medications - side effects.

I'm not much help, though I would agree with Sarah, I've reached that breaking point (had I not reached out for treatment I'm sure I would have ended up hospitalized)

Good luck to you!

Baynyn
02-01-15, 09:13 PM
I was dianosed ADD and went on Adderall 30mg twice daily. The resulting cognitive effects were great - clear thinking, lots of energy, ability to organize, you'll not only start all those projects you want to but actually make a good deal of progress towards finishing them. As far as weight loss goes, I lost about 40 pounds in 4 months on it simply because I didn't feel like eating. So that was awesome. There are some real drawbacks that are hidden - you will not feel fatigued. Your body will be wearing down as you work at a higher level for extended periods of time, and if you aren't careful, it can and will take a toll on you. And if you aren't very careful, it can induce mania. Adderall is a stimulant, that's what it does. My prescribed use of it was what led to my bipolar diagnosis after about 8 months. Now that I'm off of it, I don't know that I was ever bipolar or if it was the Adderall all along.

So be careful. The good things are oh so good, but with an identified downside, your doctor and you had better be prepared to deal with the consequences of a manic episode. Good luck!

sarahsweets
02-03-15, 05:46 AM
they treating bipolar has been just as important as treating adhd for me.